Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Aluminum BBs Vs. Lab Armor
EssOilChem
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 07:27

Quote: Originally posted by peach  
I spent today jet washing someone's garden at 3,000 psi with a 13hp washer. Fun stuff!

The alumina used for blasting is produced by melting oxides, letting it cool, crushing it and then sieving. That method (the bulk fracturing of lumps) means that the resulting grit has sharp edges to cut away at paint, barnacles, scale, gunk, etc.

There's an interesting video from one of the manufacturers showing the process, here.

Aluminium oxide dust, from grinding through refractory, is kind of soft feeling by comparison.

I remember going to a place that sold refractory when I was about 16, to get some bricks. The place looked like a Columbian coffee factory with guys in air fed bunny suits walking around, surrounded by clouds of white dust.

I always thought the Columbian plants were run by naked women playing in gasoline... or maybe thats a different Columbian plant.

Quote: Originally posted by starman  
The tech specs for lab armor only give uasable range to 180C max ,kind of disappoimting. Material is stated as "metal beads",which could be anythiing,presumably alloy.
Small brass bearings are available and may be suitable for use with magnetic stirring.

That is quite disappointing, especially considering the price, those guys are making a mint off of what sounds like chopped up scrap metal. I was definitely under the impression that it was pure aluminum, and could be used for higher temp applications.

ksj_6808
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-11-2012 at 00:00

Allright, well i used to use an oil bath until i realized it stains the glassware and near impossible to get off...I havent found a reagent yet that will remove the oil stains..Well i don't know if anyone here has tried this but i use a 3a molecular sieve bath, it's much like the bb bath, i haven't tried the bb bath but it seems they would heat faster, anyways works well for me since i have a bucket of sieves laying around to make anyhydrous solvents, i figured i may as well use them for baths too. regenerates them.
weschem
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-11-2012 at 09:33

Plus you can buy about 10000 for like 15 bucks
Swede
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-11-2012 at 12:18

How about #9 soft Pb shot as used by skeet shooters? One bag from a reloading store is 25 lb worth.

Non-magnetic, MUCH finer and softer than steel or Al shot.

Plus, you can use the Pb when needed for chemical reactions!

On the negative side, you'll have Pb toxicity to worry about, and it may stain ceramic mantle covers. I can't imagine the mantle getting hot enough to melt the Pb, but it's possible.

Tin shot? Bismuth shot as used by the waterfowl shooters for non-toxicity reasons?

[Edited on 19-11-2012 by Swede]
CaliusOptimus
Hazard to Self

Mood: Subjectively Objective

[*] posted on 19-11-2012 at 18:12

McMaster has a good selection of shot in lead, steel, and stainless. The 35-70 mesh stainless shot would probably make a really effective bath. I'd try it, but I don't have a hundred bucks to burn.
weschem
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-11-2012 at 23:49

Remember lead has a relatively low melting point at around 327 Celsius.

l0k1
Harmless

Mood: nonlinear

[*] posted on 20-11-2012 at 03:35

stainless steel ball bearings would not be ferromagnetic. but, and i could be mistaken, but wouldn't any kind of metal bath cause eddy currents and reduce the power of a magstir? for the purposes of up to around 700 celsius, i would think that tiny glass beads would be better and would not concentrate the heat quite so much.

another option that might work better still would be small beads of compressed carbon. carbon has high thermal conductivity like metals but does not acquire magnetic moments, in fact the opposite, magnetic fields are partially opposed by diamagnetic materials like water and carbon, but the counterforce is so small as to be insignificant.

a product of the type i am talking about would be this: http://www.vascaaquariumsupply.com/Seachem_500_ml_MatrixCarb...
Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-11-2012 at 01:27

It is possible to use an alloy with a low melting temperature e.g. woods metal as a bath, however they often contain lead, are expensive and some of them wet glass. Other than that, they would be the perfect heat bath!

weschem
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-11-2012 at 15:00

at the same time clean up would be a problem for using low melting metals. Indilloy 117 would be the best for that. It literally melts from the temperature created from you hand.

[Edited on 11-26-2012 by weschem]
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-11-2012 at 15:09

Quote: Originally posted by weschem  
at the same time clean up would be a problem for using low melting metals. Indilloy 117 would be the best for that. It literally melts from the temperature created from you hand.
It would be a great, except for the toxicity of both lead and cadmium in that alloy, and the expense of the indium. Fact sheet from Indium Corporation, which has the trademark on Indalloy.
chucknorris
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-12-2012 at 20:30

How about steel grains? I found a bag of 0.2-0.4mm sized stuff. I also found 0.5-1mm sized, which one is better, the smaller or larger ones?
Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-12-2012 at 15:20

Quote: Originally posted by chucknorris  
How about steel grains? I found a bag of 0.2-0.4mm sized stuff. I also found 0.5-1mm sized, which one is better, the smaller or larger ones?

If they are to be used with a magnetic stirrer then they wont work because steel is magnetic, silly.
Good stainless steel is pretty much non-magnetic however, so you could use that.

hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-12-2012 at 10:30

aluminum or copper would have a better heat conductivity.
Dr.Arz
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-10-2014 at 02:18

Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  

"I don't know if they are copper (probably plated), but they are BB's for airguns. They work much better (and less mess) than sand." ~smuv

What is that electric heater circuit in there? Can anyone tell how it can be made or where those can be bought? I have done some nichrome heaters before so if it's that simple, then I'm interested how did you insulate it?

Btw does anyone know how to calculate nichrome wire specs?

[Edited on 19-10-2014 by Dr.Arz]
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-10-2014 at 22:00

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Arz  
Quote: Originally posted by Bot0nist  

"I don't know if they are copper (probably plated), but they are BB's for airguns. They work much better (and less mess) than sand." ~smuv

What is that electric heater circuit in there? Can anyone tell how it can be made or where those can be bought? I have done some nichrome heaters before so if it's that simple, then I'm interested how did you insulate it?

Btw does anyone know how to calculate nichrome wire specs?

[Edited on 19-10-2014 by Dr.Arz]
Are you asking about the heating mantle? I could explain but... the truth is you'd be better of buying the thing alreeady made. as for Nichrome wire usually the( reputable) seller will either label the resistance or will gladly tell you. One needed forumla can be found here http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/resis.ht... and a general resistance value for nichrome is 1.1 × 10-6 Ωm but that value does change with temperature.
this might help as well ( PDF download link) http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&a...
EDIT: WIth matles I've had the best luck with a genuine Variac but I also restore tube electronics so I already had one to use. there are a few threads here that talk about using a dimmer switch with mixed results. If you mean the blue thing that is just an IKA brand hotplate /stirrer.

[Edited on 25-10-2014 by Funkerman23]

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
Oxirane
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-10-2014 at 07:20

Has anyone think of heating steel shot bath with induction heater?
Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-10-2014 at 02:01

Personally I think air baths are underrated. I use an old propane barbecue burner in conjunction with an aluminium saucepan. Place the RBF inside the saucepan and temperatures of 2-300° are easily achievable. Obviously this method takes even less time to heat up than BB's or sand, as well as being less messy.
I imagine that this method would could be difficult to use with a hotplate though, because of its lower heat output.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top