Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: brick sodium
m1tanker78
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-7-2012 at 16:02

Quote: Originally posted by Maya  
[...]and putting the dogs in their crates will do.

I had to think about that one for a second. Yeah, a chunk of sodium would be a dog treat from hell. :o

Tank

Chemical CURIOSITY KILLED THE CATalyst.
RadioTrefoil
Harmless

Mood: Inert

[*] posted on 17-7-2012 at 23:42

Quote: Originally posted by vmelkon  
Besides the chisle and kitchen knife advice above, you can heat sodium under oil until it melts and then you suck up the sodium with a glass syringe and dump it into a mold of your choice.
There was a video of that on youtube. The guy had a 4.5 Kg brick. He had bought a glass syringe (large) for 5 $ from ebay.

Haha, I saw that video (from SodiumInfo). It didn't look particularly safe, he just had a pan full of molten sodium on an open gas stove. Don't you think it would be a bit of a fire hazard?

MESITYL FREAKING OXIDE
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 18-7-2012 at 03:56

To me, it looks like the part where he has the block in the pan is safe. The sodium is covered by oxide so it should be fine.

The part where he takes liquid sodium out looks dangerous. I have to admit I don't have experience with sodium. I don't know why it didn't immediately oxidize (the part where the sodium was on top of the silicone molds). Weird.
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 18-7-2012 at 06:13

Quote: Originally posted by vmelkon  
To me, it looks like the part where he has the block in the pan is safe. The sodium is covered by oxide so it should be fine.

The part where he takes liquid sodium out looks dangerous. I have to admit I don't have experience with sodium. I don't know why it didn't immediately oxidize (the part where the sodium was on top of the silicone molds). Weird.

It's never covered with oxide(s). The "rust" is a mix of hydroxide, carbonate and hydrogencarbonate. The older it is, the more hydrogencarbonate there is.
What's protecting sodium is a thin layer of its protective liquid. It simply won't do any harm as long as it's wet with kerosene.

Sucking the melt with a syringe is not dangerous if the syringe can handle the temperature level. Even if the melt falls out, as long as it doesn't contact incompatible compounds, it won't ignite. Sodium can ignite only when sodium vapors are present in quantities above mere traces, and that's around its boiling point and above.

It might even be a good idea to leave it to solidify in a syringe. A nice ingot can be made that way.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top