Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Home Made Fume Hood
cal
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-9-2012 at 04:58
Home Made Fume Hood

FUME HOOD MADE EASY

Just thought I would share an easy home made fume hood system with everyone.
Build your cabinet for your fume hood.
(1) Purchase a 4" marine 12 volt bilge blower for $25.00 (250 CFM) This fan really blows.
(2) Convert a used ATX computer power supply to provide the 12 volts DC at 25 amps (way more than the needed 3.5 amps on the fan) YouTube has video on step by step to do this.
(3) purchase 4" flex drain pipe at Home Depot for $5.90 per 8 foot x 4" This is flexible poly-plastic pipe that is perfect for chemical fumes.
(4) purchase a 9' to 4' metal reducer to go in the top of the Fume Hood Cabinet at Home Depot and a 4" exhaust flap.
(5) purchase a can of spray flex seal for $12.98 at your local Walgreen's. This is a spray on rubber coating to cover the metal 9' to 4' reducer.
(6) Cut the 9' hole in the top of your cabinet and silicone it to the wood or metal, which ever you used to make the cabinet.
(7) mount fan and power supply to your cabinet and connect the pipe to the hood,fan and 4" exhaust flap which can be mounted to a piece of plywood in a window to vent fumes outside.
My total cost was less than $200.00 to construct the cabinet and vent system as I already had the converted ATX power supply.
This system is 250 CFM at 16 foot of exhaust and it really pulls the fumes out so well.
This was a share from a member in Florida whom I do not remember his screen name, but many thanks to his ingenuity.
:D:D
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
21-9-2012 at 06:21
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 21-9-2012 at 09:38

As the Internet saying goes, "Pics or it didn't happen."
I've been thinking about building my own fume hood for some time now, but I was mainly focusing on equipping it with the standard vacuum, nitrogen and gas features.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
cal
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-9-2012 at 10:05
Fume Hood

I purchased brass fittings and drilled holes in the right side wall for these. I used the tapered hose type for sliding a hose onto for vacuum:cool:, gas, and water. I will try to get some pics up latter as I am in the process of distilling 5 gallons of ethanol right now.

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
As the Internet saying goes, "Pics or it didn't happen."
I've been thinking about building my own fume hood for some time now, but I was mainly focusing on equipping it with the standard vacuum, nitrogen and gas features.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 21-9-2012 at 10:07

Quote: Originally posted by cal  
I purchased brass fittings and drilled holes in the right side wall for these. I used the tapered hose type for sliding a hose onto for vacuum:cool:, gas, and water. I will try to get some pics up latter as I am in the process of distilling 5 gallons of ethanol right now.

Take some piccies now then...that way, we can get an idea of the operation of the hood as well as when it is empty.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Ego_and_his_own
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 27-9-2012 at 21:40

I dont see problem in building fume hood like that (structurally), what I am having difficulty to find is how to scrape(is that how its called) chemicals that go out.

Is there any info, or anyone can share advice what to use to filter wide range of chemicals.
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-9-2012 at 07:25

Quote: Originally posted by Ego_and_his_own  
I dont see problem in building fume hood like that (structurally), what I am having difficulty to find is how to scrape(is that how its called) chemicals that go out.

Is there any info, or anyone can share advice what to use to filter wide range of chemicals.
you might want to check a few incompatible chemical lists before you go too far. as I have noticed there aren't many( if any) "one size fits all" solutions here, it would be good to mind what your end products will be and what they are not compatible with. More often then not a good fume hood will have a trap of some sort but even then it isn't fool proof.

[Edited on 28-9-2012 by Funkerman23]
cal
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-9-2012 at 20:21
Vent Hood Pics

Here are the pics.

Vent Hood 1.jpg - 22kBVent Hood 2.jpg - 22kBVent Hood 3.jpg - 21kBVent Hood 4.jpg - 24kBVent Hood 5.jpg - 22kBVent Hood 6.jpg - 16kBVent Hood 7.jpg - 19kB
kavu
Hazard to Others

Mood: To understand is to synthesize

[*] posted on 29-9-2012 at 23:47

I think there's a big flaw in your design. Fume hoods should have a flow of air inside to remove vapors that hug the work surface. Adding another ventilation hole to the bottom of the back wall should help.
cal
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 04:51

Quote: Originally posted by kavu  
I think there's a big flaw in your design. Fume hoods should have a flow of air inside to remove vapors that hug the work surface. Adding another ventilation hole to the bottom of the back wall should help.

It is not complete as the doors are plexiglass with stainless steel hinges and the vent you spoke of will be in the bottom of the back when they are attached. It works quite well now though as I did the Benzaldehyde synthesis of CycloKnight using cinnamon oil and sodium carbonate last night. It really pulls the fumes out with 300 cfm from a 12 volt DC fan.:cool:
Ego_and_his_own
Harmless

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 3-10-2012 at 21:27

Quote: Originally posted by Funkerman23  
Quote: Originally posted by Ego_and_his_own  

you might want to check a few incompatible chemical lists before you go too far. as I have noticed there aren't many( if any) "one size fits all" solutions here, it would be good to mind what your end products will be and what they are not compatible with. More often then not a good fume hood will have a trap of some sort but even then it isn't fool proof.

[Edited on 28-9-2012 by Funkerman23]

I get it. Thanks for advice.

Go To Top