Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Good material to substitute for asbestos in hot plate?
Biochemscientist
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-6-2012 at 22:00
Good material to substitute for asbestos in hot plate?

Hi all.

I was recently taking apart my old Fisher Scientific hotplate to repair a short in the heating element, and I noticed that the heating element is insulated by a couple layers of fibrous white sheets made of a material which I assume is asbestos. The insulation sheets are getting old and are beginning to flake and fall apart somewhat, and I would like to replace them with a material which is less hazardous than asbestos. I am wondering if anybody here is aware of a good material that would function well as an asbestos substitute for this type of application?

Thanks!
inspector071
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-6-2012 at 22:55

How old is the hotplate? The stuff could be just fiberglass. If it is in fact asbestos, something like fiberglass would substitute nicely, I imagine. Got any pictures of the material?
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 03:52

Does it look like this? Only I use this kind of stuff in lots of applications around the lab, e.g. in my mini-furnace, homemade mel-temp apparatus etc. and it is some sort of mineral fibre stuff. My uncle is a gas/electricity repair man and he gave me several large sheets of this stuff, although I can't be certain what he uses it for.

[Edited on 4-6-2012 by Hexavalent]

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 04:11

Is the flaky stuff falling out of the hotplate during usual work? If not, leave it alone. It won't hurt you even if it's asbestos. I use asbestos mats (in iron netting) for occasional heating over the flame. I don't blow them and I don't shake them. Powder dispersion is minimal. After they've cooled down, I put them in a plastic envelope.

There's nothing wrong with asbestos if you use it carefully, especially if it's inside a hotplate where it's safe. You won't die or get cancer. It doesn't evaporate, and it's insoluble.
You get asbestosis if you work at least several years in an environment where asbestos powder is gliding through the air, such as asbestos cement factories and nearby environment, etc.

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-6-2012 at 05:40

Quote: Originally posted by Biochemscientist  
I am wondering if anybody here is aware of a good material that would function well as an asbestos substitute for this type of application?
Without good photos, it's hard to say what the actual configuration is, but I can hazard a guess. The material I would think you're looking for is generically called ceramic fiber cloth. It's usually a non-woven material, much like felt, made of refractory fibers, that is, not glass. Woven versions are available, though I doubt you need it for a hot plate. Thinner versions are called "paper", thicker ones "blanket". Major brands are Fiberfrax and KaoWool.

Go To Top