Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mixing HMTD with urea nitrate or ammonium nitrate
Practicaler
Harmless

Mood: Exploding

[*] posted on 31-5-2012 at 23:02
Mixing HMTD with urea nitrate or ammonium nitrate

Guys i know this topic might be looking unappropiate . Guys i know mixing HMTD with urea nitrate or ammonium nitrate is a deadly wish and i am not going to mix them. I want to know that how does people mix HMTD with urea nitrate or ammonium nitrate . Do they use any solvent for mixing them or they use to mix it in water and then let it to evaporate or they mix the dry powdered urea nitrate with HMTD .
VladimirLem
Hazard to Others

Mood: Have no fear <Vlad> is here.

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 06:21

made my day :D

franklyn
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 14:25

The preferred embodiment is to introduce HMTD inside of an aluminum tube
lined with polyethylene film and topped with a pyrotechnic priming charge.
This then can be placed into a booster charge to set off the urea nitrate.

Moderator place this into Detritus please.

Practicaler
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 20:40

I am not talking how to set urea nitrate i am asking that how can we mix ammonium or urea nitrate with HMTD
TheMessenger
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-6-2012 at 23:11

Blend the AN with 2% lampblack or charcoal beforehand. Put in a paper cup. Just toss the HMTD on top of the AN... Attach cup to a long stick and shake. Works fine...

The charcoal tells you if it's fully mixed or not. If it's not fully mixed it is more hazardous. Good stuff... 5000+m/s and a good 1+ RE IMO. Use like 83/17 AN/HMTD oxygen balanced... Needs a lot of flash(5g+ Confined Flash) or a cap. It's only like 1/3rd less shock sensitive than HMTD even when the AN is blended extremely fine to prevent friction.

HMTD has very low reactivity to aluminum. Weeks in contact at room temperature and no change in aluminum or HMTD. Inspected clean shiny aluminum with microscope.

[Edited on 2-6-2012 by TheMessenger]
Practicaler
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 02:57

Thanks the messenger I think 50 : 50 ammonium nitrate with HMTD is flame sensitive and doesnt need a blasting cap and it can be detonated by flame.
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 03:04

I should've figured that guys who make such dump mixtures wouldn't care anyway about how fine are the particles and how well are mixed.
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 06:06

I think the finer the particles the more effective it will works . When you are making 50:50 mixtures extreme care should be taken because it can explode
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 07:14

No need for extreme care. You are either prepared to die or not. I would mix them only if it's like that I'm in prison and it's the only way to break open my cell. And from MEKP, AP, HMTD-HMTD is the most sensitive and worst fuel and generally comes in bigger crystals.

[Edited on 2-6-2012 by Ral123]
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 08:04

Quote: Originally posted by Ral123  
No need for extreme care. You are either prepared to die or not. I would mix them only if it's like that I'm in prison and it's the only way to break open my cell. And from MEKP, AP, HMTD-HMTD is the most sensitive and worst fuel and generally comes in bigger crystals.[Edited on 2-6-2012 by Ral123]
nice joke ral123 but HMTD is generally powder.
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 09:37

Needles, crystals, I dont know what, it takes more time then ap and I'm pretty sure it'll be with bigger particle size then my fast low tempreture synth of ap.
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 09:41

ral123 i have made HMTD lots of time and i always get extremely fine powder. by the way in jail you wont be having access to all these chemicals to make bombs there
CrEaTiVePyroScience
Hazard to Self

Mood: Explosive

[*] posted on 2-6-2012 at 12:31

@Vikascoder I wouldn't say that, if your in a medium or low secure prison you can actually make explosives.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 06:02

Anyway, dry HMTD, contacted by flame, spits up a flame 10' high. Just shy of explodes. So I don't see why admixture w/ something much less sensitive would make a positive difference here. The only time I have gotten HMTD to go off on it's own, was to slowly heat/dehydrate it. Once you exclude every last molecule of water in there, it can go off high velocity through simple application of additional heat. Scarey shit. I'd never mess around w/ explosives ever again.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 06:57

HMTD normally deflagrates by simple ignition!
Heating on a plate will cause it to detonate ─ on slow heating, though, it may simply decompose . . .

Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 07:59

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
HMTD normally deflagrates by simple ignition!
Heating on a plate will cause it to detonate ─ on slow heating, though, it may simply decompose . . .

i heated my HMTD on my heating plate then it just deflagrated with a puff sound . My HMTD only detonates with shock . Is there any possible way to detonate it in open without providing shock.
VladimirLem
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 08:28

Quote: Originally posted by Fennel Ass Ih Tone  
Anyway, dry HMTD, contacted by flame, spits up a flame 10' high. Just shy of explodes. So I don't see why admixture w/ something much less sensitive would make a positive difference here.

i had 7g of that Mixture (~75/25 - AN/HMTD)...put it into a hole in the ground with normal fuse and that worked pretty well...shit was loud as hell and dirt flyin everywhere :o
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 09:20

Vladimirlem how did you mixed HMTD with ammonium nitrate
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 15:06

Gentlemen:
I don't see any chemistry or physics discussed here. An Energetic Peroxide mixed with many nitrates will yield a reaction from flame. Yet what is taking place is a "thinning" of the energetic material. In order to learn understand water-gel component, the peroxide is inappropriate. Water-gels (an INDUSTRIAL water-gel) are generally a slow "shoving" design, that are sealed and initiated by explosive train dynamics. There are complexities therein as (water-gels) are often made from de-milled energetics and the volume of water is formulated to increase density.
The warning re: peroxides is appropriate. They do not belong DRY industrial / potential shock agenda. Mixing an energetic peroxide with a dry nitrate is a prescription for a problem (friction) and adds nothing to the energy yield.

IF there IS a source material of mix nitrate, etc - it should always be quoted here, so that the concept may be examined in full light of detail and application.

[Edited on 6-6-2012 by quicksilver]

VladimirLem
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 09:25

Quote: Originally posted by Vikascoder  
Vladimirlem how did you mixed HMTD with ammonium nitrate

lol...lets say you want to mix sugar and sand....how do you make that?
caterpillar
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-6-2012 at 00:04

Once I made similar mixture- TATP + AN. I told many times, that TATP is not something extremely dangerous (compared with another primaries, of course), but here I have to agree with majority. It was not the most clever experiment and I'll never do it again.

Women are more perilous sometimes, than any hi explosive.
Vikascoder
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-6-2012 at 20:38

@Caterpillar what was the ratio of T.A.T.P and AN and what results did you found after mixing them
caterpillar
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-6-2012 at 18:16

Quote: Originally posted by Vikascoder  
@Caterpillar what was the ratio of T.A.T.P and AN and what results did you found after mixing them

I do not remember now, it was in 1977. Something like 50:50. Does it matter? It exploded after ignition. It was the longest day in a year- June 20. Just after mixing I had no result (or, more precisely- result was that it didn't exploded during mixing). 20-30 gr, something like this.

Women are more perilous sometimes, than any hi explosive.
badabooom
Harmless

Mood: bangin

[*] posted on 15-8-2012 at 12:49

Normally a ratio of 90AN/10 AP remains sensitive enough to detonate with a AP blasting cap yet insensitive enough to be handled with reasonable safety. Note that I said reasonable safety, meaning handle with care and use your common sense. I'm not going to ramble on about safety, if you are willing enough to use sensitive energetics then you should be willing to read up on safety before you do anything.

Back to the point, I could never set that ratio off by just using flame or heat. It had to be set off using a small but powerful blasting cap.
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-8-2012 at 19:42

How did you mix them and at what density? The ap/hmtd must be there as a fuel also, not only as sensitive component, may be if they wouldn't be well mixed it's better to add a little fuel also.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top