Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cracking Diesel Fuel
Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 20-5-2012 at 10:46
Cracking Diesel Fuel

Quote:

In petroleum geology and chemistry, cracking is the process whereby complex organic molecules such as kerogens or heavy hydrocarbons are broken down into simpler molecules such as light hydrocarbons, by the breaking of carbon-carbon bonds in the precursors. The rate of cracking and the end products are strongly dependent on the temperature and presence of catalysts. Cracking is the breakdown of a large alkane into smaller, more useful alkanes and alkenes. Simply put, hydrocarbon cracking is the process of breaking long-chain hydrocarbons into short ones.

More loosely, outside the field of petroleum chemistry, the term "cracking" is used to describe any type of splitting of molecules under the influence of heat, catalysts and solvents, such as in processes of destructive distillation or pyrolysis.

Somebody has information or experiment about Cracking Diesel Fuel or Kerosene?I think interesting components will be made
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 20-5-2012 at 14:36

I recall an experiment in chem class ( ~30 years ago) where we passed kerosene vapor over heated porcelain chips, then tested for double bonds in the product. Is that any help?

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 20-5-2012 at 21:04

Thank you my friend for you reply.Can you share your result?
I heard that cracking Kerosene with suitable catalyst can make different components like N-heptane,Acetone,...

I am not looking for compound with Double bond just i am looking for making useful compound by this method(kerosene is very cheap here)

[Edited on 21-5-2012 by Waffles SS]
fledarmus
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-5-2012 at 04:27

These are huge processes on an industrial scale. Crude oil typically produces far more straight chain heavy hydrocarbons (diesels, kerosenes, and paraffins) and far less small highly branched hydrocarbons (gasoline) than demanded. Catalytic cracking and reforming convert the lower demand products into higher demand products.

Unfortunately, some of the earlier work in this area was so broadly patented that it is very difficult to get patents on the process anymore. This means that the large plants that are carrying on the work hold the catalysts and conditions as very tightly kept trade secrets.
Cloner
Hazard to Others

Mood: apocalyptic

[*] posted on 21-5-2012 at 04:29

You get alkenes if you heat kerosene vapour over red hot steel wool. You also get smaller alkanes. Unfortunately, this type of mixture is likely to contain a mix of many things. You can get some alkanes boiling in the range of n-heptane but there will be many branched isomers in it.
leu
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-5-2012 at 13:12

The attached article, Applied Catalysis A: General Volume 270, Issues 1–2, 30 August 2004, Pages 9–25 and United States Patent 4299733 may be illuminating :cool:

Attachment: GEN-PAPYR-1046-FCC-CATALYSTS-by-DE-LASA-in-APP-CAT-A-GEN-V-270-ISS-1-2-PP-9-25-Y-2004.pdf (739kB)
This file has been downloaded 945 times

[Edited on 27-5-2012 by leu]

Attachment: US4299733.pdf (151kB)
This file has been downloaded 582 times

Chemistry is our Covalent Bond

Go To Top