Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Ultimate Thermometer Test: video
metalresearcher
National Hazard

Mood: Reactive

[*] posted on 9-12-2012 at 02:58
The Ultimate Thermometer Test: video

Not exactly Chemistry, but as temperature is an important factor in chemistry I checked my thermometers.

For checking the actual values of some temperature measuring devices I read out some of them when putting them into slush which should be exactly zero degrees C.

<iframe sandbox width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/REtomRkjY_0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 9-12-2012 at 11:31

Just so you know ice can be below 0*C :). I suspect that you're slush or slurry is not exactly homogenous and certainly not all in the melting phase at the exact time of the measurements. Ice only really melts at 0*C and that is with pure water. Then again there is also the instrumentation error/calibration as well.

Nice set-up with the thermocouple and PID :).

neptunium
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-12-2012 at 14:03

and dont forget that if you live in altitude the result may be flawed as well ....0c is valid at sea level.. with a known preassure ...during a storm the atmospheric preassure drops and spoilled your results, but this is kinda far for a simple experiment considering that the eye may be mistaken if not looking exactly at the same level of the alcohol....
this kind of thinking will get you confused and there is really no need for that. nothing is absolute execpt in theory and pure math..

Swede
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 09:24

I like your video, thanks for sharing it. I'd guess the systems are showing low (as mentioned earlier) due to contaminants within the melting snow. If it is in fact snow, it's going to be relatively impure water. You can always try again using frozen distilled water, breaking cubes into small pieces, then allowing that to melt into a slush, and stabilizing.

My favorite "all-around" lab thermometer is a teflon-coated PT100 RTD which can handle most lab setups short of the really high-temp stuff. I like easy to read digital displays. It's better than a thermocouple, but not as accurate as a quality liquid thermometer.

Go To Top