Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Your source for chemicals?
Zan Divine
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wishing all the worst that life has to offer to that SOB Wayne Lapierre

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 08:07
Your source for chemicals?

Around here, one frequently hears the lamentations of a chemist without a source for something he needs.

We also see our fair share of circuitous & labor-intensive methods and attempts to DIY it instead.

I can't speak to those of you outside the US about our domestic sources (since you need to get your items across an ocean), but I've found that those of us in the US have some really sweet ones.

One of the best selections around is at www.noahtech.com
A small sampling of their offerings: PCl3, PBr5, Ba(OH)2, CaH2, CaO, hexanes, HF, NH2OH[dot]HCl and NaBH4.

So, let's make this thread a compendium of sources for synthetically useful starting materials and reagents. This may actually belong elsewhere, but in that case many people who should may not see it. Do you use a supplier that we should all know about? Do tell.....

[Edited on 3-7-2012 by Zan Divine]

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of some of the pain of being a man. --HST

Sublimatus
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 09:03

Elemental Scientific, LLC:
http://www.elementalscientific.net/

They sell many things that you'd never expect to be available to the private citizen, and in smaller quantities. Only downside is that it takes about a month on average to get your order. Even so, they're invaluable.

United Nuclear
http://unitednuclear.com/

A real ally of the amateur and hobbyist. Maybe a bit pricy for certain things, but a good source nonetheless.
Magic Muzzlet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 09:40

I never understood why people post their sources when they require you to be a company, it's pretty much useless for most here. Unless you know something we don't, Zan? It sure would be nice to get their phosphorus compounds.
99chemicals
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 09:48

Here is my contribution.

Duda diesel
http://www.dudadiesel.com/

They have the best prices that I could find on KNO3 and they also sell some nitric acid.

Alpha Chemicals
http://alphachemicals.com/

Never ordered from them but they sell in bulk.

Roto Metals
http://www.rotometals.com/

Sells ingots of non ferrous metals

Gallium Source
http://galliumsource.com/

Lowest prices on all Alkali and alkaline earth metals. They also sell mercury.

H.M.S. Beagle
http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/beaglewebstore/StoreFront.b...

Never bought from them but they seem to have a good selection.

Do you have mole problems? If so, call Avogadro at 602-1023

My Youtube Channel
Zan Divine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 10:06

Quote: Originally posted by Magic Muzzlet  
I never understood why people post their sources when they require you to be a company, it's pretty much useless for most here. Unless you know something we don't, Zan? It sure would be nice to get their phosphorus compounds.

It seems that you know something I don't. Where on NOAH's site does it say that "the buyer" has to be a company? Perhaps I missed it.

One of my element customers, whom I no reason to think is lying, told me he buys chemicals there.

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of some of the pain of being a man. --HST

Zan Divine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 10:15

Quote: Originally posted by Sublimatus  
Elemental Scientific, LLC:
http://www.elementalscientific.net/

They sell many things that you'd never expect to be available to the private citizen, and in smaller quantities. Only downside is that it takes about a month on average to get your order. Even so, they're invaluable.

Wow, that's a great site! That one tip made the entire thread worth it.

Magic Muzzlet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 10:20

I went to the checkout and the first thing it requires for your info is your company name, I strongly doubt an individual can legitimately order P compounds freely from them without faking a name or something of the sort. I've tried many websites similar to this, some that don't have the red star next to company name, and I always get emailed and then I reply and they don't reply back because I'm obviously not with a company.

When you see that the name or institution is a required field it's always a bad sign, you can almost be certain you will not be able to order, they wil cancel it even if you pay with credit card. They (being these types of companies requiring that info) don't want a thing to do with you most of the time.

[Edited on 3-7-2012 by Magic Muzzlet]
sbbspartan
Hazard to Self

Mood: DEAD (diethyl azodicarboxylate)

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 11:27

Has anyone ever tried this website. http://www.soapgoods.com/Barium-Carbonate-p-777.html?osCsid=...

It's called soapgoods, and they sell chemicals for the making of soap. They have a suprising amount of chemicals to chose from including, Ammonium Chloride/Sulfate, Sodium Bi/Carbonate, Barium Carbonate, Benzoic Acid, Borax, Boric Acid, Calcium Choride/Sulfate, Citric Acid, Dipotassium/Disodium phosphate, Ferric Sulfate, Guar Gum, Hydrogen Peroxide 3%, iodine tincture, Lauric Acid, Malic Acid, Magnesium Carbonate, Mineral Oil, Oxalic acid, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Potassium Benzoate/ Carbonate/ Chloride/ Hydroxide/ Permanganate/ Metabisulfate/ Glycol/ Sorbate, Salicylic Acid, Sodium Acetate/ Benzoate/ Bisulfate/ Citrate/ Hydroxide/ Metabisulfite/ Perborate/ Stearate/ Sulfate/ Sulfite/ Thiosulfate, Sorbic Acid, Stearic Acid, Sulfur Powder, Titanium Dioxide, and Zinc Oxide to name a few.

They have pretty low prices as well, with a pound of Sodium Hydroxide for only $5.18 or a pound of Barium Carbonate for only $3.76. They say that they try to ship the next day, with most orders in the U.S. coming within 3-4 days. Price for shipping isn't too bad, especially if you order more than a couple pounds. I have never bought from them before. Has anyone else? They seem like a good company with very reasonable prices with a good selection of chemicals.

Check out my new website at http://www.theamateurchemist.com and my new store at http://store.theamateurchemist.com/ .

Zan Divine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 12:07

Quote: Originally posted by Magic Muzzlet  
I went to the checkout and the first thing it requires for your info is your company name.....

Thanks for the clarification MM. I never went to checkout, just the terms & conditions.

I'll have to ask my customer how he managed to get past the requirement.

I don't accept the argument that hazard level alone always determines availability, though. After all, I've purchased potassium, 48% HF (talk about dangerous...) and even an ounce of thallium from commercial suppliers. I don't believe that PCl5 is a bigger hazard than thallium or HF, just different.

GalliumSource, for example, will sell you most anything the owner can access.

[Edited on 3-7-2012 by Zan Divine]

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 13:58

Most of the old-timers on this forum, including those not living in the US, have developed a fairly good list of suppliers. This comes with time and effort, and sharing with those that are trusted by U2U.

The reason most of these old-timers don't freely publish their suppliers' names is to protect them. They are concerned that if the list is prominently available to all newcomers, that the sizeable fraction of "cooks, kewls, & idiots" will abuse said sources, and they will be lost due to LE/agency harassment, etc. Notable examples are the harassment of United Nuclear and a popular supplier in Europe that was forced out of business.

I'm ambiguous about my feelings on this. On the one hand I want to help my fellow home chemists and support my suppliers. On the other hand I don't want to lose them due to the actions of the unresponsible "chemists.".

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 14:04

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
Most of the old-timers on this forum, including those not living in the US, have developed a fairly good list of suppliers. This comes with time and effort, and sharing with those that are trusted by U2U.

The reason most of these old-timers don't freely publish their suppliers' names is to protect them. They are concerned that if the list is prominently available to all newcomers, that the sizeable fraction of "cooks, kewls, & idiots" will abuse said sources, and they will be lost due to LE/agency harassment, etc. Notable examples are the harassment of United Nuclear and a popular supplier in Europe that was forced out of business.

I'm ambiguous about my feelings on this. On the one hand I want to help my fellow home chemists and support my suppliers. On the other hand I don't want to lose them due to the actions of the unresponsible "chemists.".

I unfortunately have to agree with you, it doesn't take many idiots or injuries to make a supplier say "screw it, now we can see why the other guys sell only to businesses"

eBay is always a good place to find lots of nice stuff though, some sellers have things they can sell that aren't even advertised, just need to ask the right ones :)
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 14:31

Some things help;

1) Over 18
2) Professional qualifications
3) Business name and address

Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 14:47

Sigma Aldrich (I live on a boat, and by law we got the same adress as the opposite building, and the opposite building happens to be one of the top labs in belgium :P)
Labstuff.nl (lots of glassware for good prices and chemicals)
mistral lab chemicals
Alfa Aesar

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
DoctorOfPhilosophy
Hazard to Others

Mood: enthralled

[*] posted on 3-7-2012 at 17:32

WHAT, BOAT ADDRESS? Not to be a postwhore but that's VERY lucky. I got to see if that's true in Canada...
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-7-2012 at 00:55

yes, in Belgium, if you stay somewhere you often just get the address of the building opposite you, and they let you sort out the mail, across from us is this laboratory: http://www.crl-mappit.be/contact/
we often get packages of chemicals and stuff from the postman because they are not there, and we just give it to them :P and when they get our mail they give it to us. the canal you see on the picture is of our mooring spot, but we weren't there when the pic was taken :(

heres a pic (not from me) of the mooring spot, as you can see its right across from the lab. (our boat is the farthest one)

[Edited on 4-7-2012 by Pyro]

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 4-7-2012 at 03:59

Quote: Originally posted by Pyro  
Labstuff.nl (lots of glassware for good prices and chemicals)

Labstuff.nl is a great company, they sell virtually everything, except a few true drug precursors (like saffrole, amphetamine and derivatives) and the really toxic stuff (arsenic compounds, thallium compounds, certain organics). The main problem for most people over here on sciencemadness is that they only sell chemicals to Dutch people. Besides that, they only sell true lab chemicals, so no cheap KClO3 for a few bucks per kg, but reagent grade for EUR 10 per 250 grams or so. For me this is good, it keeps away the k3wls who want a quick and cheap BOOM and you know that the chemicals are of excellent quality. I know of people from Germany who tried to order chemicals from Labstuff, but this was not possible. Maybe Labstuff sells to Belgian people (pyro?).

I purchased many chemicals from them, and some of these chemicals are quite special, such as hydrazine hydrate, acetic anhydride, acetyl chloride, perchloric acid. Unfortunately, most of these chemicals must be picked up locally and even inside NL these are not shipped.

I agree with Magpie that sharing good sources has two sides. I also really want to help serious home and hobby chemists, but I also fear the kewls and cooks who can spoil things. I now already know of two companies in Europe which had a fantastic range of chemicals and both had to quit business, due to abuse of these chemicals by private persons. So, if people want to know good sources in Europe, then I am willing to share mine through U2U.

[Edited on 4-7-12 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
plastics
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-7-2012 at 08:08

I'm with woelen on this one. My chemical supplier list has been built up with a lot of hard work and some good luck over the last three years. One European supplier I used stopped selling and one of my previous very good UK suppliers simply refused to dispatch to private addresses one day as it was too much hassle. With my current list I can obtain most of what I want - I just feel I don't want to share any contacts with people I haven't had an opportunity to get to know or trust

I also agree that having stuff delivered to one's business address and possessing a few professional qualifications as well as giving good legitimate reasons for the stuff you require is a great help
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-7-2012 at 08:11

labstuff is awesome, he only sells to neighbouring countries though (20 EUR for shipping). and shipping tends to be really slow.
but he has great items like 3 neck flasks for good prices, etc.
he seems really busy because the site is closed half the time

Swede
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-7-2012 at 08:36

I've attempted orders from Sigma Aldrich and one or two other MAJOR suppliers in the USA, and have been consistently shot down, even though I have a valid corporation.

Their system detects "residential addresses" and kicks them right out, even if your order is for NaCl. Extremely frustrating.
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-7-2012 at 09:07

ouch, do you get your money back at least?
you need to mail them if you have a valid laboratory.
it can't just be any company...

Mercedesbenzene
Hazard to Self

Mood: Sub Zero

[*] posted on 4-7-2012 at 18:00

I buy from new horizons scientific and Alfa Aesar for most of my chemicals. New horizons is great as they sell to amateurs and they have a physical store. They are based out of Surrey near Vancouver
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2012 at 04:28

Quote: Originally posted by Mercedesbenzene  
I buy from new horizons scientific and Alfa Aesar for most of my chemicals. New horizons is great as they sell to amateurs and they have a physical store. They are based out of Surrey near Vancouver

Alfa Aesar asked bank records proving I'd been in business for at least two years! Ringadingdong...

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 5-7-2012 at 04:48

I do not put any effort in getting chemicals from the Big Ones. Alfa, Merck, Emergo, et.c. are totally unwilling to do any business with private persons and more and more they are also unwilling to do any business with smaller or unknown companies like start-ups or art ateliers. My experience: totally useless for amateurs and nearly useless for small businesses!

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Zan Divine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-7-2012 at 17:16

I wonder if these seriously twisted and intrusive policies explain why even a materials science professor at a small downstate NY community college buy his bromine from me rather than order from the usual suspects? He said it's easier despite the fact that my price is several times the usual catalog price.

I grew up in a time when we respected natural selection and we didn't much need to have all risks mitigated by rules from bureaucrats. If you blew off a finger as the result of a learning experience, well, you never did it again. Pity todays over- insulated, insular little darlings with their bike helmets and knee pads...imagine the world they inherit.

And if the concern is terrorism, well, in that case law enforcement should just do their jobs and stay off our backs.

(Betcha' can't guess what era marked my formative years...)

[Edited on 6-7-2012 by Zan Divine]

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 5-7-2012 at 19:39

Quote: Originally posted by Zan Divine  
I wonder if these seriously twisted and intrusive policies explain why even a materials science professor at a small downstate NY community college buy his bromine from me rather than order from the usual suspects? He said it's easier despite the fact that my price is several times the usual catalog price.

My son has some friends who work for a local high-tech company. He said they have been buying their work-required 95% ethanol through the state liquor store (Everclear). Reason: it's cheaper faster, and less hassle than dealing with all the paperwork required by the chemical supply houses.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top