Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Making Sodium Silicate
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-12-2014 at 05:51

Chris:

Firstly the normal oxide of sodium is Na<sub>2</sub>O, not NaO.

Secondly, although titration will yield an approximate results, we rarely titrate anything that also generates much precipitation, it's inaccurate.

Your titration would be stoichiometrically (for metasilcate):

Na2SiO3 + 2 HCl === > 2 NaCl + SiO2 + H2O

Is that how you calculated your result?

The method would improve by using a pH indicator added directly to the analyte solution, like methyl orange, phenophtalein or bromothymol blue. Even home made indictators (from red cabbage e.g.) would work better than pH strips.

Also using a less concentrated analyte solution (e.g. 0.01 M approx.) and HCl 0.01 M will cause less interference from the precipitating SiO2 and improve end-point detection.

Commercially bought sodium silicates will often tell you their composition though.

[Edited on 13-12-2014 by blogfast25]

CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-12-2014 at 10:37

Thanks for the corrections should have paid more attention though to the NaO mistake. Yes I calculated as per the equation. Also I did use phenopthalein on one of the titrations according to jumbled disorganized notes from a long time ago. But speculation here is useless. I will do this one again. And yes, I also wrote that dilutiing severely will tend to form a colloidal silicate rather than a gel.

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
dermolotov
Hazard to Others

Mood: Free

[*] posted on 13-12-2014 at 12:57

I've researched a lot of sodium silicate as I've wanted silicon dioxide for my purposes at home. Kitty litter is sodium silicate but the blue is contaminated with cobalt chloride. There also seem to spray some annoying scents on them.

What I would do to clean it all up is pick out the blue ones from the white ones. That can get tedious so put on a movie whilst you're doing it (that's what i did). Then slowly saturate the beads with water to prevent cracking and when fully saturated, just wash it with copious amounts of water. Then run half a bottle of isopropanol over them as well to get rid of the scent.

Going through your original problem, if you want to rid it of mould, try leaving a dish of Propylene Glycol/Water solution. That stuff is very good for countering mould in a lot of places. It's also fairly inert.
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 13-12-2014 at 13:10

Thanks for finally registering and joining us here on the forum, Dermolotov. I do doubt, however, that the original author still hasn't found something to treat the mold (look at the original post date). And if you want silicon dioxide, why not get some fine white beach sand(it might be sold in hardware stores near you) and treat it with some hydrochloric acid to dissolve away impurities?

Oh and as an update, the sodium silicate I made from fusing sand and NaOH seems to be the real deal; it works for making crystal gardens, and the precipitate formed when it is mixed with a copper sulfate solution doesn't decompose upon heating, ruling out Cu(OH)2.

CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-12-2014 at 13:23

Quote: Originally posted by No Tears Only Dreams Now  
Thanks for finally registering and joining us here on the forum, Dermolotov. I do doubt, however, that the original author still hasn't found something to treat the mold (look at the original post date).

Hallo? The original author did not Resurrect this thread, and yes he has a mold solution - scrubbing. I simply was trying to answer your question about how to test the sodium silicate. Besides, The original question was not about mold removal at all.

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
dermolotov
Hazard to Others

Mood: Free

[*] posted on 13-12-2014 at 13:42

Thanks for finally registering and joining us here on the forum, Dermolotov. I do doubt, however, that the original author still hasn't found something to treat the mold (look at the original post date).

Quote: Originally posted by CHRIS25  

yes he has a mold solution - scrubbing. I simply was trying to answer your question about how to test the sodium silicate. Besides, The original question was not about mold removal at all.

Cheers mate! Great to be on here!

My apologies. His original post was not related to mould removal but he did later add and addendum mentioning it was one of the reasons he believed sodium silicate would work for his purposes. Hence me recommending propylene glycol.
PG 50:50 with water is used to keep cigars humid and free from mould. Same should be with his garden bed.

Oh and as an update, the sodium silicate I made from fusing sand and NaOH seems to be the real deal; it works for making crystal gardens, and the precipitate formed when it is mixed with a copper sulfate solution doesn't decompose upon heating, ruling out Cu(OH)2.

I'd imagine column silicon dioxide shuld be cheap as hell. they come in giant barrels that even a hobo could afford. I'm surprised that hasn't be recommended?
Flaming Silica found on the beach and washing it with HCl might purify it even further! :)
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top