Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A question i always wonder about, about removing water from a substance.
KonkreteRocketry
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-1-2013 at 12:18
A question i always wonder about, about removing water from a substance.

I know u can easily force something like dextrose monohydrate's water molecules out by heating it for few hours.

but calcium nitrate mostly exist in tetrahydrate Ca(NO3)2 (H2O)4 form, with a so how to take the water molecules out if this thing already have a melting point under boiling point of water ? but boiling point over water's boiling point, so can i still make it anhydrate ? and any ways i can completely separate water from Ca(NO3)2 ?
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 4-1-2013 at 15:02

This may help. Per Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thionyl_chloride ):

"Anhydrous metal chlorides may be obtained from hydrated metal chlorides by refluxing in freshly distilled thionyl chloride:[14]

MCln·xH2O + x SOCl2 → MCln + x SO2 + 2x HCl "

which is one expensive path if heating is not an option.

Also, depending on the particular compound in question, there may be an anhydrous synthesis, but still compare the relative cost/ease of the thionyl chloride method.

[Edited on 4-1-2013 by AJKOER]
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 5-1-2013 at 00:07

I have a related question I have always been wondering about. I know that ethyl ether can be dehydrated with conc. sulfuric acid to ethylene gas. Can methyl ether be dehydrated with sulfuric acid ?? If so, what forms?

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.
ThatchemistKid
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-1-2013 at 20:05

...Ethanol is dehydrated to ethylene by heating in sulfuric acid, via E1 mechanism? Probably with some sort of significant E2 character.

In other words the ether is not dehyrdated, but the alcohol is. Dehydrating methanol doesn't occur as you would just be generating a methyl cation...

Go To Top