Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Insulated fractionating column
Amy Winehouse
Harmless

Mood: Saucy

[*] posted on 25-4-2012 at 14:26
Insulated fractionating column

Hi everyone

Theory says that an isothermal column will help to create more defined theoretical plates, how have you all tried insulating your columns? Will neoprene pipe insulation work? I have some other ideas, but in a related discussion, how much more efficient is thermally isolating say, a 20cm vigreux for example; or any column for that matter. Is it a huge factor in separation of temperamental solutions? Or is it unnoticeable and one of those "it can't hurt but...meh" things?

Thanks all!:D
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 25-4-2012 at 14:46

I use a 20cm Hempel column, double walled, as my fractionating column. The only time I have added insulation (fiberglass wrapped in aluminum foil) was when I was fractionating a high boiling point mix and I needed the extra insulation just to give it enough heat.

The double-walled glass is insulation as it provides a dead air space.

[Edited on 25-4-2012 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 25-4-2012 at 16:07

If it's unnoticeable, it is. Use a thermocouple and see how easy it is to maintain temperature.
It's very noticeable to me at times. I'll use heating tape, cotton, fiberglass, foil. Thin fiberglass blanket like the former Pyrex borosilicate product is super handy when compared to home insulation.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 25-4-2012 at 18:19

Sometimes all I need to use is a dish rag wrapped twice or so around the column. Really depends on whats in the distillation flask and if I am using a claisen, etc.

bbartlog
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-4-2012 at 18:53

Quote:
Will neoprene pipe insulation work?

If you're talking about the foam sort of stuff they sell for this purpose - yes and no. I had a piece that fit really well on my Hempel column and it was a good insulator. Then I tried to drive ethylene glycol through the column (bp 190somethingC) and melted the bottom part to sticky black goo. So, as long as you're within the temperature limits of the material... it works fine.
These days I usually use dishcloths, like smaerd. But if I felt the need for serious insulation I'd dig out something better.

[Edited on 26-4-2012 by bbartlog]

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
Amy Winehouse
Harmless

Mood: Saucy

[*] posted on 25-4-2012 at 20:51

Sweet, thanks for all the responses everyone.

Quote:
So, as long as you're within the temperature limits of the material... it works fine.

Damn, I hadn't considered that before, I rarely run anything with a BP past 150C at atmospheric pressure, but it's definitely good to think about.

Dish rags...lol. So simple, but awesome.

Go To Top