Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Organic Chem Further Knowledge
nitroboy
Harmless

Mood: Feeling Strange

[*] posted on 15-5-2004 at 04:25
Organic Chem Further Knowledge

ok. i know pretty much all the basics about organic chemistry. such as isomerism, nomenclature, and some simple functional groups. but i really need to further my knowledge. can anybody maybe point me in the direction of some really in depth organic sources online, or maybe recommend some top-notch organic books? much thanks
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 20-5-2004 at 16:02

If you are interested in the synthesis' of organic chemicals then "Mann and Saunders Practical Organ Chemistry" is good as well as Vogel. Mann and saunders is available coutesy of Polverone here:
http://bcis.pacificu.edu/~polverone/

Also here is a site of organic reactions
http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/thirdyearcomputing/NamedOrganicReac...

[Edited on 21-5-2004 by rogue chemist]
Geomancer
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-5-2004 at 17:43

When I'm in the library, the general organic text I gravitate towards is March's "Advanced Organic Chemistry", which is quite common (every college library seems to have at least one). One of the nice things is it provides lot of references, so you can look up specifics on many things, if you can find a library with the appropriate journals.

The only text I have at home is McMurry's "Organic Chemistry", one of the more popular introductory texts. Most intro texts will probably be similar. Like most high volume textbooks, it is big, heavy, and expensive in comparison to its utility.

There are many decent internet sources, especially for introductory material, but I don't have a list.

Edot: You probably noticed I gravitate towards the somewhat theoretical side of things. Good cookbook procedures are so much more useful if you know why they work. That said, if someone offered me two chemistry books right now, I'd go with March and Vogel: the theoretical and the practical. Both are old standbys and quite common.

[Edited on 21-5-2004 by Geomancer]

Go To Top