Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Moving of chemicals
Alchemist
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 15:17
Moving of chemicals

Hello all,
I am moving out of state (Ca), but have not decided where. Just out of California! California has just gotten to expensive to live here. My question is has anyone here moved there CHEMICALS across states? If so how did you do it? I am talking about acids, alkalines, oxidizers, poisons, heavy metals (Hg, Lb, Cd, etc.), and so on and so on. Amounts range from 1 pound to 5 pound bottles. I have invested many hundreds of dollars on these chemicals and just do not want to discard them (also that would be another problem). Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks, the Alchemist.....
P.S., I am not too worried about my glass ware as it is not a real problem.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 13-7-2012 at 07:49

Legally speaking chemicals would have to be segregated by type, i.e., flammables packed together (class 3), corrosives packed together (class 8), poisons... etc., per the DOT shipping regs 49CFR 172. This could be done in consolidated units as I said above by hazard class. These consolidated units would have to packaged in an appropriate container. In my experience a fiber drum is usually sufficient except for things like bromine, and other Poison Inhalation Hazards Zone A. Everything in the drum is placed in one item at a time then buried in vermiculite then another row placed on top and again buried in vermiculite. The individual drums would have to be stickered with proper hazard class stickers.

Now that things are packaged you could carry them in your vehicle. You would not legally need to put placards on your vehicle to show off what was inside unless you have lots of materials, usually >1000 lbs although there are some exceptions. This is a decent PDF I found quickly. I DO NOT know if you would legally need a hazmat license to transport a quantity of material that does not need placarding on your vehicle. In my own experience when I had my learners permit for Class B truck and did not have my hazmat my company allowed me to drive for training whenever there was not placards on the truck even if I was hauling hazardous waste. I do think you would need a bill of lading however even if you are just bringing it to yourself. You cannot draw parallels between other hazardous materials that people tote around like propane cylinders because those types of things are classified as materials of commerce and fall outside standard hazardous shipping regs for the most part.

Once everything is segregated, packed up and labeled with your bill of lading I think you would be meeting the minimum DOT shipping requirements.

I didn't go over everything in detail but feel free to search out the key words I used and the links provided for more detail. I used to do this for a living (transporting hazardous waste sometimes across state lines) and there isn't as much to it as some people would think.

Still, as much as I hate to say it, this will only help you if you get pulled over, and simultaneously this will hurt you if you get pulled over. 30-Gallon open top drums with hazard stickers on them would spark most officer's attention I would think. So it's kind of like shooting yourself in the foot but making sure you have some gauze ready before you fire the bullet.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-7-2012 at 08:48

whatever you do, do not let a moving company within a mile of your lab commodities. if they don't break it, they aren't doing their job.

like bromic said, damned if you do, damned if you don't. of course you have to follow dot regs but advertising is asking for trouble. perhaps the best avoidance of trouble would be to package everything according to law and just freight it to your destination. insure everything and get the hot potato out of your hands.
Alchemist
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-7-2012 at 15:18
Thanks

Thanks Guys!
BromicAcid, thanks for the pdf.
I am thinking maybe several trips if I can afford it.
Acids one trip, oxidizers the next and etc.. Also nothing over a quart or a pound.

Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-7-2012 at 18:59

however you go about it, best of luck to you. one knows that chemistry is an expensive hobby and a loss represents quite a bit of recovery time. hope everything gets there undisturbed.

Go To Top