Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Tragic Glassware
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 9-10-2004 at 06:26

I pay more than twice the price for DURAN than I pay for SIMAX whats already high-quality glassware. I talk here first.choice quality and not from EBAY of course, where lots of the offered glassware is actually second choice or even worse.

So this doesnt pay out. Also I break a good deal of glass by plain stupidity (TM) and this breaking is no matter of quality.

If you have glass-shards flying around you made something wrong anyways, if one does a possibly very violent thing one should place the flask in a pot for example to prevent this. Wrapping the flask in some glassfiber or metalfabric is also suitable. Blast shields are nonsense (some exceptions exist though) as it is to prevent the shards gaining velocity and thats done directly on the surface. Look at these old CO2 powered Soda-Bottles wrapped in steelfabric to get the idea.

Irgendwas is ja immer
thalium
Hazard to Others

Mood: :D

[*] posted on 3-11-2004 at 23:28

from my glassware I broke only a petri dish, but from school I broke about 4 test tubes and two beakers (without any regret :D, except for the solutions that were in them:()

I don\'t believe in ghosts but they believe in me

Hell was full so I came back..
UhhKaipShaltaBlet
Harmless

Mood: Shalta Blet ...

biggrin.gif posted on 3-2-2005 at 12:15

Hmm, About 10months ago. I have made Hydrogen generator. It was with HCl and Al foil. With Water washer to remove HCl Vapours. I added Al foil. And Poured all HCl(30%). You can guess what happend next. Tubing ID was too small , too high pressure. All HCl , Al Mix Shot in 1,5m on the ceiling(sp?), splashed in all directions including me...
I was making Cu(OH)2 with CuSO4 and NaOH. I boiled some water in big 3l jar to dissolve CuSO4 then Poured NaOH. And guess. It Cracked and All mix poured off in all directions ...
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 3-2-2005 at 14:21

Why did it crack? Did the addition cause a temperature rise big enough to crack your glass? If so, you need to get some real lab glass (no old jars, wine bottles, bomex…).
Darkfire
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wondering

[*] posted on 3-2-2005 at 15:03

This thread is wonderful. Nothing beats seeing incredibly smart people do incredibly dumb things.

Worst thing that happend to me was recrytalising a certain yellow substance. I broke rule number one on things a chemist should never do. I heated the flask of alcohol with a flame:( and wouldnt you know it, flask breaks some fairly expensive chemical is lost and my table is lit on fire. Quickly put out but needless to say that was the end of me trying to make do with what i had just to finish up something quickly.

And well the small beaker in big beaker method of distilling has been a major bitch. Ive broken 3 beakers that way. Luckily i noticed the cracks before they broke the glass and saved the distilate. The problem was that the heating coil caused a big diferance in temp of the glass. So if you use on of those wal*mart stlye hot plates make sure you use a thick bottomed frying pan or some sort of sand or oil bath. Dont be a moron liek me and put the glass on the heating element...

\"I love being alive and will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it. I will seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me.\" Duane Allman
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-2-2005 at 17:52

Hmmm, I've 'distilled' acetone out of a solution of it and acetone peroxide (150 grams) in a jam jar, with plastic lids and hoses under pressure as the receiving jar was the condenser as well, with a gas burner.

If not having a disaster doing that itsn't skill, well, :P

I should point out it kept leaking fumes, so I had to tape up the lid with duct tape, but other than that it only caught fire once and I blew it out, wiped it off, retaped and started right up again.
And because it looked so pitiful and useless, here are some pictures.
The setup.
In Operation.

Other than that, I've spilled stuff (alot), but never broken anything. Of course, chances are as soon as I get some labware, it will be dropped, shatter, etc.

Oh, thought I'd point out the acetone was boiled off until there was 400mL solution left, not to dryness. That would have broken my glassware, to say the least.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Darkfire
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wondering

[*] posted on 3-2-2005 at 18:44

Let me just say those pics are without a shawdow of a doubt the dumbest thing i have ever seen on this board. Ever...

Your first big mishap you will learn.

Never ever heat solvents with flames. A Liter of acetone in a shitty mason jar is dumb enough. Even w/o the AP. One little crack and you have a huge fuckin puddle of flames engulfing....

\"I love being alive and will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it. I will seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me.\" Duane Allman
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-2-2005 at 19:37

Sheesh, the worst that could happen is that it could explode, I'd be on fire, my lab would be on fire, my chems would be on fire, then on me, the AP would start exploding, I'd have shrapnel in my flaming skin, and I'd die a slow agonizing death before the roof collapsed onto my blackened corpse.

Oh, and the fire extinguisher would be just outside my reach during this demise, and would explode and blow my hand off before I died.

And that's why you don't do what I did there (was some time ago though, as you can see by the near lack of stains on the laboratory bench). I've since learned from doing stupid but surprisingly accident free things and now am highly unlikely to do anything extremely likely to end in pain and suffering.
That, and I won't buy Bomex! :D
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
neutrino
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2005 at 19:44

Agreed. At least he had the sense not to boil it to dryness. What I think what we have here is another future Darwin Award winner.

Chris: Not to scathe, here are the various reasons for my conclusion:
-Mayonnaise jars are soda-lime glass, which is very prone to thermal stress.
-Heating any glass directly with a torch is asking for cracking. At least Bunsen burners have fiberglass pads to disperse the heat.
-You <b>never</b> heat a flammable solvent with an open flame.
-If the glass had cracked (very likely), it would have sent a liter of boiling, burning acetone all over the place. The acetone dries up, the AP starts exploding, and you have a big problem. The burning acetone heats up the cheap can of propane -> even bigger problem. The can explodes, sending shrapnel everywhere and a huge fireball engulfs everything. The only thing that would stop you from receiving a Darwin Award in this case is the low likelihood of investigators being able to piece together exactly what happened (no pun intended).
Cyrus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-2-2005 at 22:39
And I thought I did some stupid things!

That picture is quite unsettling to say the least.

No I'm not going to lecture you, you already know what you did was stupid. (I hope) Why the name "Chris the Great!"? :o But I digress...

[Edited on 4-2-2005 by Cyrus]

guaguanco
Hazard to Others

Mood: heterocyclic

[*] posted on 4-2-2005 at 11:00

Oh...sweet...jesus.
Scariest...pictures...ever...
'Chris the Miraculously Still Alive' is more like it.

[Edited on 4-2-2005 by guaguanco]
Jome
Hazard to Others

Mood: desiccated

[*] posted on 4-2-2005 at 12:59

I managed to smash my 1l Schott-duran beaker while I was boiling down a KNO3-solution.

I was removing it from the heat when I managed to put my finger on the hot plate, which of course led to a reflex, and since my arm was on the other side of the beaker my hand smashed my beloved beaker into tiny pieces.

FUCK! I was swearing continuosly for the next 45 minutes. My dad went outside for a walk to (as he said) save his ears.....

I dont find schott-duran to be that expensive. 40skr (like 6$) for the rest in pieces 1L beaker. I have access to cheaper glass but its not that much cheaper.

neutrino
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2005 at 14:44

$6!!! That really is cheap. Even Cynmar doesn’t have anything cheaper (except for one piece of Kimax which is no doubt mislabeled and Bomex, which I don’t consider real glass). Does your source have a web site by any chance?
Jome
Hazard to Others

Mood: desiccated

cool.gif posted on 4-2-2005 at 15:12

www.hos.se, a swedish company selling the simplest types of labware.

And here is the beaker. Actually, it more like 5$
http://www.hos.se/~upload/E-Commerce/Product.asp?pid=665
Good thing I bought 2 :D

Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 03:22

"Chris the Prone to Greatly Stupid Things Without Having Accidents" probably fits best for me, but that it too long to use I think. Personally, I'm quite amazed myself that I'm still alive after all the stupid things I've done.

Fortunatly, most of that is over, and I am fairly safe in my lab nowadays.

I'm off to examine the runaway nitration of large batches of nitroglycerine, and their effects and stresses on laboratory glassware, while wearing only my underwear to protect my clothing from having acid burns in it. :D
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top