Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Bi-metallic Fuse and intermetallic reactions
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 30-6-2005 at 03:28
Magnesium-zinc intermetallics

(If this belongs better in Energetic Matl's, well, you know what to do :) )

Has anyone experimented with Mg-Zn for reductions or pyrotechnic compositions?

http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/Images/Mg-Zn.gif
I just mixed small batches of 25% Mg-75% Zn and 15% Mg-85% Zn (by weight, corresponding to Mg<SUB>12</SUB>Zn<SUB>13</SUB> and MgZn<SUB>2</SUB> respectively). Both are brittle and easy to grind; the 12:13 catches fire readily above the melting point (burning with the blue to green to white flame you would expect from such a mixture), while the other did not burn. Both crushed well (though minor galling was noticed grinding the 1:2 mix) and both burned well once powdered. The 1:2 burned with a more distinct bluish-green color when mixed with some chlorate + charcoal composition.

I will yet try the remaining two intermetallics (2:3 and 2:11).

Oh, and the ultimate purpose of this is to find brittle intermetallics for reactive metals (such as Mg, Al and Zn) to simplify grinding.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
my nootloss
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-6-2005 at 04:43

Have you tried sulfur and zinc?
uber luminal
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-6-2005 at 04:48

interesting idea. I would think the phase diagram would come in handy here. *wishes for ASM BPD vol 1-3*.

However, *scratches head* this is my first, 'I just woke up from 4 hours of crappy sleep' impression: if the 2 metals reacted in air... wouldnt the reaction then be Mg, Zn and O2?

When Mg is reactive with other metals in an inert chamber, it does not give off different colors like this. I would try it today to find out for you, but all the melters are under a heavey queue right now. and even if I had more time reserved today, I have 14 melts I need to make before I can screw around. :(
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 30-6-2005 at 13:57

Ohh, this is just brittle metals for crushing-- not entropy released on forming intermetallics. I noticed no heat of formation when alloying.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top