Author: Subject: WTB glassware
RonPaul2012
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

biggrin.gif posted on 8-4-2012 at 04:25
WTB glassware

Hello all :)

I am interested in a select few lab items/glassware:

1 x Vigreux column (I am only willing to spend $30 max on all condensers depending on quality )

1 x Allihn condenser

1 x Graham condenser

1 x lab thermometer with ground glass joint to fit a 10/30 or a PTFE 10/30 thermometer adapter ; like this one http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31jisxpodsL._SL500_AA3... (I am only willing to spend $20 max on this depending on quality)

1 x pipette pump (I only use 1 and 10 ml)

1 x good thermometer (I would like one that goes from -20 to 150 C or there abouts)

I know I don't need all of these condensers but I just love collecting glassware ; if anyone knows the details on condensers e.g which ones will be a better substitute for the others I would appriciate your input.

I have asked Dr. about these items and he is out of them ; I bought the last condenser he had :D.

Please don't be offended if I am picky about your items , I am somewhat new to this field and I like to be frugal with this awesome hobby (I mean art :D)

My main form of payment is postal money order.

Thank You :D

INORGANICUM
Harmless

Mood: GOOD

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 04:33

LOOK UP LABOY on ebay, great price and free post IIRC. 300MM jacket vigreux, liebig's all under £20.

Theres one pic on there of a 4/5 yr old boy holding a Vigreux thats the same hight as him, £500 IIRC WORTH A LOOK JUST FOR THE PIC
RonPaul2012
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 04:43

Quote: Originally posted by INORGANICUM  
LOOK UP LABOY on ebay, great price and free post IIRC. 300MM jacket vigreux, liebig's all under £20.

Theres one pic on there of a 4/5 yr old boy holding a Vigreux thats the same hight as him, £500 IIRC WORTH A LOOK JUST FOR THE PIC
I actually sent them an e-mail about 2 or 3 weeks ago and still no reply , I guess if it comes to that I will get a hold of them , but right now I want to see what the member of sciencemadness have first , since I have been treated very well here :D

[Edited on 8-4-2012 by RonPaul2012]

[Edited on 8-4-2012 by RonPaul2012]
INORGANICUM
Harmless

Mood: GOOD

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 04:54

They are jolly decent chaps I must agree. Have you tryed making your own with fluro tubes and a good blow tourch? its a great project and you learn quite a lot about handling & glass blowing. if you have the space, i highly recomend you try it IN ORE
RonPaul2012
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 14:19

Damn, I guess the legendary sciencemadness can't satisfy my glassware needs , haha this should feed my ego well ;)

BTT.
barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 14:27

Everyone holds on to their glassware! It's precious and expensive!

Try finding a glassblower to make what you need. I contacted one to make a flask that wasn't in any catalog. Great price too.
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 14:34

have a look in old schools and laboratories that are going out of buisiness, ive bought alot of stuff from there. the quality is very good and its cheap. only thing is they tend to be dirty and have lots of superficial scratches (mainly the schools)

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 14:47

Quote: Originally posted by barley81  

Try finding a glassblower to make what you need. I contacted one to make a flask that wasn't in any catalog. Great price too.
True but you also live in NJ. you can't get anywhere better for scientific glassblowers. anywhere else it may be a challenge( then again UGT offers glassblowing services).
RonPaul2012
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 14:51

Quote: Originally posted by barley81  

Well you may have a point but as I recall there have been quite a few members that have left the hobby for one reason or another and are trying to get back on their investment.

And I'm sure Dr. Bob isn't the only one selling glassware.

Correct me if I'm wrong .
barley81
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 14:53

Haha yeah. Vineland, NJ is 2 hours away. The entire city is dedicated to glassblowing (headquarters of Chemglass). I found a glassblower closer to me, though. Try this website:
http://www.asgs-glass.org/
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2012 at 17:51

Ron, thanks for the note.

I wish I was close to glassblower. I have a lot of stuff that needs work, repairs, pieces replaced, or unsticking. I am trying to get a hold of a few, but not easy in NC. I think there is still a shop at UNC CH, but Duke seems to have lost their glass shop, and not sure about a few others that used to in the area.

Barley, thanks for the link to the ASGS, that is great.

Also, I am out of simple 24/40 condensers (have one or two dist. heads with condensers left), but I DO have some 14/20 ones left, simple liebig/wests and a couple of coil reflux ones left. Also, I still have some dewar condensers in both 24/40 and 14/20, I will try to post some photos of those soon, just sold one. Likewise, I do have a few thermometers left, but they are a type which are hard to ship due to shipping rules (which apparently some Ebay sellers ignore or have answers to.) If there is anyone in the NC area (maybe even VA or SC as well) who is looking for thermometers, please let me know.

And if anyone wants some pieces to try to repair, fire polish, or build stuff with, I do have a number of scratch and dent items that I am willing to sell for low prices or even for shipping costs, if you are serious about trying to repair them. I have a number of slightly chipped beakers and erlenmeyer flasks, which I would sell for 1/2 price, which just need minor fire polishing. The best example is 2 L erl. flasks, I have several of those with minor chips.

Also, I have some more complex items like one or two addition funnels with cracked/broken pressure equalization tubes which I would sell for the cost of shipping and handling, if someone has access to a real glassblower who can repair and anneal these correctly. If there is someone at a Univ. with a real glassblower, I would be happy to donate them for repairing. I am slowly building up other items that need similar repairs.

Sorry to highjack the thread, but the conversation reminded me of a number of thoughts that I haven't gotten around to posting about yet.

Bob
RonPaul2012
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-4-2012 at 04:54
Help With Thiele Tube.

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
Ron, thanks for the note.

I wish I was close to glassblower. I have a lot of stuff that needs work, repairs, pieces replaced, or unsticking. I am trying to get a hold of a few, but not easy in NC. I think there is still a shop at UNC CH, but Duke seems to have lost their glass shop, and not sure about a few others that used to in the area.

Barley, thanks for the link to the ASGS, that is great.

Also, I am out of simple 24/40 condensers (have one or two dist. heads with condensers left), but I DO have some 14/20 ones left, simple liebig/wests and a couple of coil reflux ones left. Also, I still have some dewar condensers in both 24/40 and 14/20, I will try to post some photos of those soon, just sold one. Likewise, I do have a few thermometers left, but they are a type which are hard to ship due to shipping rules (which apparently some Ebay sellers ignore or have answers to.) If there is anyone in the NC area (maybe even VA or SC as well) who is looking for thermometers, please let me know.

And if anyone wants some pieces to try to repair, fire polish, or build stuff with, I do have a number of scratch and dent items that I am willing to sell for low prices or even for shipping costs, if you are serious about trying to repair them. I have a number of slightly chipped beakers and erlenmeyer flasks, which I would sell for 1/2 price, which just need minor fire polishing. The best example is 2 L erl. flasks, I have several of those with minor chips.

Also, I have some more complex items like one or two addition funnels with cracked/broken pressure equalization tubes which I would sell for the cost of shipping and handling, if someone has access to a real glassblower who can repair and anneal these correctly. If there is someone at a Univ. with a real glassblower, I would be happy to donate them for repairing. I am slowly building up other items that need similar repairs.

Sorry to highjack the thread, but the conversation reminded me of a number of thoughts that I haven't gotten around to posting about yet.

Bob
Hey I'm glad you found that 10/30 for me , I would prefer to buy from you anyways :D

I am also interested in a thiele tube , but I feel that I don't need one.

Do you guys think a test tube filled with oil and a small oval stirbar set on low would work ?

[Edited on 11-4-2012 by RonPaul2012]

Go To Top