Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Checking out books from the library
inspector071
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-4-2012 at 18:25
Checking out books from the library

My college's library has quite a few books on energetics (Urbanski, Davis, etc), but I feel timid attempting to check them out, thinking that they are likely tagged as "dangerous". Is this a myth, or should I have no fear in checking out books that are provided in a college library?
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 19-4-2012 at 08:01

Realistically this question is too subjective as to location, politics, school policy, past issues,etc for a direct and all-encompassing answer (IMO). Some schools MAY have a "watch & record" issue on the material due to past experience or the politics of the Dean or faculty. Others may have no problems what so ever. If very few people have checked them out; naturally, your name will stand out. Nothing prevents you from reading them or Xeroxing significant portions of them however. If you look at the area where you live; their generalized politics toward "objects" and past history; you may get a better idea. If you have a College of Mining, I wouldn't think that it's an issue. However if your school offers little in that area, (energetic chemistry is not all too common in many places) it IS an odd purchase.

As to the idea that the books are "tagged" - I have seen some fairly stupid agendas in the past. If there had been a history of problems; it's possible that someone may do something that draconian. But there are too many "unknowns" to say certainly that a ridiculous agenda like that would never be attempted.

Many years back I worked for a county library system. The administration had strong feelings on freedom of knowledge. Yet our world gets smaller and concepts of government get more invested in control. Realistically, I think this query rests more on opinion and the social workings of a particular area than an all-encompassing "yes" or "no" answer. There are local social complexities that make this question more in-depth than may appear superficially. Additionally, laws have changed since the last decade or two.

[Edited on 19-4-2012 by quicksilver]

Go To Top