Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Muscimol Solubility / Isolation.
CrEaTiVePyroScience
Hazard to Self

Mood: Explosive

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 09:06
Muscimol Solubility / Isolation.

Hi,

Muscimol is the active ingredient from the Amanita Muscaria (Fly Agararic mushrooms, the red one with white spots).
I've collected 40 of these mushrooms and dried them. Now I want to isolate muscimol fairly pure. So I am looking for solvents and non solvents. Since google is only giving me the solubility of muscimol in ethanol, methanol and water I can't go far, since alot of other components of the mushroom are also soluble in those solvents it forms a syrupkind resin which doesn't seem that pure.

My question: Is there anyone that has any idea of a (non)-solvent for muscimol? Don't bother googling since that won't help you. Maybe someone has a patent/old book about it or knows it?

Thank you, I will post the result in this forum.
P.S: I can get almost any "common" solvents (chloroform, alot of alcohols, ...)

Kind Regards,
CPS

[Edited on 9-10-2012 by CrEaTiVePyroScience]
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
10-10-2012 at 10:40
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-10-2012 at 10:49

Quote: Originally posted by CrEaTiVePyroScience  
Now I want to isolate muscimol fairly pure. So I am looking for solvents and non solvents.

What good would solubility data be to you? What you look for is the isolation procedure.
Quote:
Don't bother googling since that won't help you. Maybe someone has a patent/old book about it or knows it?

Googling is not going to help anybody on such an issue. You need to search the literature. That's the most obvious step. I doubt anybody is going to do this work for you until you first show you did some work yourself. Once you will make a worthy literature review, others will complete it and give you suggestions.

PS: Please open threads without references only in the Beginnings section.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
CrEaTiVePyroScience
Hazard to Self

Mood: Explosive

[*] posted on 10-10-2012 at 11:54
Isolating Muscimol from Amanita Muscaria

The solubility of Muscimol in different solvents seems pretty unknow. I am trying to isolate Muscimol from the mushroom but this isn't that easy.
I first dissolved the mushroom in hot water, filtered , evaporated and then dissolved in methanol and evaporated again. Now im left with some kind of resin. But I am looking for the pure crystalline Muscimol powder or, atleast something more pure then I got now.

Does anyone know which (non-)solvents I could use to get a purer muscimol rate?
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
triplepoint
Hazard to Others

Mood: in equilibrium

[*] posted on 10-10-2012 at 13:00

chemicalforums may have some pointers for you. Look at this thread:
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=52176.0
pedrovecchio
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-10-2012 at 20:56

First you check the literature. There are several references for the isolation of muscimol here:

https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/data-and-analysis/bulletin/bu...

You having some Amanita muscaria makes me remember that my deceased grandma used to say: "God gives walnuts to people who don't have teeth."

I think this topic belongs to the Biochemistry section, joined with this other topic:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=21721
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Threads Merged
13-10-2012 at 00:01

Go To Top