Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pb02 gunpowder
Poppy
Hazard to Others

Mood: † chemical zombie

[*] posted on 25-11-2012 at 15:15
Pb02 gunpowder

Hi!
In often scarsely exploited uses of lead dioxide as in purely explosive devices, how do you think it would react?
Lead has long been sent through people "asses" worldwide but sending lead directly as its own propeller is sort of a bonus!
simply RED
Hazard to Others

Mood: booM

[*] posted on 25-11-2012 at 22:19

Too dangerous, especially with metal powders.

When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead...
Poppy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-11-2012 at 13:43

No gun no fun, it seems too!
A test with a small ammount mixed in sugar burned vigorously.
I'll try the friction to detonation test!

[Edited on 11-27-2012 by Poppy]
simply RED
Hazard to Others

Mood: booM

[*] posted on 26-11-2012 at 23:51

It seems useless to repeat that high percent of the accidents involving pyrotechnical compositions worldwide happen from mixing """lead minium red paint and white bronze paint""". The later is flake aluminium powder coated with stearine. The mixture, despite looking safe, can detonate accidentaly from friction, much like our beloved organic peroxides...

Well in fact it does not detnate but deflagrate very fast producing very high temperature residue.

[Edited on 27-11-2012 by simply RED]

When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead...
Swede
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-11-2012 at 13:23

Poppy, do you REALLY want to get Pb poisoning? What do you think happens to all that lead when the comp burns or explodes? It gets turned into smoke or gasses, which you then breathe.

No thanks. There are dozens of interesting propellants to explore which do not carry the risk of heavy metal poisoning with them.

This is why I don't even use lead media when ball milling black powder. Some of the Pb always ends up in the mixture.

[Edited on 27-11-2012 by Swede]
Poppy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-12-2012 at 16:53

Particularly the tests are going to be carried outside so small animals such as birds and rats may get poisoned but thats it such a little amount... bullets themselves are a much worse poisoning capability. Just think of shooting a machine gun how much Lead evaporates around your neck
Also, if it works, it may be use as one of the easiest to produce primaries for amateur detonation intents.
Why does Lead compounds scares people so much?
AP makes me deeply freaked as memories of collecting its crystals from a glass dish with a spoon gives chills in the spine, but you guys around don't seem to care much.
If it sorts environmental concern yes the invisible smoke can pass skin and lungs and be absorbed faster than conventional lead poisoning...

How much discouraging..

Okkie I'm leaving this.. for the protection of rats!

[Edited on 12-5-2012 by Poppy]
Swede
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 09:01

"You guys don't seem to mind... AP" - don't generalize. I've never touched AP, never will. There are too many other interesting primaries out there.

I'm sorry, I stand by my statement. The amount of Pb in the atmosphere after any modest test is going to be quite large, and MUCH more dangerous than handling metallic lead, or firing a gun. In the case of PbO2 powder, ALL of the lead is vaporized, whereas with a bullet, only those without a jacket, the amount is trivial.

Don't get all huffy - just trying to help with a friendly warning. If I was going to do something that would evolve phosgene or H2S gas, I would want someone to warn me.
Poppy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 18:06

Quote: Originally posted by Swede  
"You guys don't seem to mind... AP" - don't generalize. I've never touched AP, never will. There are too many other interesting primaries out there.

I'm sorry, I stand by my statement. The amount of Pb in the atmosphere after any modest test is going to be quite large, and MUCH more dangerous than handling metallic lead, or firing a gun. In the case of PbO2 powder, ALL of the lead is vaporized, whereas with a bullet, only those without a jacket, the amount is trivial.

Don't get all huffy - just trying to help with a friendly warning. If I was going to do something that would evolve phosgene or H2S gas, I would want someone to warn me.

Nevermind, it doesn't work. It burns slowly and not completly on shock.
Damn some of the lead was absorbeb through inhalation indeed...

Go To Top