Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Very interesting stir bar
albqbrian
Hazard to Self

Mood: Alternatingly paranoid or pi**ed

[*] posted on 15-4-2012 at 23:37
Very interesting stir bar

Check out this baby offered on Ebay. Granted it's expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Floating-Stir-Bar-Stirring-Teflon-PT...

It is a normal stir bar suspended off the bottom by a thin, plastic, three-legged "cage". What you get is a stir bar that can't hit the bottom or the sides of the vessel it's in. Pretty cool. It has an "Make an Offer" option; I wonder how low he'd go?
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 16-4-2012 at 04:50

Cool,

I have used a "ghetto" version of this which consisted in a 1L beaker, the ceramic bottom plate of a dessicator (it has holes), and three ceramic isolators as standoffs. You put the stirbar in the middle of the beaker and the three standoffs on the sides, then the bottom plate over. I use this setup to stir the acid when I attempt to dissolve a metal.

You can't use the stirrer at high speed or the standoffs may be displaced, but just the small movement of the acid greatly accelerates the reaction with the metal and prevents foaming from occuring.

Robert

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 16-4-2012 at 06:50

It's a stirbar for cell cultures, and the point of suspending the stirbar is to not grind the cells to mush.

And if you have a magnet that flies and jumps off into the walls you are either doing it wrong or the stirrer plate is crap, the latter being the most probable reason. The only stirrer apparatus magnet I ever was happy with was a analog Heidolph MR-something, everything else is just crap compared to those magnets and hot plate.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Go To Top