Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Make chloroform
TheAMchemistry87
Harmless

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-7-2012 at 15:01
Make chloroform

I was wondering if i can make chloroform by 150 ml of 3% sodium hypochlorite solution and 50 ml of acetone and using a stirrer and mixing for half an hour then using a seperatory funnel to recieve the product . Can this process make chloroform? And also should i perform this outside / a fumehood or is it safe doing indoor?

3 NaClO + C3H6O = 2 NaOH + CHCl3 + NaC2H3O2

Thanks

-AMchemistry

[Edited on 8-7-2012 by TheAMchemistry87]

[Edited on 8-7-2012 by TheAMchemistry87]
MrTechGuy1995
Harmless

Mood: Lab Envy

[*] posted on 8-7-2012 at 15:10

The process will work, however a few notes that I'd like to make:

The ratio between NaClO and Acetone is to high, If anything you'd want to have Acetone to be the limiting reagent.
Otherwise some acetone will be left over and dissolve in the chloroform. Which makes it difficult to get it pure, since the boiling points are close to each other.

50mL is way to much, I would scale that down to around 5mL at most.

The other think you need to keep in mind is that, this reaction can get out of hand and 'Run away' easily.
Despite having low concentrations, add Ice to the mixture of Sodium Hypochlorite, Just to be sure.

If you can, drip the Acetone into the solution to make sure it doesn't heat up much at all. Otherwise it can cause side reactions which we don't want.

Last note to make, you won't make much chloroform from this, probably around 4mL not even.

It takes around 2L of 6% NaClO to make a good 30mL of Chloroform. //Taken from my last run.

Hope this helps!

Enjoy the useful solvent.

EDIT:

You can do this where ever, given that you have it properly cooled.
Outside is always the way to go if you don't have a fumehood.

Personally I'd set up indoors, but if you feel like being on the safe size, I'd be outside.

[Edited on 9-7-2012 by MrTechGuy1995]

Currently in college, studying Computer Science. Missing my home laboratory, and all the fun things I got to do. Still trying to explore the outskirts of chemistry for curiosities sake.
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-7-2012 at 20:24

use cooling. chloroform boils in the 60C range. if your solution heats up too much, the product will boil out and you can gas yourself. nasty business that CHCl3.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 07:43

You might think it is possible to use much less Bleach by creating concentrated NaOCl via a reaction between TCCA and aqueous NaOH (or NaHCO3). However, there are apparently many significant side reactions (including the disproportionation of the NaOCl to NaCl and NaClO3) that might compromise the yield along with the generation of heat that could vaporizes the volatile CHCl3.

A possible side reaction with Sodium bicarbonate, for example, and TCCA forming Sodium dichloroisocyanurate in situ:

C3N3O3Cl3 + NaHCO3 ➝ NaCl2C3N3O3 + CO2 + HOCl

or, with NaOH, remove the formation of CO2. Equation reference see: http://www.waterguardchem.com/tag/tcca/ equation (1).

However, in the presence of mild heat (70 C is sufficient) concentrated Hypochlorous acid will disproportionate:

3 HOCl --> 2 HCl + HClO3

and in the presence of NaOH, some NaCl, NaOCl and NaClO3 is expected to be formed as well.

See thread,"TCCA, Na-DCCA and cyanuric acid", link:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=5686

[Edited on 9-7-2012 by AJKOER]
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 08:08

how about using the search function that gives tons of results?

if you're lazy enough to not even bother typing 10 letters in the search field, then making the actual compound is not something advisable.

also, this is organic chemistry. there's a whole subsection of the forum dedicated to it.

[Edited on 9-7-2012 by Endimion17]

TheAMchemistry87
Harmless

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 08:21

Ill try doing this
RadioTrefoil
Harmless

Mood: Inert

[*] posted on 18-7-2012 at 03:19

There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing synthesis of chloroform from the hypochlorite/acetone method. I strongly suggest seeing them if your unsure of the process. hkparker's video is the one I recommend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDsVbcUZNWU
Although he uses Calcium hypochlorite powder instead of sodium hypochlorite solution. Don't worry, it's just pool chlorine, and readily available. :D

[Edited on 18-7-2012 by RadioTrefoil]

MESITYL FREAKING OXIDE
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
18-7-2012 at 09:39

Go To Top