Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Im empty and bored.
vampirexevipex
Hazard to Self

Mood: Happy :D

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 15:36
Im empty and bored.

Hello! Right now i dont have any money neither a proyect to make a specific solution.
Im the kind of person that has to do something or it would die of boredom, so im bored and i want to know what chemicals can be extracted from household drugs like acetaminophen.

Feel free to flame me because of not doing some research myself (i cant find any reactions with acetaminophen)

Why when you add poop to sulfuric acid... a orange precipitate forms?
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 16:01

You could invesitgate the chemistry between bleach, ammonia, and dilute hydrogen peroxide. And possibly acidic toilet pool pH regulator of sodium bisulfate toilet cleaner.

Hypochlorite bleach reacts with hydrogen peroxide to form oxygen bubbles. Boiling bleach causes disproportionation into chloride and chlorate. The potassium salt of chlorate is significantly less soluble than the chloride, so separation is possible.

Bleach and acid (do not use vinegar) makes chlorine gas.

Ammonia and bleach undergo a complex reaction, depending on reactant concentrations and pH, but typically produces vigorous bubbling of poisonous chloramine gas.

Quote: Originally posted by Formatik  

Under what conditions can ammonia be oxidized to NH4NO2 ?

The Ber. ref. from Hoppe-Seyler describes it. Namely, strong solutions of H2O2 with a few drops of NH4OH or solutions of ammonium carbonate (with or without NaOH or Na2CO3) can be let to stand 24 hours without any nitrite formation occurring. But upon longer standing, even with a small amount of hydroxide then nitrite forms. Nitrite also forms when a dilute solution of H2O2 is mixed with NH4OH and a little Na2CO3 and is evaporated over pure conc. H2SO4 with a bell jar.

H2O2 forms (even in very dilute solutions) nitrite very rapidly, if the H2O2 solution is mixed with a few drops of NH4OH and a little NaOH or Na2CO3, and this then boiled in a retort to a very small volume. They suggest this nitrite formation as a demonstration experiment because it is very quick to do, and then after acidification of the colorless liquid with H2SO4, the HNO2 can be nicely be proven to be present.

If you have nail polish remover (acetone) it can be reacted with bleach to make chloroform, then condensed with more actone under alklaline conditions to form chlorobutanol. The chlorobutanol could then be separated out and reacted with chlorine gas to form a hypochlorite ester.

If you have ethanol (drinkable alcohol), it can be chlorinated to chloral hydrate.

You might want to do a search of this forum for the details.

Hope this helps. Be careful.

[Edited on 11-6-2012 by AndersHoveland]
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 16:49

i know what being without money is but you got to get 9 volt batteries and start electrolyzing pesos, quarters,nickels and make copper chloride or copper sulfate or carbonate. make electrolite solution with salt or battery acid then convert to carbonate using baking soda.crush aspirin and separate the salycilic acid then make copper aspirinate. burn wood and collect the ashes and make pearl ash or get an empty paint can and fill with carbonatious matter and distill ammonia or methanol. anything but stay busy .get bleach and peroxide and dissolve any kind of metal.i wish i had this forum back when i was a kid i swear i would've broke down rocks and dissolved nails instead of breaking windows and such.i learned from this kid right here to make lead acetate using copper sulfate and vinegar and dropping in a piece of lead. i also dissolve silver with vinegar and peroxide. hell i felt like midas when i learned how to copper plate things,everything went metallic pink for a while around my house.

[Edited on 11-6-2012 by cyanureeves]
thelonious
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-6-2012 at 19:49

Mixing boric acid with methanol or ethanol makes trymethyl (or triethyl) borate, which burns with a really nice green flame. (I've gotten better results with methanol than ethanol, I wonder why)

This is how I'm entertaining myself while I wait for my distillation apparatus to arrive in the mail :D
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 00:43

If you send me your address I will send you some cash.

How's THAT for a reply!

Dann2
vampirexevipex
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 06:09

Thanks! This would cure my boredom until i get money, oh and dann2... Haha no thanks :P .

vampirexevipex
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-6-2012 at 04:49

Sorry for double posting, is because i cant edit my last post.

Anyone know any reactions with Manganese? That doesnt need HCl or Oxalic acid?

Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 13-6-2012 at 09:21

Manganese exhibits a wide array of diverse chemistry....you could prepare lots of its salts by precipitation, displacement, electrolysis and more. You could also prepare some of its complexes if you read up on them.

HCl and oxalic acid are usually easily purchased from hardware stores or online for a small cost....not usually terribly expensive.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
vampirexevipex
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 16-6-2012 at 04:46

Quote: Originally posted by thelonious  
Mixing boric acid with methanol or ethanol makes trymethyl (or triethyl) borate, which burns with a really nice green flame. (I've gotten better results with methanol than ethanol, I wonder why)

This is how I'm entertaining myself while I wait for my distillation apparatus to arrive in the mail :D

Hmmm... Does isopropyl alcohol reacts with boric acid?

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-6-2012 at 16:06

Paracetamol can be interesting. The functional groups present can be utilized to produce interesting compounds. Its also good in that one of the heteroatoms is protected straight out of the box! Work on Versuchschemie shows conversion to p-benzoquinone, while methylation and hydrolysis gives p-methoxyaniline, which can be used to make 8-methoxyquinoline, or p-bromoanisole, the latter of which can be further taken forward to give 4,4'-dimethoxytrityl alcohol, on reaction with say, methyl benzoate. The possibilities are endless (well... within reason!).

Go To Top