Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Glassware in Australia
borrowedlawyer
Harmless

Mood: Halogenating...

[*] posted on 25-8-2012 at 21:32
Glassware in Australia

Hello,

I am trying to locate a place that will sell glassware to indviduals in Australia, I have found one place but they require me to fill out a huge end user deceleration. I was also looking at this: http://www.geckooptical.com/chemistry_set.htm?gclid=CKCA5t2t... but it looked rather expensive at $375, but I do not know how much it would cost elsewhere.
Can you please reccomend a place to purchase glassware and maybe also chemicals. Also is that set I linked a good price?

[Edited on 2-9-2012 by ScienceSquirrel]
Doc B
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-8-2012 at 01:02

It's a very steep price mate. You'd be best to stick to under B19 sizes here due to legislative restriction which could leave you vulnerable to prosecution should you be found in possesion or believed to be the owner.
Lithium
Hazard to Others

Mood: Thinking!

[*] posted on 26-8-2012 at 01:10

you should purchase glassware from here: http://www.laboyglass.com/

I have bought glassware from them and i must say it is excellent and they are cheaper than many other suppliers

Li
borrowedlawyer
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-8-2012 at 03:30
Common Chemicals

Thanks for the tips.
Also where would you get basic chemicals such as HCl, etc?
Thanks
EDIT: I am in Newcastle, NSW if that helps.

[Edited on 29-8-2012 by borrowedlawyer]
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 29-8-2012 at 04:37

Search around a little before posting - UTFSE!

There have been numerous threads on topics like this previously.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 29-8-2012 at 12:13

That is just ridiculous how much glassware gets regulated in some places.

It is just glass!!! I think it is discrimination against amateur chemistry enthusiasts, who constitute a minority in society. Too bad glassware does not have any association with women's rights or something like that.
Doc B
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2012 at 08:49

Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  
That is just ridiculous how much glassware gets regulated in some places.

It is just glass!!! I think it is discrimination against amateur chemistry enthusiasts, who constitute a minority in society. Too bad glassware does not have any association with women's rights or something like that.

Haha yeah it is. Worse still is that in some places (Australia) you don't even have to be the owner of such items muchless in possession of restricted items to be up to your eye balls in it. There is one bloke down here, a scientist who has never been in any kind of trouble previously, who is currently looking at a life time sentence because the old bill raided some place of ill repute and the crims they caught with tens of kilos of gear and glass said all the stuff was his. The cooks weren't charged but the poor old scientist is still going through the wringer.

Can you even imagin that?
borrowedlawyer
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-9-2012 at 01:56
Wiltronics

What do you think about this mob, http://www.wiltronics.com.au/?

Thank You
Doc B
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-9-2012 at 03:21

Nice prices, never tried them before though. You may note the EUD requirement with the kits thought, even the 14/23
Gearhead_Shem_Tov
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-9-2012 at 04:56

Quote: Originally posted by borrowedlawyer  
What do you think about this mob, http://www.wiltronics.com.au/?

Thank You

They have been pretty reliable for me, though I don't think much of their filtration flasks (which look too lightly built to take much vacuum).

-Bobby
james2395
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 15:19
Australian Glassware Suppliers

Hello, I am new to the forum.

I currently live in Victoria, Australia and I am interested in a distillation set up, however in my part of the country (and most aside from SA) need EUDs to buy chemistry equipment. There is problematic for me in two ways, firstly I would need to get photo ID which I do not have and secondly (and less importantly) my purchase would not be private so I may be subject to police raids if it *appeared* I was doing something illegal.

Does anyone on here know a glassware supplier within Australia willing to send without EUDs? Does this website permit private selling?
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Threads Merged
12-2-2014 at 15:29
hydride_shift
Harmless

Mood: sp3 hybridised

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 16:57

http://sciencesupply.com.au/shop/content/2-legal-notice
thats pretty comprehensive as far as EUDs
also their online store is really good

14/23 condensers and glass elbow joints do the trick which you can get anywhere no questions asked (cept bloody qld)
james2395
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 18:13

Quote: Originally posted by hydride_shift  

14/23 condensers and glass elbow joints do the trick which you can get anywhere no questions asked (cept bloody qld)

If you didn't read condensers and the most important things aren't allowed.
hydride_shift
Harmless

Mood: sp3 hybridised

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 19:42

Quote: Originally posted by james2395  

perhaps you are the one that didn't read
no EUD for a condenser below b29 (smaller than 24/29)
Mr_Magnesium
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 19:43

Do you still live with your parents? background relating to chemistry or any of the sciences especially at a tertiary level? Around the age of 18 or younger? Hell, even race plays a part.

If you do fit into those categories, there is a minuet chance that they will chase you over glassware purchases unless you order big (2L-5L> flasks) or order precursors and list 1 chemicals.

There is a document which is called "Code of Practice for Supply Diversion", google it and it will outline the chems and certain pieces of apparatus that can land you in hot water.

I can vouch for Laboy and Wiltronics.

Laboy for your flasks, condensers, adapters and various accessories (keck clips) Pretty much everything. Just a note, anything from China is highly scrutinized so expect a call from the Chemical Division in Organised Crime.

Wiltronics is good for beakers, filter papers and Hg thermometers.

Dr Bob our forum glass supplier has an excellent range at great prices. Try and see if any other members want to order internationally so that you can pool together and cut down the shipping cost.

I really really want to point out, don't buy anything in Australia relating to glassware because it is ridiculously expensive and the people are extremely rude. My local glassware supplier does not even reply to me anymore when i asked if he had any 50ml RBF's in stock (which he does). If you are worried about EUD's then order from the US.

Theres a quite a bit of info on these forums regarding Australian chemistry but its not that informative after you read it all :)

james2395
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 21:37

I have bought 2L flasks from China just before, and rang customs, they said it's all okay.

<!-- bfesser_edit_tag -->[<a href="u2u.php?action=send&username=bfesser">bfesser</a>: removed nested quote(s)]

[Edited on 13.2.14 by bfesser]
chemaddict
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-2-2014 at 03:26

just buy your glassware from south australia northern territory or tasmania there is no eud reporting in these states ,but you can't live in nsw and order from south australia an eud would still be required .
you would have to go there
Mr_Magnesium
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-2-2014 at 06:40

I have bought 2L flasks from China just before, and rang customs, they said it's all okay.

<!-- bfesser_edit_tag -->[<a href="u2u.php?action=send&username=bfesser">bfesser</a>: removed nested quote(s)]

[Edited on 13.2.14 by bfesser]

Customs will not stop it because it isn't restricted.

Also i don't think they are the people that you should be worried about if raids concern you.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-2-2014 at 11:07

I can ship to Australia, and the postage for smaller glassware is not too bad, like 14/20 distillation kits and smaller filtration flasks and funnels. Look at the list in here* for a rough idea of some things, plus the photos in the thread. I also have a couple of 14/20 distillation kits available for about $80, which would have the basic 14/20 distillation apparatus, flasks and adapters. I do also have some 24/40 distillation equipment and adapters, but am running out of larger 24/40 flasks.

* = http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=15667&...
Mesa
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-2-2014 at 11:55

If you order your gear online, you often don't need to send in photo ID(although the EUD is still required. EUD's are required by law and it seems to be rather well enforced.)

I've bought from sciencesupply.com.au and can recommend them as far as shipping times/replying to emails goes.
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-2-2014 at 12:01

As a US guy , even I am jealous of some of the stuff sciencesupply.com.au sells. Y'all have a good ally in them.

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
ZIGZIGLAR
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-2-2014 at 01:51

Matty from Science Supply is great to deal with and is definitely happy to discuss your projects and help out where he can.

I can personally attest to absolutely no problems importing glassware to Victoria, including a lot of things that would have required EUDs if purchased in Australia.

Labfriend.com.au are an e-business, so you have to anticipate 3 week lead times, but they have a lot of good stuff and accommodating staff.

Livingstone.com.au have a lot of the Simax range of glassware at good prices, but they've messed me around a lot, so I'd have to mention you might have order mistakes to deal with.

Wiltronics have a limited range, but their prices for what the do have are comparable with Chinese eBay sellers. I've got some Chinese glassware - the stuff I have is evidently not perfectly shaped or unflawed in quality, but it's thick and handles high vacuum fine.

Haven't tried any Chinese electronic lab equipment though, so can't comment.

There a few more stores to consider, but most still require EUDs. Just google a particular piece of glassware and you'll get more hits for stores.
tekkado
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-2-2014 at 18:03

If you buy overseas and it would normally need an EUD here do they contact you and then you have to get one? And with an EUD from everything I've read do you have to be from a company? Because my reasoning would be I'm a chem major looking to experiment on my own like everyone here. Is it's purpose just to identify who you are should they suspect something?
I'm in QLD too =[
james2395
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-2-2014 at 21:14

Quote: Originally posted by tekkado  
If you buy overseas and it would normally need an EUD here do they contact you and then you have to get one? And with an EUD from everything I've read do you have to be from a company? Because my reasoning would be I'm a chem major looking to experiment on my own like everyone here. Is it's purpose just to identify who you are should they suspect something?
I'm in QLD too =[

I think it's more if you get caught doing something you would get a more severe punishment for signing an agreement saying you won't do anything illegal with the equipment, I shall update this thread upon the safe arrival of my glassware.
tekkado
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-2-2014 at 23:53

oh okay ive been under the impression that you cant have any of that stuff unless you had a legitimate need for it??
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top