Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Biochem Major?
Nasir
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 17:07
Biochem Major?

Hello and thanks for reading this thread.

I'm currently thinking about being a Biochem major at UMich and would like to ask a couple questions.

1. How much math does a biochem major need to know? How much math is helpful to know?

I've taken Calc 3, Lin. Algebra, Diff Eqs, and a theoretical stats class so far. Would a math minor go well with a biochem major? The extra courses I would take are Mathematical Modeling in the Biological and Biochemical Sciences, Boundary Value Problems of Partial Differential Equations, Advanced Mathematical Modeling in the Biological and Biochemical Sciences, and Biostatistics. I'm inclined towards math but it could make life hell since it's pretty hard.

2. How much fun is biophysical chemistry? Is it as fun as P-Chem? (I took an intro to P-Chem course for Biochem and Chem majors and Pre-Pharmacy students and loved it but I really like the field of biochem more--I took Intro to Biochem while I took Intro to P-Chem.)

3. What kinds of skills are required for a Biochem major? Is it more logic and intuitive skills? Analytic and mathematical? Or just memorization?

4. How's the job field for biochem majors?

5. Is anyone here interested in MD/PhD programs in medical biochemistry? Or simply an MD but with an emphasis in academic medical research in biochem?

Thank you very much. :)

[Edited on 1/9/2013 by Nasir]

[Edited on 1/9/2013 by Nasir]
aaparatuss
Harmless

Mood: questing

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 20:18

well you'll end up having to work in the big cities more then likely where pharma companies are.

if you have the means id get the masters..... or you'll have to take a job at a waste water treatment plant as a technician ... and like it...

epitopes... you must use math to unlock the secrete of epitopes.
Darkblade48
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 21:26

Quote: Originally posted by Nasir  

1. How much math does a biochem major need to know? How much math is helpful to know?

I took similar courses in high school, and only used calculus up until my 2nd year. Granted, I was in Molecular Genetics/Microbiology, but I was taking the same courses that Biochem majors were taking up until 3rd year...

After that, no math was required.

3. What kinds of skills are required for a Biochem major? Is it more logic and intuitive skills? Analytic and mathematical? Or just memorization?

For most of the undergraduate years, it was memorization.

Once you get to graduate school, it's more about logic and intuition.

I've been looking for a job for the last 6 months now :(

Go To Top