Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Erlenmeyer's shop?
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 14:20
Erlenmeyer's shop?

http://www.erlenmeyers.com/

Found these guys earlier and I wanted to see if anybody here has ever done business with this company. a touch pricey but I figure it may be worth mentioning as they stock some of the harder to find adapters & parts.
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 14:49

A TOUCH PRICEY???
they cost a fortune!
from Labstuff.nl I can buy a 100ml DURAN flask with ground joints for 8.50 EUR for comparison.
it seems to me that glassware from chemglass, and many suppliers in the US are ridiculously expensive.
can anybody explain this?

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 05:57

Those are some high prices for sure. ChemGlass and most other lab suppliers put out very high suggested retail prices, since they give "large" discounts to many universities and larger businesses. Much like stores mark a shirt $50 then immediately put it on 1/2 price sale.

But it is very difficult for most individuals to get discounts, which is why prices on Ebay and other sources tend to be high except for companies that import cheaper stuff.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 15:28

Given the background of Chemglass vs ebay these guys are a lot higher than Chemglass or Ace and way way higher than Laboy.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 7-8-2012 at 04:10

I dont know, but $11.10 for a 1000 ml erlenmeyer, and $10.05 for a 600ml berzelius beaker isn't that bad... That http://www.erlenmeyers.com/ site has relatively good prices. I pay easily 10% to 15% more at my local chemistry supply place.

Robert

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---
zoombafu
Hazard to Others

Mood: sciencey

[*] posted on 7-8-2012 at 20:31

Its got high prices on most stuff, but there are some deals in there.

Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 07:21

10.05$ for a 600ml berzelius? that's still a lot, i buy the more expensive (over here more expensive at least) griffin beakers for these prices:50ml-2,59; 150ml-2,64; 250ml-2,71; 400ml-3,19; 600-3,83. and a 2l for about 6 EUR
but they have one or two well priced things, and the huge buchner funnels! amazing

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 11:48

I have some used Buchner funnels that big as well as glass frit funnels almost that large, for a whole lot less. While there prices for Buchners are not terrible and appear to be based on Chemglass' prices, they are about 10 times what I have been asking, and I routinely see them new for less than half of their price. But their prices on Quarpak glass bottles are reasonable, even the ones with Teflon faceds tops.

They appear to have just copied the catalogs of several companies, and likely just order whatever people buy and then reship it. That is how most smaller places like that work. There is little likelihood that they could keep all of that in stock without going bankrupt. But that is a reasonable business model for a small company. Maybe I should try it one day. The business appears to be in El Dorado Hills, CA, so that might be great for people near Sacraemento.

[Edited on 8-8-2012 by Dr.Bob]
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-8-2012 at 21:47

I put the link up mostly to see if they where legit or if someone has used them before.. ordinarily I wouldn't worry about them as Dr.Bob sells top shelf glass and there are many online sellers should he not have the flask or funnel needed. But for things like an inlet adapter( with viton o ring) for a 17mm tube; general labshops just don't cut it. For very specific or hard to get glass I thought these guys would be handy. and Laboy maybe be a great glass seller on somethings but they fail short on some critical things.; the adapters the sell are too small for some of their own parts. IE their gas dispersion tubes have an 8mm diameter tube. Their Sep funnels have a 10mm diameter tube, But their inlet adapters only work to 7.5 mm. :mad:
on a side note : HOLY ****!! $752 Dollars for a 1 liter jacketed 3 neck RBF?!?! :mad::mad::mad:
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-8-2012 at 06:26

I think it is very helpful to post info for good companies, they all need some word of mouth business to survive. And I will (eventually) run out of used stuff, so there needs to be somewhere to buy items in small orders and for small companies and individuals. They look legit, as best as I can tell, but new, started in May of 2012 or so.

Go To Top