Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Fume Hood Design
Un-Sub
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 05:08

What type of mist are we talking about here?
are we talking fine mist or a conical of high pressure water?

I have another problem here, I don't have a gas treatment plant at my disposal, so I can't drain my water, it will have to be recycled into the box.

I see what your getting at though, what would withstand the chemicals better: Stainless Steel, Steel or brass? ( for the water jet)

I am going to revamp my schematics, I will post what I come up with.

I have come up with a couple ideas for the wet scrubber, but I have to recycle my water. Would a sand and carbon fiber bed work to filter the water, if it is elevated so the water can strain through? Then be pumped back up to the water jet.

[Edited on 1-11-2011 by Un-Sub]

[Edited on 1-11-2011 by Un-Sub]
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 07:49

Quote: Originally posted by Un-Sub  
I am not sure what it will be used for, I am new to chemistry and can't say what exact experiments will be done in it. Since I know jack about chemistry I will be starting on Youtube replicating some of NurdRage's experiments. [...]
I am trying to figure out what will work w/o spending a fortune. Like...a couple hundred bucks! [...]
I live in an apartment complex.
I don't mean to discourage you, but I have a different suggestion. If you're this new to doing chemistry, wait on getting a fume hood and, in the interim, do experiments that don't require one. There's lots of chemistry to be learned with reactions that don't do anything particularly noxious. Our member woelen here has a web site plenty of such. http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/index.html

The envelope of your understanding, location, and resources seems to me like trying to more than one impossible thing before breakfast. Of old, the original chemists had reputations for living in marginal areas and making horrible smells. There's a lot of truth to that combination. There's a minimum combination of remoteness and equipment that's needed to deal with smells. If you're not remote, like an apartment complex, then you need more budget to acquire the gear needed to deal with in. And since you don't have a lot of space, that gear needs to be compact, which makes it more expensive, whether you build or buy it.

You're in a position here that many new members are, full of enthusiasm to learn, but without a lot of knowledge or budget. The issue is that without knowing either exactly what you're after or how to accomplish it, you're not likely to come up with something that's satisfactory. One idea that's more likely to get you good results in this initial period is to get the equivalent of an old steamer trunk and make a portable lab kit for the experiments you want to do. Then travel to a remote location for chemistry. Many experiments that require a fume hood can be done outdoors instead. This is a way of buying remoteness. If you do this for a while, you'll get a better idea of what you want.

Therefore, I'd like to ask you some questions that will help you learn more about what you want to do and how to deal with the consequences. List five experiments you want to do that you think require a fume hood. With each, tell us what you want to learn from it and why you think you need a fume hood for it. You're sure to get good advice here if you say what you ultimately want.

One last observation. If you're in an apartment, I'd be concerned first with making sure you've got a good way of dealing with drainage and spills. That may be more limiting to you than not having a fume hood.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 11:49

I have taken two full years of university level organic chemistry. The first year was in the 60's for my BS degree in chemical engineering; the 2nd was as a refresher course after my retirement in 2003. In neither course did I have a fume hood. As watson says there is a lot of good chemistry that can be done without one.

Do the experiments on a small scale - a few grams at most.

Many noxious and stinky gases can be absorbed with a small bubbler and the appropriate absorbent solution, right after the point of generation. For example, H2S can be absorbed in an aqueous solution of NaOH. HCl can be absorbed in water using an inverted funnel placed very near the water surface in a beaker. If peach was commenting here he could give you more examples as he is a big advocate of such methods.

Use the wind to your advantage. As evil lurker once said, when the wind direction and speed are appropriate, he is "good to go."

Get a year or two of experience under your belt then re-evaluate your need for a fume scrubber and carbon absorber.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Roachburn
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-11-2011 at 04:47

I saw a video on synthesizing nitric acid and the guy sends the excess gas into a solution of sodium carbonate and water neutralizing the NO2. would this work with other gasses? what about NaOH? Doesn't that absorb gases?
Un-Sub
Harmless

sad.gif posted on 2-11-2011 at 06:57

Well, you guys have convinced me. I don't know anything about chemistry and I obviously can't afford it, so I'm gonna find something else to do as a weekend hobby!

Thanks for the feed back from all you guys. Have fun with your experiments!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top