Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What to do with all this ammonium sulphate?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 27-11-2020 at 11:50

Tetraamminecopper peroxodisulfate indeed is somewhat energetic, but it also is unstable. If you store it, then after a few days it has decomposed to some basic copper salt, which has lost all its energetic properties. Not really interesting to make. A better thing is making tetraamminecopper sulfate monohydrate. This can be made from a concentrated copper sulfate solution, to which an excess amount of concentrated ammonia is added, so that a very dark blue (nearly black) solution is obtained. To this, you have to add some ethanol in order to reduce the solubility. After some time, you get really nice dark blue crystals of tetraamminecopper sulfate monohydrate. In a closed vial, these can be kept indefinitely.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 4-12-2020 at 14:02

I've precipitated the material with methanol, which is cheap and available in the U.S..

The Tetraaminecopper Sulfate, is beautiful and apparently non-energetic.

Not so, the Nitrate, which I have seen detonated, in YouTube videos.

Now, the original post, was a long time ago. That Ammonium Sulfate has probably passed on.

So, the question is: What to do, with Ammonium Sulfate, folks have now?

Ummmm. Well, possibly if you Microwave it under vacuum, you can vaporize and remove the Ammonia.

Eventually leaving you with Concentrated H2SO4, which isn't very volatile.

Now, I don't need to do that. I can buy concentrated H2SO4 at my neighborhood, Home improvement center, or Hardware store. Cheap too.

Some of you however, are in countries where H2SO4, is harder to acquire.

This technique also works for producing Phosphoric Acid from Ammonium Phosphate, or dehydrating Phosphoric Acid, until it approximates Poly Phosphoric Acid.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 31-3-2021 at 00:59

I don't think that strongly heating ammonium sulfate produces H2SO4.

First, on heating, it loses ammonia. I have tried that myself and it definitely gives off ammonia. What remains behind becomes acidic. It could be considered impure NH4HSO4 (ammonium bisulfate, mixed with ammonium sulfate).

I suspect that on stronger heating, there will be complete decomposition by internal oxidation/reduction. The ammonium ion then reduces all sulfate to SO2 and H2O, itself being converted to N2. I think that on strong heating of ammonium sulfate you get a mix of NH3, H2O, N2 and maybe a little H2SO4 or NH4HSO4, which is reformed from the gas mix. No way to obtain pure clean H2SO4.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 31-3-2021 at 06:46

It is my general understanding that heating ammonium sulfate leads first to the bisulfate, then to the pyrosulfate (250-300 C):
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=4689

Pyrosulfates decompose around ~400 C to SO3; NH4Br decomposes at 450 C, and HBr is similar to H2S2O7 in Hammett strength, so I expect the sulfate anion to decompose before losing NH3. The result is most likely redox decomp. I imagine the products are quite noxious, so if you're trying to make the pyrosulfate, heating should be careful.

I would also imagine that ammonium pyrosulfate is probably good for something, but I'm not sure what. Maybe sulfamate?

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top