Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Radioactive Chemistry
SulfurApothecary
Harmless

Mood: For science!

[*] posted on 11-7-2012 at 19:09
Radioactive Chemistry

I was wondering if anyone have tried radioactive chemistry at home? I know that americium is in smoke detectors (alpha emitter) radium in luminous clocks (alpha emitter) thorium dioxide in lantern mantles (alpha emitter). I think it would be interesting to try to do this at home, but the dangers would be somewhat great considering inhalation hazards, and the fact that anyone who made gammer emitters it could pose a public health risk. Now I do know that you can take an alpha emitter and take aluminum and then bombard it would alpha particles, then one could produce neutrons. From this someone could take this and make more radioactive elements. Paraffin could be used to slow down neutrons as well as water. But even better than aluminum is beryllium, its just that it is harder to get. Another thing that one could get is tritium that could emit beta -.

So in conclusion it is interesting that one could actually get their hands on radioactive materials, for experimentations.

(Lithium could be used to isolate thorium from thorium dioxide).

You can't arrest me, it was for science!
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 00:51

You're talking about transmutation? If you knew anything about it, you wouldn't ask such questions. It is completely out of reach for a home chemist with even a good protective equipment.
Unless you don't care about your life, and the life of people in your vicinity.

The point is that in order to make measurable concentrations of the new stuff, you've really got to have a good source of particles.
Also, I suppose you don't have a mass spectrometer at home, therefore to detect anything with typical crude methods (even the best typical analytical ones are crude compared to mass spectroscopy), you'd have to really pile up lots of the initial stuff, and that means contamination and a waste of money. People have done it before (Hahn et al. :D) and they really messed things up.

The only radiochemistry safe enough to do is small scale analytical. For example the properties of solutions of radioactive elements, given that their radioactivity is not great. For example uranium-238 salts in small quantities won't harm you if you hold on to strict procedures because the danger is in the absorption of the atoms, not few measly rays.
However any messing with radium will fuck you up.
Therefore, analytical radiochemistry of weakly radioactive elements. But transmutation? Don't even try it. It's truly out of safe reach.

To do anything measurable, you'd have to resort to the Curie methods, with buckets and acids and all that. Just don't.

[Edited on 12-7-2012 by Endimion17]

DoctorOfPhilosophy
Hazard to Others

Mood: enthralled

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 01:47

Transmutation can be done on a DIY cyclotron. A select few people have actually taken the time to build one, so you might wanna contact them and ask to borrow :)
Yes Hahn screwed up big time. I'm assuming you don't mean to do a large scale experiment though (I hope not). Curie method is also high inadvisable (esp. strapping a gram of radium to your arm for a month)

In my humble opinion, it is unfair to make general statements about the safety of gamma radiation or radium chemistry. Yes one must be extremely careful, but any experiment can be done safely if the scale is small enough!

I have a section on my web page dedicated to chem with technetium/promethium/polonium/thorium/radium/protactinium/uranium/americium. This is the link, take a look if you're interested. The only reason I haven't done any is because I can't choose a Geiger counter. USE A GEIGER COUNTER! Not something you wanna save money on.
Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 04:02

Quote: Originally posted by DoctorOfPhilosophy  
Transmutation can be done on a DIY cyclotron. A select few people have actually taken the time to build one, so you might wanna contact them and ask to borrow :)
Yes Hahn screwed up big time. I'm assuming you don't mean to do a large scale experiment though (I hope not). Curie method is also high inadvisable (esp. strapping a gram of radium to your arm for a month)

By Curie method I meant working with large amount of materials. They've concentrated their stuff. I can hardly imagine the amount of particle flux needed to make a measurable trace of some new element. These things are done in real reactors and cyclotrons with high fluxes.

Quote:

In my humble opinion, it is unfair to make general statements about the safety of gamma radiation or radium chemistry. Yes one must be extremely careful, but any experiment can be done safely if the scale is small enough!

Radium is so intensively radioactive that any concentration of its salts large enough to be detected by any method other than a Geiger counter, would be very dangerous. Even a slightly visible precipitate of its carbonate is enough radioactive to pose a danger of acute burns through the test tube. It glows, and the air surrounding it glows, too, indicating its furious decay.

The danger of the rays exists as a lone fact if the stuff is sealed. But if you do any experiments with it, you will get yourself contaminated. It is absolutely impossible to do any experiments without getting yourself contaminated. Just think of that damn sodium that is a nuisance in spectroscopy even in minute, trace concentrations. Well while those concentrations are ok for sodium, they present an acute radiotoxic danger for radium.
Given that the amount are not macroscopic, i.e. detectable by a counter only, the only way to do it would be in a lead glovebox with disposable microscale equipment, for example plastic eppendorf tubes.

Any precipitation obviously means there's an extreme radiotoxic danger.

It is simply not something you want to do if you don't want to die too early.
Here's a video showing how things are not supposed to be done. It's actually incredible how the hell YouTube didn't remove it. Check out my comments - the guy is obviously ignorant and cocky, thinks he's smarter than everyone else.
His house is probably contaminated now. It's not radium, but yellowcake, but it's dangerous nonetheless.

blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 04:52

Any form of experimenting with radioactive materials in appreciable quantities in a home setting, w/o proper tried and tested safety features and w/o peer review is simply a recipe for slow and painful suicide/murder.

[Edited on 12-7-2012 by blogfast25]

DoctorOfPhilosophy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 04:57

Most home-built cyclotrons are about 12" - 14" in diameter (http://cyclotronconference.org/). A 37 inch cyclotron was used to prepare the first sample of Tc-99m. It's hard to say how much technetium would be produced by a 14" cyclotron, but even if it's a nanogram it can still be eluted in a chromatography column. The question is, would the Geiger counter be sensitive enough to pick up the radiation. I know DIY neutron activation is a tried and tested experiment (http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/2008/02/17/farnsworth-fusor-...), and some isotopes quickly decay to another element. That's an indirect transmutation. Of course you will not get a gram or milligram quantity, but something detectable.

I absolutely agree that large scale production is a bad idea, but let's give some numbers to the concepts instead of using weasel words.

Needless to say, if you see a radium salt precipitating from a solution, then it's a miracle your still alive. However, using your brain, a capillary tube, and a centrifugal evaporator, you should be able to safely produce no more than a microgram. Here is my logic:

Natural uranium has a specific activity of 25,280 Bq/g. Radium is 3.66x10^10 Bq/g. In Canada, the maximum amount of natural uranium an average joe can have lying around without a license is 15kg. That has the same activity as 10.36 milligrams of radium. Both are alpha emitters. Unlike radium salt though, the uranium shields itself. And it isn't water soluble. And it's VERY hard to loose. In other words, 10 mg of radium PERFECTLY SEALED would be safe in big lead block, but should the seal break, you and your town are going straight to Utah.

Consider 10ug of radium, equal to 15g of uranium. It's the smallest amount you could probably see with the naked eye. 15g or uranium wouldn't do much harm outside you, but if a water soluble salt (e.g. uranyl nitrate) got into you, its more likely than not going to kill you. Nevertheless, people like Theo Gray have about that much uranyl nitrate at home, safely. The big difference is it's a lot easier to loose a grain of salt than 15g of powder.

If you are a responsible person doing things properly and not in a Home Depot bucket, I think up to 1ug of radium (1.5g U equivalent) is reasonable. You can see the crystal under a descent microscope, and even if by some stupid freak accident you did swallow it, you will have just hurt yourself really. The worst thing would be to drop it on the floor, but you can always find it with a Geiger counter. In fact, if you check all you equipment and work area with a Geiger counter, you can find contamination before your house becomes a superfund site.

That's just my opinion though, I'm certainly not recommending anyone to try unless they personally think it's a good idea.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 05:08

Quote: Originally posted by DoctorOfPhilosophy  

That's just my opinion though, I'm certainly not recommending anyone to try unless they personally think it's a good idea.

No, and going by your site I'm not recommending you try it either. Try crawling before walking: there's plenty interesting home chemistry around before having to dream up schemes that involve highly radioactive materials and microchemistry (an art by itself).

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 05:36

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  

Here's a video showing how things are not supposed to be done. It's actually incredible how the hell YouTube didn't remove it. Check out my comments - the guy is obviously ignorant and cocky, thinks he's smarter than everyone else.
His house is probably contaminated now. It's not radium, but yellowcake, but it's dangerous nonetheless.

Not to mention his swimming pool!

Totally bonkers. On a much smaller scale, with adequate precautions, it might be able to do this safely, if you have access to low radiotoxic waste disposal services. I'm guessing he chucked most of his debris with the household waste too! D*ckhead Supremo, indeed!

Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 05:51

The only radioactive chemistry suitable for a very experienced home chemist that received his knowledge by reading proper books, and not by browsing the Web and watching YouTube, is one of depleted uranium and perhaps thorium.

Uranium-238 salts are available in small quantities as a reagent. Its radioactivity is meek and it's used in analytical chemistry without special precautions needed for handling more active stuff.
If you ensure you're wearing gloves and you're washing your glassware thoroughly, you can do fine even with larger precipitates (few grams). General caution applies like when handling mercury salts, therefore it surpasses skills of the most of forumers here.

However if you're a typical YouTube-experimenter that uses plastic cups, soda bottles, doesn't wear gloves, picks his nose, stay far away from it. I'm not pointing fingers now. I'm adressing to anyone who reads this. You will contaminate yourself with a radiotoxic heavy metal.
It's obvious home experimenters' bodies are having a larger than average intake of poisons. Keep the contamination in the reasonable range such as typical heavy metals, organic solvents, oxidizers.

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

Not to mention his swimming pool!

Totally bonkers. On a much smaller scale, with adequate precautions, it might be able to do this safely, if you have access to low radiotoxic waste disposal services. I'm guessing he chucked most of his debris with the household waste too! D*ckhead Supremo, indeed!

Well it's not the swimming pool I'm worried about. Dudes are drying the yellowcake with a fan heater. They're blowing hot air over it. :D
The stuff is apparently >40,000 CPM over a plastic bag and they're blowing into the sand and dust like particles. What a waste of protective equipment. D:

I'd mix the waste with concrete and make a block. The usual method.
If it's embedded in the concrete, you can throw it in the dumpster. Nobody would notice and nobody would suffer. It's natural uranium. This guy, on the other hand, could just throw it back to the mine from which he took the ore. He even mentions it in the comments. So that's ok. But the drying and the initial chucking of the high activity ore like it's a piece of regular rock... stupid.

[Edited on 12-7-2012 by Endimion17]

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 06:07

Where are your comments, Endimion?

Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 06:51

Check the "see all", they're quite old, almost as the video itself.

Wizzard
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 06:54

@Endimion- What's wrong with picking one's nose??

And that video about the Uranium on Youtube- That's some scary bad DIY chemistry- I'd hate to see what his did with all that radioactive contaminate.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 07:31

Love his straw man counter-comment:

"Contrary to what you might think, the United States has established acceptable exposure limits for insoluble uranium compounds, none of which could be expected to be met considering the quantity of the sample prepared, physics properties of the sample, time spent handling the sample, and radiation detected around the lab with a very sensitive meter (not significant over background). There was absolutely no reason to believe that any industrial safety standards were violated."

Except he hasn't measured anything. At least not properly...

vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 08:20

Quote: Originally posted by SulfurApothecary  
I was wondering if anyone have tried radioactive chemistry at home? I know that americium is in smoke detectors (alpha emitter) radium in luminous clocks (alpha emitter) thorium dioxide in lantern mantles (alpha emitter). I think it would be interesting to try to do this at home, but the dangers would be somewhat great considering inhalation hazards, and the fact that anyone who made gammer emitters it could pose a public health risk. Now I do know that you can take an alpha emitter and take aluminum and then bombard it would alpha particles, then one could produce neutrons. ...

Here's my experiment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Huzb0hs4Bcc
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 09:01

So, assuming that the difference in the counts is actually statistically significant (it's hardly a rigorously controlled experiment...) you may have transmutated a few atoms of Al...

Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 09:08

Quote: Originally posted by Wizzard  
@Endimion- What's wrong with picking one's nose??

Nothing at all. I do it all the time, but not while I'm in the lab... and not while anyone can see me. :D

Love his straw man counter-comment:

"Contrary to what you might think, the United States has established acceptable exposure limits for insoluble uranium compounds, none of which could be expected to be met considering the quantity of the sample prepared, physics properties of the sample, time spent handling the sample, and radiation detected around the lab with a very sensitive meter (not significant over background). There was absolutely no reason to believe that any industrial safety standards were violated."

Except he hasn't measured anything. At least not properly...

Technobabble with a style that reminds me of politicians. ;)

I'd buy him a cat. It would walk around the contaminated floor, licking its paws occasionally, like cats do.
He could measure the activity of its dried urine each week. That would be a fun thing to do. :D

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 12:46

Technobabble with a style that reminds me of politicians. ;)

Or 'salesmen' of 'HHO' jam jars...

It shows that getting lots of UToob hits isn't that difficult: do something daring badly (his yellowcake looks decidedly dodgy) and presto... the dumb faithful adore you!

[Edited on 12-7-2012 by blogfast25]

DoctorOfPhilosophy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 18:29

First off, I absolutely and vehemently disagree with everything done in the (first) video, and the quote does sound like quackery. Having said that, I have to play the devil's advocate here.

A lot of people look the same way onto amateur chemistry. I can totally imagine some concerned parents on the news saying that they were "shocked" and "horrified" when they police discovered a sulfuric acid electrolysis cell in their neighbors basement. Many people have many opinions on what's safe and what isn't.

Not to be overly rash, but I'd say if you don't want to sound like the typical anti-chemistry propagandists, look for some numbers or figures that actually support your assertions. Just saying " that's dangerous but this isn't " is politics, not science.

[Edited on 13-7-2012 by DoctorOfPhilosophy]

[Edited on 13-7-2012 by DoctorOfPhilosophy]
Boron Trioxide
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 21:15

Just my contribution:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bionerd23
Someone's youtube channel mostly about radioactivity.

http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath...
Everyone should know about united nuclear and what they sell.

If you already knew about these things then I am sorry for wasting your time.
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 13-7-2012 at 08:28

Quote: Originally posted by Boron Trioxide  
Everyone should know about united nuclear and what they sell.

united nuclear is a nice site, but they are US based. I asked them if they had ever shipped their mineral samples to Canada, and they said every single one of them has been confiscated.

I had also contacted Canada Post. A lady called and left a message saying that Canada Post doesn't want anything to do it and to use another shipping company.

So, I wonder how come their are able to ship within the USA.
DoctorOfPhilosophy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-7-2012 at 13:05

If it's radioactive, they'll detect it in no time. You could use that to your advantage though, there are lots of radioactive rocks in Canada so it shouldn't be too hard to find a bit of uranium :)

I've ordered beryllium from United Nuclear (they had the best price) and it got here alright
rannyfash
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-7-2012 at 18:41

I wanted to accelerate alpha particles from americium with an electrostatic field in a vacuum to a thin film of aluminium and with lead shielding focus the neutrons into a beam and irradiate a small piece of lithium coated with a thick clear expandable phosphorescent polymer.

neutrons would be captured by the small percentage of natural Li 6 and would fissure releasing an alpha particle and tritium the radioactivity of the tritium would then cause the phosphor to glow.
although keep in mind that this is a half baked idea and i have not fully looked at the practical implications as i ruled it out as a safe feasible reaction as many of you should also come to terms with the brutal fact that you would be risking your life experimenting with a non-visible force albeit i think it could be done at home but only with an almost none existent margin of error, i have no practical experience on this subject.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-7-2012 at 03:50

Quote: Originally posted by rannyfash  
i have no practical experience on this subject.

Then stay clear or very SERIOUSLY read up and TOOL up. On second thought, just stay clear. :cool:

Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-7-2012 at 04:23

i have no practical experience on this subject.

Then stay clear or very SERIOUSLY read up and TOOL up. On second thought, just stay clear. :cool:

I don't think anything can happen to him. The flux is ridiculously low. That's physics what he's trying to to.

DoctorOfPhilosophy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-7-2012 at 05:54

I wanted to accelerate alpha particles from americium with an electrostatic field in a vacuum to a thin film of aluminium and with lead shielding focus the neutrons into a beam and irradiate a small piece of lithium coated with a thick clear expandable phosphorescent polymer.

See on the physics forums if someone built a Farnsworth Fusor anywhere near your area. Maybe you can use that to do your experiment. Hopefully the same person would know enough about physics to stop any dangerous ideas.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top