Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Formaldehyde
PooPoo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-12-2012 at 23:39
Formaldehyde

I bought a bottle of 37% Formaldehyde off of an auction site. Is there a way to tell if it is authentic formaldehyde or water in a bottle from a scammer. I know there are test strips I can buy but they are too expensive. Is there a safe test I could perform to find out quickly? Like test it on a plant or a bug or anything?

I was trying to buy Formalin 3 to treat my ill aquarium fish but no one sells it anymore so I want to try diluting the formaldahyde 37%. Thank you
triplepoint
Hazard to Others

Mood: in equilibrium

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 01:06

Quote: Originally posted by PooPoo  
I bought a bottle of 37% Formaldehyde off of an auction site. Is there a way to tell if it is authentic formaldehyde or water in a bottle from a scammer.

1. There is no mistaking the smell of formaldehyde. Take a careful sniff. If it is formaldehyde, you will know it!
2. Formaldehyde can be used for a clock reaction. See link: http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/demos/main_pages/22.16.html

Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the show?
PooPoo
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 04:20

Thanks triplepoint. The second one is way over my head, ashamed to say. I didn't even have chemistry in high school. I thought I might find some helpful answers here. I didn't know whether it was safe to even cautiously sniff this stuff nor if it had an odor.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 07:50

Indeed, if the bottle contains formaldehyde, then you will know it when you open the bottle! Do not do that in a badly ventilated room and be careful not to sniff too much of the vapor. It is highly irritating, makes your eyes running water like hell. Keep in mind that formaldehyde is a carcinogen. A single whiff won't give you cancer, but it is important to avoid frequent exposure. It is like with smoking cigarettes, a single cigarette is not a problem, but day after day usage is and the same is true for using formaldehyde. If you use it frequently, then take special care not to inhale any of the vapors.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
mycotheologist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 09:23

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
A single whiff won't give you cancer, but it is important to avoid frequent exposure. It is like with smoking cigarettes, a single cigarette is not a problem, but day after day usage is and the same is true for using formaldehyde. If you use it frequently, then take special care not to inhale any of the vapors.

Insanely enough, some people dip joints in embalming fluid and smoke it.
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 11:21

Quote: Originally posted by mycotheologist  
A single whiff won't give you cancer, but it is important to avoid frequent exposure. It is like with smoking cigarettes, a single cigarette is not a problem, but day after day usage is and the same is true for using formaldehyde. If you use it frequently, then take special care not to inhale any of the vapors.

That is an urban legend and media moral panic

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 12:00

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  
Quote: Originally posted by mycotheologist  

That is an urban legend and media moral panic

Can you imagine smoking something soaked in conc. formaldehyde?!
PooPoo
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 19:36
No Dipping

I promise there will be no joint dippin' on our end. Fish Medishury only! Yes I do know that is not a real word. It arrived today but I haven't worked up the nerve to sniff it yet. My fish have gotton many medications with no results so that is why I'm concidering this route. I need to read the safe handling info first. Companies will display Formalin 3 for sale on there sites but when I actually place the order it comes back as cancelled.?? Perhaps it requires credentials of some sort.
ziqquratu
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 20:39

"Embalming fluid" is a slang name for PCP freebase. I would guess that smoking real (formaldehyde-based) embalming fluid wouldn't result in much of a high (if nothing else, most of it is highly flammable); PCP, on the other hand...

As for testing for aldehydes, the silver mirror (Tollens' reagent) test is the classic qualitative method. But, as previously mentioned, the smell of formaldehyde is very distinctive.

Go To Top