Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for platinum wire
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

sad.gif posted on 19-6-2012 at 16:12
Looking for platinum wire

This is my last(desperate) attempt to get platinum wire, on ebay wire are too thin or too costly. On internet shop I can only buy 20cm+ which cost a lot. I'm looking for 4 to 13cm of 0.5mm platinum wire. The wire need to be shipped to Canada. This wire is for electrochemical experiments. Please send U2U with price to me if you have an offer.

Thanks!!!

[Edited on 20-6-2012 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.
strontiumred
Harmless

Mood: Delocalised

[*] posted on 20-6-2012 at 00:21

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLATINUM-metal-wire-99-999-PRICE-p...

OK - It's 0.45mm thickness and not that cheap!

Perhaps also ask Fleaker?

[Edited on 20-6-2012 by strontiumred]
hyfalcon
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-6-2012 at 02:15

I've bought platinum wire from dealers off ebay. The last person I bought from was wanting any and all old oxygen sensors. Makes me think that that is his source for platinum. He must be digesting the sensor from around the platinum.
Broken Gears
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-6-2012 at 06:23

I got a small piece of ΓΈ0,45*65mm Pt 99,9% wire. I can send it to Canada for 35 EUR:)

foto.JPG - 79kB
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-6-2012 at 07:19

I would have to imagine that jewelry suppliers deal with far more platinum wire than chemical suppliers do. Since they deal with more volume, they're also more likely to sell close to the spot price.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 20-6-2012 at 07:28

I suspect that a jeweller or jewellery supply houise is the place to go, fo instance;

http://www.esslinger.com/roundwire30gaugeplatinum12piece.asp...
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 20-6-2012 at 10:15

Someone made a very good offer and at this time I consider this post as resolved.

thanks to everyone that attempted to help my!

Thanks!!!

[Edited on 20-6-2012 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 18-3-2020 at 06:24
Platinum Bar Availability

Considering that platinum is very useful in chemistry, I was interested to see the latest fluctuations in the platinum spot price:

platinum.jpeg - 43kB

It took a nosedive down to $564/oz, rebounded quickly, and is now slowly hovering close to about $600/oz. If the spot price drops below $600, I may purchase 1 oz just to have on hand for various experiments. Not much is needed for catalysis anyway, but the bulk metal is needed when making a robust platinum electrode.

Anyway, I checked my usual online sources...only to discover that every place that sells these metal bars close to spot is completely sold out. The only (domestic) places that seem to have this available are asking prices close to $1000/oz. There is a narrow spread between the market bid and ask price right now, only about $5 per oz.

So what gives? Is the low price caused by large players dumping truckloads of platinum on the market, while at the same time there is a shortage of available bars for small-time buyers?

[Edited on 20-03-18 by WGTR]

elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 18-3-2020 at 10:51

Quote: Originally posted by WGTR  
Considering that platinum is very useful in chemistry, I was interested to see the latest fluctuations in the platinum spot price:

It took a nosedive down to $564/oz, rebounded quickly, and is now slowly hovering close to about $600/oz. If the spot price drops below $600, I may purchase 1 oz just to have on hand for various experiments. Not much is needed for catalysis anyway, but the bulk metal is needed when making a robust platinum electrode.

Anyway, I checked my usual online sources...only to discover that every place that sells these metal bars close to spot is completely sold out. The only (domestic) places that seem to have this available are asking prices close to $1000/oz. There is a narrow spread between the market bid and ask price right now, only about $5 per oz.

So what gives? Is the low price caused by large players dumping truckloads of platinum on the market, while at the same time there is a shortage of available bars for small-time buyers?

[Edited on 20-03-18 by WGTR]

Most bullion sellers I've seen sell above spot and buy below spot to ensure they profit. Bars might not be your best bet for a platinum source - I remember when I looked into this last time I found the Nugget King's online store sold platinum nuggets for fairly cheap. Maybe look there?

[Edited on 3/19/2020 by elementcollector1]

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 18-3-2020 at 12:40

Contact draculic acid.
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-3-2020 at 21:14

Thanks jsum1 I've already sent a pm.
Heptylene
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-3-2020 at 09:27

I got some Pt + 6% Rh thermocouple wire from ebay a while ago. It was sold at the spot price of the metals, so I jumped on it. The downsides is there is rhodium inside, but it's useful as an inert electrode. It was used to make very high temperature thermocouples, so maybe look for thermocouple wire suppliers?

Go To Top