Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Homemade MgCl2 Does Not Melt
hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2004 at 12:36
Homemade MgCl2 Does Not Melt

I tried making some MgCl2 by reacting solutions of MgSO4 and CaCl2. Upon decanting and evaporating the liquid at just above the boiling point, I tried to melt some with a torch. It did not melt, but instead appeared to turn to MgO. I assumed that there was probably still quite a bit of MgSO4 present, since I didn't know the exact purity and composition (hydration) of the CaCl2. That would explain why the decomposition to the oxide vs. melting.

So I tried again. I added excess NaOH to a MgSO4 solution. I let the Mg(OH)2 settle, and dumped off the top part of the liquid. I then added more water, shook it up, and allowed it to settle again. I repeated the washing 8 times over a period of about 24 hours. I then slowly added HCl until the precipitate just disappeared. I checked the pH with a pH meter and it was around 6. The amount of HCl I needed agreed very closely with my calculations based on the original amount of MgSO4. So this time I was sure I had MgCl2 of reasonable purity. I evaporated the water as before, and tried heating it with a torch. Still it would not melt. Instead it gave off a strong odor of chlorine, and again changed to MgO. I could tell this because while the original substance dissolves easily in water, the heated residue is insoluable. I tried leaving some of the MgCl2 out in the air and sure enough it does become wet. So I know I have MgCl2, not MgSO4. So why won't it melt? CRC lists melting point around 700C and there is no mention of decomposition even up to its boiling point of 1400C.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-6-2004 at 12:51

Hydrated MgCl2 decomposes to magnesiumoxychloride and HCl upon heating:

2MgCl2 + H2O ---> 2HCl + Mg2OCl2

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
fritz
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-6-2004 at 13:16

If you try to make pure Mg via electrolysis you should add some NH4Cl to prevent the mentioned hydrolysis.
Also I guess some KCl is used that you have a mixture of salts which has a lower melting point than the pure MgCl2
Mr. Wizard
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2004 at 13:40
magnesia cements

MgO and MgCl2 combine to make a great cement, stronger than regular cement. There are quite a few variations on it. Check this link.
http://www.premierchemicals.com/corner/articles/cements.htm
It looks like the sulfate forms an analogous cement, which I'm going to read up on.
Theoretic
National Hazard

Mood: eating the souls of dust mites

[*] posted on 7-6-2004 at 07:22

"Hydrated MgCl2 decomposes to magnesiumoxychloride and HCl upon heating:

2MgCl2 + H2O ---> 2HCl + Mg2OCl2"
Also, magnesium chloride is oxidized by oxygen on heating to magnesium oxychloride and chlorine...
hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-6-2004 at 14:03

Quote:
Originally posted by Theoretic
"Hydrated MgCl2 decomposes to magnesiumoxychloride and HCl upon heating:

2MgCl2 + H2O ---> 2HCl + Mg2OCl2"
Also, magnesium chloride is oxidized by oxygen on heating to magnesium oxychloride and chlorine...

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I tried re-crystalizing with addition of excess NH4Cl and I got the same result (i.e. no melting, and conversion to an insoluable powder after driving off the NH4Cl). I have seen that the heat of formation of MgO is less than MgCl2 so I didn't expect oxidation to occur - but apparently the oxychloride (which I don't have a HF value for) is higher still, at least at elevated temperatures.

Go To Top