Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: amines from alkyl halides using arylsulfonamide salts
Sydenhams chorea
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-11-2012 at 16:37
amines from alkyl halides using arylsulfonamide salts

While browsing the patent GB1069797, which describes the preparation of aminoketones related to cathinone, an interesting tidbit was found:
Quote:

Alternatively, the alpha-haloketone of the formula II can be reacted with a salt of an N-R³ arylsulphonamide, preferably an N-R³ toluenesulphonamide of the formula

(in which R³ is as hereinbefore defined), with formation of a potassium halide, e.g., potassium bromide, and an intermediate which can be hydrolysed, e.g., under reflux for several hours with concentrated hydrochloric acid, to the compound of formula I and an arylsulphonic acid.

This was reminiscent of the Gabriel synthesis, and in fact, while checking this wiki, it states that "Most such reagents, e.g. the sodium salt of saccharin, are electronically similar to the phthalimide salts. In terms of their advantages, some such alternative reagents hydrolyze more readily, extend the reactivity to secondary alkyl halides, and allow the production of secondary amines". It goes on to refer to this paper:

Novel Gabriel reagents
Ulf Ragnarsson , Leif Grehn
Acc. Chem. Res., 1991, 24 (10), pp 285–289
DOI: 10.1021/ar00010a001

...to which I unfortunately have no access.

I wasn't aware that alkali salts of arylsulfonamides existed, and I am unable to find much on their properties and more specifically to a use analogeous to the Gabriel synthesis, more than this line: "Use of p-toluenesulphonamide as a derivative of ammonia activated to alkylation by alkyl halides is exemplified by the synthesis of N-tosyl-2,3-dihydroisoindole from o-xylylene dibromide. "
source: http://chemicalland21.com/specialtychem/finechem/PTSA.htm

I wonder if anyone here knows more specifics about this reaction, the preparation of these salts and the theory behind it?

Attachment: aminoketone_derivatives_GB1069797.pdf (75kB)
This file has been downloaded 428 times

Il n'y a point de sots si incommodes que ceux qui ont de l'esprit.
François de La Rochefoucauld.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-11-2012 at 17:09

I did a few reactions using substituted aryl sulfonamides (from sub aniline and TsCl). Because the desired reaction occured by deprotonation of the nitrogen I set about looking for a pKa value. Off the top of my head, the value I found was less than 10; 6-8 rings a bell. I was actually quite suprised it was THAT acidic.
gypsyNo2
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 01:41

This might help you

Attachment: gab synth .pdf (703kB)
This file has been downloaded 837 times

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2-11-2012 at 04:17

N-Alkylation of tosylamides and other sulfonamides is trivial and there are plenty of literature examples you can find. However, as a route to amines it is not the most trivial one, due to selectivity issues resulting from the reductive cleavage commonly required for the N-detosylation (or desulfonylation in general, though some relatively mild reductive cleavage conditions were developed recently). For this reason, this strategy is rarely used or used only on robust enough substrates, especially since there exist alternative strategies (N-alkylation of azide or phthalimide for primary amines, or of carbamates for secondary amines). It does some advantages though: sulfamides are relatively quite acidic in aprotic polar solvents and thus there is less elimination side reaction when compared to the N-alkylation of carbamates or carbamides (see the pKa of sulfamides and particularly that of sulfanilides in DMSO; also with carbamides problems with O- vs. N-alkylation selectivity can result, particularly with hard electrophiles).
There are some sulfamides which can be N-alkylated to give N-alkylsulfamides which can easily be desulfonylated. One such is saccharin and the others are the o-nitrobenzenesulfonamides. The first can be cleaved hydrolytically under acceptably mild conditions and the second ones can be cleaved nucleophilically (for example, with thiolates).
Quote: Originally posted by Sydenhams chorea  
This was reminiscent of the Gabriel synthesis, and in fact, while checking this wiki, it states that "Most such reagents, e.g. the sodium salt of saccharin, are electronically similar to the phthalimide salts. In terms of their advantages, some such alternative reagents hydrolyze more readily, extend the reactivity to secondary alkyl halides, and allow the production of secondary amines".

If try to UTFSE of this topic, you get: Forest of amines! (saccharin to cyclic and asymmetric amines)

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Sydenhams chorea
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-11-2012 at 22:42

Thank you gypsyNo2 for providing the paper and Nicodem for your erudite explanation of the subject matter.

Il n'y a point de sots si incommodes que ceux qui ont de l'esprit.
François de La Rochefoucauld.
gypsyNo2
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-11-2012 at 03:40

Anytime, I'm actually working on some amine synth myself so it was good for me to get hold of the paper.

Cheers

GypsyNo2

Go To Top