Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  13    15
Author: Subject: Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide
Simoski
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-5-2019 at 06:09

The company that I ordered from delivered MEK and not MEKP.

There goes that idea!

johnmay
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-5-2019 at 22:58

Quote: Originally posted by Simoski  

There goes that idea!

Well.. Im kinda suprised that you even expected some company to deliver such an explosive to private person in first place.

Regards,
John
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-5-2019 at 01:48

MEK is not an explosive itself. It can be used for various things.
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 23-5-2019 at 03:19

There goes that idea!

well it's not a surprise given the price ($3/L) and the fact that they shipped it to you. shipping 1L of explosive surely requires lots of paperwork, licenses and money.

tumblr_m44mzvDuVz1rvdh8no1_400.gif - 569kB

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Simoski
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-5-2019 at 13:16

I live in South Africa, it's the wild west of chemistry out here, Nitric acid, sulphuric acid, benzene, ammonium nitrate all available to the general public without a license and that's just to name a few.

So yes I expected MEKP and complained when I got MEK, they apologised, citing a mistake on the advert.

[Edited on 24-5-2019 by Simoski]

johnmay
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-5-2019 at 07:12

So yes I expected MEKP and complained when I got MEK, they apologised, citing a mistake on the advert.
]

Lol,
Up in my country the guy with the package would be from security agency.
And nobody cares when you complain from behind the bars :)

Regards,
John
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-5-2019 at 08:31

I live in South Africa, it's the wild west of chemistry out here, Nitric acid, sulphuric acid, benzene, ammonium nitrate all available to the general public without a license and that's just to name a few.

[Edited on 24-5-2019 by Simoski]

That sounds amazing! I would move there if it wasn’t for the white genocide and thugs with cell phone jammers going from farms to farm to take land by murder. Stay safe bud!!
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-5-2019 at 11:15

I have family there. It can be dicey if you don't know which areas are ok and which are not.
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-5-2019 at 11:24

I have family there. It can be dicey if you don't know which areas are ok and which are not.
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-9-2019 at 16:31

Quote: Originally posted by alien14305  
Yesterday I just made 15 extra dollars in tips so i am gonna start to go buy some stuff to make some dynamite. I am going to buy wallpaper glue for the casings and some steel pipe to wrap the casing around when making it. I got the idea of a good safe way to make a detanator safely but i can't soak it into nitrates. Ok i will drill a 3/8 inch hole aboout 3 inches deep into an 10"x8"X6" solid oak block. I will crimp copper tubing shut at one end and the other end put a 1/8" steel rod it to the tube and crimp the other end of the tube around it. This will leave an 1/8" fuse hole. I will put the tubbing into the oak block and take a chemical resistant eyedropper and drip the MEKP into the tubbing through the fuse hole. When I get 1 milliliter into the cap I will then insert the fuse through the hole. I take the finished cap out of the oak block which i think will shield most of the blast if the cap does go off. I then wrap the whole cap in duct tape and help hold the fuse in. I think this will be safe to do.

"Yesterday I just made 15 extra dollars in tips so i am gonna start to go buy some stuff to make some dynamite."

After I was done laughing a bit I have had a smile on my face for a wile now after reading that.

Its sounds perfectly reasonable to me, sounds like a pretty fun way to go spend $15. Just thinking though if you were say that to "normal" (boring) people and their reaction. You are going to go do what ??

I like the idea of shielding but when I read about the oak block though I thought of that video I saw looking at pyro stuff on u tube "splitting logs with flash powder", it didn't take much.

I think you could have two or more oak projectiles if things went wrong.

[Edited on 23-9-2019 by Pyro_cat]
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 23-9-2019 at 12:11

The citation is from 2002. But is it pretty funny. THe Oak block etc. Entire is it an absolute mad operation. According description. Any way, we are on the madness pages. Thus is, all OK...:cool:

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-1-2021 at 18:25

And 19 years later

What nasty stinky stuff this MEKP is. Made with HCl got this silver liquid, the oily part that reports with hammer is like Homogenized with the rest of it, no two layers. Haven't done neutralization yet. Maybe the resulting salt will make it float ?

Mekp is a challenging project. I really want to see if what I made works to cure polyester resins. No reason it shouldn't I just like the idea I made it.
Average Joe
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-1-2021 at 14:04

Quote: Originally posted by Pyro_cat  
And 19 years later

What nasty stinky stuff this MEKP is. Made with HCl got this silver liquid, the oily part that reports with hammer is like Homogenized with the rest of it, no two layers. Haven't done neutralization yet. Maybe the resulting salt will make it float ?

Mekp is a challenging project. I really want to see if what I made works to cure polyester resins. No reason it shouldn't I just like the idea I made it.

It has been several years, but I do not remember anything “silver” about the synthesis. MEKP was always a clear liquid, viscosity similar to vegetable oil, and separated on it’s own, but MEKP is stinky. I would be concerned about contaminants in what you describe. I suggest you inspect your precursors for impurities and consider not making MEKP.
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-2-2021 at 19:35

Quote: Originally posted by Average Joe  

It has been several years, but I do not remember anything “silver” about the synthesis. MEKP was always a clear liquid, viscosity similar to vegetable oil, and separated on it’s own, but MEKP is stinky. I would be concerned about contaminants in what you describe. I suggest you inspect your precursors for impurities and consider not making MEKP.

It looked just like the picture on page 3 when your signed in page 11 if you not.

[img]https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/files.php?pid=163845&aid=8800[/img]

Several days in a graduated cylinder chilled and 5ml of clear thick oily liquid formed on top of the original 30 ml gray silvery stuff that behaved like what should be pure MEKP.

Soaking the end of bottle rocket sticks in it they popped with flame ignition and drops detonated easy with a hammer hit on the test plate.

Same with paper soaked in it.

Probably right my starting MEK was junk but the only photo on the thread also shows gray stuff.
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-2-2021 at 19:47

Long gone now anyway. Adding the gray solution to water and sodium bicarb just made a much larger volume of mess. Looking back and having experimented with the gray stuff seemed like it just needed to be dried out and was mostly MEKP.

It was a fun project even if I didn't conquer it.
Average Joe
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-2-2021 at 16:02

@Pyro_cat,
The picture you referenced looked to me like it has a cloudy/foggy emulsion of MEKP and the neutralization solution in the neck of the flask. Which, in my experience, would fully separate out into two layers within a few hours.
It's hard for me to say if your "gray silvery stuff" was an emulsion or MEKP with a solid contaminant. Filtering or more time letting the stuff settle out might have helped in determining that. Sorry that I couldn’t have been more help in identifying or determining what caused the gray silvery contaminant.
Your tests were consistent with what I would expect with MEKP.
I would say you were at least mostly successful in making MEKP.
I agree, relatively safe adventures with energetic substances can be a lot of fun.
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-2-2021 at 19:09

My gray stuff did not float even when putting salt in the solution the first time.

I used HCL to make it because after seeing the reaction sulfuric and chlorate sugar it just seemed like better idea.

I read that as you dry things out and water leaves and sulfuric concentrates it can get set things off.

The OP says use sulfuric and no one called it out as wrong and maybe sulfuric pulling water gives a better product.

I am only a few moves away from getting it. I only tried twice and learned from that is my problem is seperating the product from the rest of it,

From my observations so far a centrifuge would have been useful. Took days for normal gravity to put that clear layer on top.

But like you said before who knows how much MEK is in that tin can labelled MEK the people that buy it only care if it dissolves what the label says it dissolves.

I guess if I want to go any further with this hobby its time to get gear to distil and recrystallize reagents.

Next project is flash powder. Got nitrates and peroxides to work chlorates is the next challenge.

Sugar rocket with a flash top.

Pages:  1  ..  13    15

Go To Top