Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Selling My Lab in Preparation for Move
melvinthedestroyer
Harmless

Mood: 293.15K, 101.325kPa

[*] posted on 11-8-2012 at 11:46
Selling My Lab in Preparation for Move

Sorry start a new thread for this. The original thread I started with the details of why I'm selling my things, as well as answers to some inquiries can be found here.
I wanted to have the list of things for sale at the top, but it appears that the edit function has been disabled for my first post. If this is against the rules, please let me know and I would be happy to adjust. I didn't notice anything against it in the guidelines.

Anyway, here is the list. As I stated before, basically everything I have for sale is either brand new or barely used. I will define such condition terms at the bottom of this post.

Assume 24/40 unless otherwise specified. Prices do not include shipping. Just about everything is Pyrex and made in the USA, many are from United Glass Technologies.

THE LIST:

Distillation Kit

Details:

• A Complete Distillation Kit which includes everything in this list (Gently Used, $175)
  • 2000mL & 1000mL RBFs (That's TOTAL volume of each flask)
  • 300mm Jacket Liebig Condenser (Brand New!)
  • 105 deg Take-off / Vacuum Adapter
  • 3-way Distillation Adapter
  • Thermometer Adapter with PTFE Screw Cap
  • 400 GPH Filtered Pump
  • 2 5' Lengths of latex tubing (a little stained)
  • 5 Keck Clamps
  • 2 Heavy Duty Stands with 3 (Three) 20" Rods & Hardware
  • 2 Heavy Duty Clamps (One with coated jaw, one without for high temps)
  • Full Length 150 C Hg Thermometer (NOTE: I noticed that it was a few degrees off when I performed a boiling water test, so it's really just here to complete the kit!)

Hot Plate / Stirrer

Details:

• This is a VWR 7"x7" Advanced Hot Plate / Stirrer that has barely been used, in spite of its appearance (Used, $240)
  • The stains are a result of a clumsy chemist spilling a sodium hydroxide solution on the unit. It has retained all of its functionality and the spill resulted in purely aesthetic damage.
  • This unit has seen <50 hours of use!
  • 500 C Max Temp, 1600 RPM Max Stirrer Angular Velocity
  • LCD Readout, Last Temperature Memory Function
  • Comes with a 12" Stainless Steel Stand (Attaches to the back of the unit) and Power Cable

Adapters & Such (All Brand New!)

Details:

• 5 Glass Stoppers (New, $18)
  • 105 Deg Vacuum Take-Off Adapter (New, $16)
  • Straight Vacuum Adapter with PTFE Stopcock (New, $20)
  • 3-Way Distillation Adapter (New, $20)
  • Modified 3 Head Claisen Adapter (New, $25)

Class A Volumetric Pipettes

Details:

• Two 50mL Class A Volumetric Pipettes by Kimble with Certificates of Graduation Accuracy (1 New & 1 Gently Used, $18 for both)
  • Comes with Rubber Safety Filler!

Brushes, Tygon & Stirrer

Details:

• Brush Set - Burette / Test Tube (New), Beaker (Gently Used) and Flask (Used) ($8 for all of them)
  • 4 lengths of Tygon (R-3603) Tubing (2x74cm, 2x44cm, ~10mm ID, ~13mm OD) (Used, $10 for all of them)
  • 2" Magnetic Egg Shaped Stir Bar (Fits 24/40) and 12" Stir Bar Retriever (Gently Used, $18)

Fume Hood Kit

Details:

• Two essential items I used to make a great medium - large size fume hood. Comes with everything in this list (Gently used, $55)
  • 240 CFM 4" In-Line Blower with Sealed Motor and Corrosion Resistant Housing
  • Blower Meets ABYC - H2 (Ventilation of Boats Using Gasoline) so it can be used to vent flammable gasses
  • Blower also comes with an extra long power cable with in-line fuse housing and power supply terminal rings!
  • Tripp Lite (nice brand) 7 Amp 13.8 Volt Regulated AC to DC Power Supply (This thing cost me $70 alone)
  • Entire system was used for ~30 hours total before I dismantled my hood. My loss is your gain!

FBF & Erlenmeyer

Details:

• 2000mL 3-Neck FBF (Used, $50)
  • 500mL Graduated Erlenmeyer Flask (Used, $6)

Safety Kit (?)

Details:

• Some Lab Essentials on the Cheap! (New / Gently Used, $5 for everything)
  • Pair of Heavy Neoprene Gloves (Small chunk missing at the cuff, doesn't affect performance)
  • Box of Nitrile Gloves (~34 left)
  • Bag of Vinyl Gloves (~8 left)
  • Vented Goggles
  • Does anyone want this? If this doesn't sell, I will probably throw it in free for anyone that buys a substantial amount of stuff. NOTE: I didn't count the gloves individually, so my numbers are just estimates!

6L Flasks (Brand New!)

Details:

• 6000mL Graduated Erlenmeyer Flask (New, $50)
  • 6000mL FBF (New, $80)

500mL PE Funnel (Brand New!)

Details:

• This is an interesting item... I bought this funnel a little while back but NEVER used it as it was shipped with a stopcock that didn't quite fit. Didn't end up buying the proper stopcock, but see other details below... (New, $75)
  • ...so I will ship this with the PTFE stopcock they gave me, as well as some PTFE thread tape. I wrapped the stopcock in a good amount of this tape, poked a hole where the bore is and BAM! Now it holds water without dripping! So it pretty much works...
  • ...but if you're using this for anything serious, buy the proper stopcock
  • Ground top and bottom joints, 500mL Pressure Equalizing Addition Funnel, brand new glass! I used some grease at the stopcock and top joints while testing

Vacuum Filtration Kit (Brand New!)

Details:

• All Brand New! Comes with everything in this list (New, $40)
  • 1000mL Graduated Side Arm Filter Flask
  • Ceramic Buchner Funnel 9cm ID (The funnel has some scratches on the top lip, nothing to worry about)
  • 100 Pack of 102 9cm Filter Paper (I think I used a couple of these, however. So let's say 98 papers! They fit the provided funnel)
  • Rubber Stopper with 5mm Bore NOTE: The stopper fits the flask, but you'll notice that there is no way that the funnel is fitting in that small of a bore. This is an extra stopper I had lying around and instead of putting it in a drill press myself, I figured I would let the buyer do it, just in case they found the smaller bore useful. You could also increase the bore with a power drill if you're careful!

4L Sep Funnel (Brand New!)

Details:

• 4000mL Separatory Funnel (New, $160)
  • Comes with PTFE Stopcock & #38 Glass Stopper
  • I have a 4.5" ID cast iron ring stand for sale, not posted yet but you may inquire

Clamps & Grease

Details:

• Dow Corning High Vacuum Grease 150g Tube, about 80% left (Gently Used, $12)
  • Metal Keck Clamps (Gently Used, $7 Each)
  • Glassware / Burette Clamps for Stands, Coated Jaw (Gently Used, $4 Each)
  • Glassware / Burette Clamp for Stands, Coated Jaw (New, $5)
  • Glassware / Burette Clamp for Stands, Uncoated Jaw (Gently Used, $4)
  • The nicer clamps and plastic keck clamps are now part of the distillation kit. Sorry!

Stopcock & Septums (Brand New!)

Details:

• 12 Rubber Septums (New, $9 for all of them)
  • PTFE Stopcock, Plug Length x Larger Diameter x Smaller Diameter 24x14x9mm (Quickly used calipers and rounded, if these are slightly off from standard then I probably measured incorrectly) (New, $7)
  • Another PTFE Stopcock (not pictured) 28x18x13mm (New, $7)
  • Stir bar in picture is now in another list with retriever!

Coming Soon / Not Pictured

• ~100 Plastic Weight Trays (I think I used a few) (New, Make Offer)
  • Bubbler / Cold Trap ODxL 30x200mm Barely Used (Gently Used, $32)
  • Graduated Cylinder Set
  • 3000mL 3-Neck RBF
  • More Glassware and Accessories! I know I have more than is pictured here, just let me find everything (most of it is in nondescript boxes!)
  • Chemicals! I just need help in figuring out how to ship them...

DEFINITION OF TERMS:

I want everyone who orders my things to be happy. So, I want to clearly define the terms I've been using.

NEW: These items have NEVER been used in a chemistry set up. However, I did get excited when I received certain items, and may have tried them out with water or something. For example, the 4L sep funnel has some water spots on it, but have never been used for anything but initial testing with water. I would call an item like that "new." If any chemicals have been used in the glassware, or if grease has ever touched the ground joints, I would consider the item "gently used." Please keep in mind, many of these items have been in storage for a while. Although I kept most of my new glass in boxes with packing peanuts, a "new" item may have some smudges, or possibly even tiny scratches so mild that my nice DSLR camera couldn't even resolve them in a close up shot.

GENTLY USED: These items have barely been used at all. Some of my items that I put in this category have only been used once. Glass in this category might be some mild stains or clouding on glassware, or perhaps some very very light scratches on the outside. Chances are, you'll get lucky and find that these stains come off with a vigorous cleaning. I would have called this category "like new," but I felt that if there were some mild clouding or purely aesthetic scratches on items that I called "like new" some people may get upset.

USED: These items have been used several times, or exhibit some stains that are probably permanent. There could be scratches on the outside of the glassware, but nothing that would affect performance unless I state it explicitly. Glassware in this category can still hold a vacuum without breaking.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

This is all shipping from Tallahassee, FL.

If ANYONE feels cheated or upset by their order, PLEASE inform me right away. I want everyone to enjoy my equipment as much as I did; considering how little I used all of it, hopefully a lot more! Use the pictures I provided to get an idea of what you're getting before you order; what you see is what you get! If you want a higher resolution picture before you order, U2U me and I can email a picture as an attachment. General questions can be posted this thread.

I would also prefer to speak to buyers on the phone, if possible. It would make me feel a lot better about selling this stuff online. Plus, if you have any issues, you can get in contact with me right away. I'm not sure how the average forum member feels about this, but I figure that it won't be that much of a problem.

U2U me if you are interested in purchasing and we will work something out with the shipping. Have fun researching your next buy and thanks to everyone on this forum! More to come!

[Edited on 12-8-2012 by melvinthedestroyer]
melvinthedestroyer
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-8-2012 at 07:51

Bump. Anyone want this stuff? I am willing to cut a deal for anyone who wants a few things! I need this stuff gone pretty soon. Just U2U me and we'll talk about pricing, if cost is the issue. Thanks!
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 13-8-2012 at 13:57

What type of chemicals do you have :D ????

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

melvinthedestroyer
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-8-2012 at 18:15

I will have to check when I get a chance (I've been very busy with the move and work...) but I know I have DMSO, sulfuric acid, hydroquinone, sodium bromide, potassium bromide, potassium carbonate... can't think of any others at the moment but I know there's more!
ItsAChitzen
Harmless

Mood: lulz

[*] posted on 17-8-2012 at 06:05

If you have any diethyl ether, I would be interested.
melvinthedestroyer
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-8-2012 at 09:16

Nope not anymore, sorry!
Bohr-on
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-8-2012 at 12:40

Are you willing to ship to Ottawa? Id be interested in the distillation kit, hot plate, maybe the PE funnel, the tygon tubing, the clamps and the grease and maybe some of the glassware not mentioned... Also anyone know if there'd be trouble crossing the border with it?
zenosx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Awaiting Results....

[*] posted on 17-8-2012 at 14:35

Do you have a vacuum aspirator? If so i would be interested
sbbspartan
Hazard to Self

Mood: DEAD (diethyl azodicarboxylate)

[*] posted on 18-8-2012 at 06:39
Recommendation

I just bought the fume hood kit from mevinthedestroyer, along with the vacuum grease and several chemicals. The prices are excellent, and the service is outstanding. The shipping price was good and he is going to give me a tracking number as well. I will give another review once I receive my package, but so far it has been a real pleasure doing business with melvin. He has to get rid of all of this stuff fairly quickly, so everything is going for very good prices and he is willing to make deals. I would HIGHLY recommend buying from him.

Check out my new website at http://www.theamateurchemist.com and my new store at http://store.theamateurchemist.com/ .

melvinthedestroyer
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-8-2012 at 13:32

Quote: Originally posted by Bohr-on  
Are you willing to ship to Ottawa? Id be interested in the distillation kit, hot plate, maybe the PE funnel, the tygon tubing, the clamps and the grease and maybe some of the glassware not mentioned... Also anyone know if there'd be trouble crossing the border with it?

I would be willing, assuming there is no legal trouble in doing so. Not sure what the cost would be, though. I will contact your privately.

Quote: Originally posted by zenosx  
Do you have a vacuum aspirator? If so i would be interested

Sorry, just a vacuum pump, and I may have been able to sell that locally.
Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 14:37

i am interested in the Vacuum Filtration Kit. i found one online (with a hand pump) for $55 and would be willing to pay $35 for it

also you dont happen to have a soxhlet do you? :D

Sciencemadness Patches for sale! U2U me if you are interested.
http://imgur.com/a/QmpHn http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62566&...
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 14:53

considering Melvin's last activity was measured (:D) at 27-10-2012 at 07:20 PM I don't think he will be able to sell you anything.
however: http://www.laboyglassstore.simple-helix.net/
has soxhlet extractors and lots of other good fancy glass for good prices.
I bought a 500ml soxhlet and 30mm condenser to fit on top for about 70USD, also I bought a 500mm allihn condenser, 500ml and 1000ml flasks and 4 custom adapters, all for 300USD

[Edited on 3-9-2013 by Pyro]

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 15:50

How much is the shipping to Australia?
I am also interesting in the vacuum filtration stuff.

What have you sold?

[Edited on 3-9-2013 by Finnnicus]

hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2013 at 17:29

You guys need to cheek the dates on the OP.

Go To Top