Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Extarction of Aluminium zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly found in deoderant
TheAMchemistry87
Harmless

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-7-2012 at 15:25
Extarction of Aluminium zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly found in deoderant

i was reading a deoderant active ingredient was Aluminium zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly and i would like to extract that for production of zirconium metal. But this also have many inactive ingredients: cyclopentassiloxane,PPG-14 butyl ether, Stearyl alcohol, hydrogenerated castor oil, PEG-8 distearate,talc,fragrance (parfum), zea mays (corn) starch, BHT. So the deoderant has many impuritires. The deoderant has only 17.80% of Aluminium zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly. So is there anyway to extract this?

thanks

-AMchemistry
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-7-2012 at 15:40

Metallic zirconium from deorant? Isn't that a bit too extreme?

To extract that Zr-Al comp. I would suggest to spray it in water, extract it with any organic solvent, discard the organic extract, and filter the remaining water to get the slightly soluble stuff. Or just:
Method A: Simply add NaOH and filter the metal hydroxides what you need.
Method B: Mineralize (burn it) and the remaining oxides could be separated.
Method C: Give up before you waste too much time for this.
Method D: Get some metallic Zr from ebay.

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 04:50

Quote: Originally posted by TheAMchemistry87  
i was reading a deoderant active ingredient was Aluminium zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly and i would like to extract that for production of zirconium metal. But this also have many inactive ingredients: cyclopentassiloxane,PPG-14 butyl ether, Stearyl alcohol, hydrogenerated castor oil, PEG-8 distearate,talc,fragrance (parfum), zea mays (corn) starch, BHT. So the deoderant has many impuritires. The deoderant has only 17.80% of Aluminium zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly. So is there anyway to extract this?

thanks

-AMchemistry

Here's my thread on it.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=13612&...

It looks harder than it is.

In short:

1. Use roll-on anti-perspirant: sprays don’t contain the complex.
2. Kill the emulsion with bleach/heat.
3. Separate off the watery phase.
4. Treat it with a large amount of strong alkali: this precipitates Zr(OH)4 and gets NaAl(OH)4 in solution. Separate by filtering/washing.
5. Dissolve Zr(OH)4 in strong HCl as ZrOCl2.
6. Concentrate the solution by evaporation, allow to cool and add excess of 36 % HCl, this precipitates pure, white ZrOCl2.8H2O

It's probably advisable to treat the ZrOCl2 to another batch of strong alkali, to remove the last traces of Al. Then take it from point 4.

For metal production (planned but untried as yet) I suggest ZrF4 + 2 Mg === > Zr + 2 MgF2

Quote: Originally posted by kristofvagyok  

No, it's actually quite fun. ZrOCl2.8H2O is an interesting compound and zirconium an undervalued element on this forum, IMHO...

Another extraction method using Zircon, here:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=13868#...

[Edited on 9-7-2012 by blogfast25]

TheAMchemistry87
Harmless

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 08:26

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Quote: Originally posted by TheAMchemistry87  

thanks

-AMchemistry

Here's my thread on it.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=13612&...

It looks harder than it is.

In short:

1. Use roll-on anti-perspirant: sprays don’t contain the complex.
2. Kill the emulsion with bleach/heat.
3. Separate off the watery phase.
4. Treat it with a large amount of strong alkali: this precipitates Zr(OH)4 and gets NaAl(OH)4 in solution. Separate by filtering/washing.
5. Dissolve Zr(OH)4 in strong HCl as ZrOCl2.
6. Concentrate the solution by evaporation, allow to cool and add excess of 36 % HCl, this precipitates pure, white ZrOCl2.8H2O

It's probably advisable to treat the ZrOCl2 to another batch of strong alkali, to remove the last traces of Al. Then take it from point 4.

For metal production (planned but untried as yet) I suggest ZrF4 + 2 Mg === > Zr + 2 MgF2

Ill probaly give this a try this sounds very reasonable

Quote: Originally posted by kristofvagyok  

No, it's actually quite fun. ZrOCl2.8H2O is an interesting compound and zirconium an undervalued element on this forum, IMHO...

Another extraction method using Zircon, here:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=13868#...

[Edited on 9-7-2012 by blogfast25]

Go To Top