Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Water pump for condensers. What kind of pump should I use to cycle water through my jackets?
Saganism
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 13:45
Water pump for condensers. What kind of pump should I use to cycle water through my jackets?

If anybody could send me a link to a website where I could purchase a good water cycling pump for my condensers, it'd be much appreciated. I simply cannot even find any info on it. Slightly irritating

Just trying to figure some stuff out you know?
Aren't we all?
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 13:49

A submersible aquarium or fountain pump should be adequate; google it. It shouldn't be a problem to find it locally.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
zenosx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Awaiting Results....

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 14:10
Pump

I use a standard fountain pump from Lowe's submerged in a 1.5Gal container and use those reusable ice packs for coolers (3) and get very near 0C coolant water. I don't remember my pump size but I know it's not the smallest and has ~1/4 outlet size.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 15:11

Any small water pump is fine, they sell many that would work for $20-50. Try a hardware store, fish supply store, or walmart. As stated above, a 1/4" outlet is ideal, and a 5 gal or smaller bucket is fine. I like the reusable ice pack idea, that is even better than ice. Almost any pump will do.
99chemicals
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 15:51

I have a 65gph fountian pump. Anything 40-80 gph should be good.

Do you have mole problems? If so, call Avogadro at 602-1023

My Youtube Channel
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 16:39

I use a fountain pump I bought at Home Depot for 20$... The nozzle is easy to slip latex tubing over to connect to your condenser or whatever. The reuseable cold packs are especially nice, I have 6 and I use two in the reservoir at a time so that if I run a long experiment I can simply swap them with fresh ones from the freezer!

Just look in the garden section of Home Depot or any other home improvement store.

[Edited on 1-10-2012 by Mailinmypocket]
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 19:16

I connected a hose to mine! (before the top broke, that is).

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
Nitrator
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 20:05

If you look around long enough, you can find one for 14 bucks online. This includes shipping! I personally wouldn't spend more than a total of 20 bucks. There's quite a few you can find under that price.
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 20:10

While the idea of using a cold pack sounds great, it's can't compete with just using ice. I find that it doesn't get cold enough... In combination with ice, cold packs works great but alone I wouldn't use it unless I had no other choice.
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 20:16

Quote: Originally posted by jamit  
While the idea of using a cold pack sounds great, it's can't compete with just using ice. I find that it doesn't get cold enough... In combination with ice, cold packs works great but alone I wouldn't use it unless I had no other choice.

Depends on what you're distilling, how much of it, and how long you're doing it. I exclusively use tap water (I don't "recycle" it) which is just fine for most of my applications.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Saganism
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 21:43

Could I get the tubing in the same place as the pump do you think? I appreciate the quick replies.

Aren't we all?
zenosx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Awaiting Results....

[*] posted on 30-9-2012 at 22:10

I use 1/4 ID tubing from the local hardware store for most of my lab chores. Cl2,HCl and other gasses will make rather short work of it but I have had no issues using it for condenser work. Usually ~ .11c a foot avg in my area.

As a side note, the harder plastic tubing, like for fridge I've makers makes a great vacuum line if your aspirator is far from the bench. Not sure but think it is 5/16 I.D.'aa anxjnnnnn
While you are there if at an ace hardware pick up the Rooto sulfuric acid as my other local hardware store abruptly stopped selling 'liquid fire' for what I was told were 'local political reasons' e.g. meth. I am picking up two gal on tues before its an online Only item, and the Rooto doesn't have the red dye to deal with.
Saganism
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-10-2012 at 09:00

Thanks for the help
:D

[Edited on 5-10-2012 by Saganism]

Aren't we all?
beastmaster
Harmless

Mood: hyper

[*] posted on 14-10-2012 at 19:34

If you have harbor freight stores out where you live they have a small fountain pump on sale for 6 dollars. Works great. You can also check them out online.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 14-10-2012 at 22:31

ya I have that same harbor freight one, on sale for like 9$. cant beat the price n it's tough. but I prefer the straight from the sink adapter (for washing dishes or something) I just slide a hose clamp over it and keep a 10' leash. beats having to hunt down a socked every time you need one. then a return to the sink for waste. win win.

works great with the condenser I made for acetone a while back. ~1hr to make and dirt cheap from ace parts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPdcWWZ4Piw&feature=plcp

though I have been curious what I would need to use for cycling a fluid other than water. caustic or super cool. most of the pumps I have seen say to keep above a certain temp and no caustic sol's. wanted to set up some cryohol (denatured alcohol n dry ice) but with the little effort I put in didn't see anything that would work. if any one has a quick answer for that I would be appreciative. if not I can get off my ass and search. just not THAT important to me. but I have been doing a fair amount of electro chem n electric solution transfer would be sweet.

hope any of that helps, though everyone else pretty much answered your questions. good luck

[Edited on 15-10-2012 by violet sin]

Go To Top