Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Understanding the rate of change in titration curves
gooby
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-9-2012 at 12:53
Understanding the rate of change in titration curves

I asked this over at the Chemistry StackExchange, which is usually pretty good, but no one has answered so far:

http://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/1220/understand...

Maybe it's because it's a weekend. In any case I think I should have answers to this before I try to wrap up this general chemistry text I have here:

Quote:
As I am looking at titration curves, a few things stand out. For now, I have a two part question:

• When titrating an acid with a base, for instance, the pH rises more or less abruptly around the equivalence point. Does this have to do with the logarithmic nature of pH? In other words, is this caused by the fact that the number of particles involved in the jump from e.g. a pH of 2 to one of 3 is several orders of magnitude than the number of particles involved in the jump from 6 to 7?
  • When a weak acid is titrated, the rise to the equivalence point is a lot more shallow. Does this happen because of Le Chatelier's principle? That is to say, as the base is titrating the acid, some of the acid that has not dissociated will dissociate in an attempt to restore equilibrium. This should retard the titration to some degree. Is that the case?

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-9-2012 at 12:51

Quote: Originally posted by gooby  
I asked this over at the Chemistry StackExchange, which is usually pretty good, but no one has answered so far:

Maybe it's because it's a weekend. In any case I think I should have answers to this before I try to wrap up this general chemistry text I have here:

Quote:
As I am looking at titration curves, a few things stand out. For now, I have a two part question:

• When titrating an acid with a base, for instance, the pH rises more or less abruptly around the equivalence point. Does this have to do with the logarithmic nature of pH? In other words, is this caused by the fact that the number of particles involved in the jump from e.g. a pH of 2 to one of 3 is several orders of magnitude than the number of particles involved in the jump from 6 to 7?
  • When a weak acid is titrated, the rise to the equivalence point is a lot more shallow. Does this happen because of Le Chatelier's principle? That is to say, as the base is titrating the acid, some of the acid that has not dissociated will dissociate in an attempt to restore equilibrium. This should retard the titration to some degree. Is that the case?

Point one: the shape of the curve is really due to the (simple) mathematics of the way the oxonium ions (H<sub>3</sub>O<sup>+</sup>;) are reacted away. Try and work this out, assuming the acid is strong and completely deprotonated and the shape of the S-curve will become self-evident.

Point two: you’re almost there. Weak acids dissociate only by a small fraction of the total acid present. The initial pH is also higher (for the same concentration) than for a strong acid and the jump (at equivalence point) smaller. Here the math is slightly more complicated.

There are plenty of excellent internet resources on these problems, forums usually aren’t optimal.

gooby
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-9-2012 at 19:21

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Quote: Originally posted by gooby  

Quote:

Point one: the shape of the curve is really due to the (simple) mathematics of the way the oxonium ions (H<sub>3</sub>O<sup>+</sup>;) are reacted away. Try and work this out, assuming the acid is strong and completely deprotonated and the shape of the S-curve will become self-evident.

Point two: you’re almost there. Weak acids dissociate only by a small fraction of the total acid present. The initial pH is also higher (for the same concentration) than for a strong acid and the jump (at equivalence point) smaller. Here the math is slightly more complicated.

There are plenty of excellent internet resources on these problems, forums usually aren’t optimal.

I did a lot of searching both on Google web search and Google Books for an answer to this question. None of the answers were particularly helpful until I found this:

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=6140.0

...which was incidentally a forum post.

Quote:
don't forget that the y-axis is a logarithmic scale.

So that would appear to confirm my suspicion. It's steep because pH is a logarithmic value.

That settles my question, I guess.

Mildronate
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ruido sintetico

[*] posted on 25-9-2012 at 07:15

Its beter to use titration curve derivative.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2012 at 07:20

Yes, but in most real lab situations not very practical.

Mildronate
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ruido sintetico

[*] posted on 25-9-2012 at 09:06

its easy to graph derivative with exel.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-9-2012 at 03:40

Quote: Originally posted by Mildronate  
its easy to graph derivative with exel.

Yes, but most don't draw the graph because that's time consuming. Most use indicators or look for the largest pH jump nearthe end point (using a meter). Robotitrators use the derivative, of course.

AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 17:53

To say that the relation is actually linear in the log is a most likely an approximation. It could be more complex like quadratic in the log, for example.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-10-2012 at 05:50

Quote: Originally posted by AJKOER  
To say that the relation is actually linear in the log is a most likely an approximation. It could be more complex like quadratic in the log, for example.

Where did anyone say it was linear in the log? But ‘quadratic in the log’? Not likely IMHO.

The simple case of a dilute strong acid titrated with a dilute strong alkali (we assume both are completely dissociated):

Initial amount of H<sub>3</sub>O<sup>+</sup> (mol): V x c, with V the volume of solution to be titrated and c the concentration of the acid to be titrated.

After addition of V<sub>titrant</sub> ml of base titrant solution (at concentration c<sub>titrant</sub>;) the remaining amount of H<sub>3</sub>O<sup>+</sup> (mol) is:

V x c - V<sub>titrant</sub> x c<sub>titrant</sub>, and thus:

pH ≈ - log [(V x c - V<sub>titrant</sub> x c<sub>titrant</sub>;) / (V + V<sub>titrant</sub>;)]

(End point: V x c = V<sub>titrant</sub> x c<sub>titrant</sub>;)

So the function pH = f[g(V<sub>titrant</sub>;)] is a linear function of the logarithm g(V<sub>titrant</sub>;) of but the function g(V<sub>titrant</sub>;) isn’t linear itself.

If c ≈ c<sub>titrant</sub> then the function can be re-written as:

pH ≈ - log c – log [(V - V<sub>titrant</sub>;)/ (V+ V<sub>titrant</sub>;)]

This is an approximation which doesn’t work very near the end point because there Kw kicks in.

[Edited on 10-10-2012 by blogfast25]

Edit:

By introducing a new variable, α = V<sub>titrant</sub>/V and setting c = c<sub>titrant</sub> the equation can be re-written to:

pH ≈ - log c – log [(1 – α ) / (1 + α )], a formula you find in some textbooks. α can be considered the ‘degree of completion of the titration’.

And a bit of further digging around the end-point shows that this equation is accurate up to values of α very, very close to 1, because Kw is so very small.

[Edited on 10-10-2012 by blogfast25]

Go To Top