Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Good materials for a small vial based ball mill?
bmays
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-1-2013 at 09:53
Good materials for a small vial based ball mill?

I am having trouble making a ball mill that won't itself be worn down and contaminate what is being ground. I want to create micronized suspensions of organic compounds, nothing very hard or abrasive needs to be milled. I am using a glass vial, i have tried copper BBs and chrome ball bearings. They both dirty the water or scratch the glass vial telling me they are wearing down and creating contaminates. Maybe glass balls? Or softer airsoft type plastic BBs?
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 27-1-2013 at 12:37

Glass mortar and pestle, perhaps?

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-1-2013 at 12:41

I have used glass beads (the ones used in sterilizers) with success in the past. They're pretty cheap too... Although as mentioned by hissingnoise, why not use a mortar and pestle?
kingkey24
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-1-2013 at 06:15

you should use a plastic container and glass beads, that should lower the occurrence of wear on the vessle
bmays
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-1-2013 at 13:51

Is incredibly clumpy in a mortar and pestle, impossible without water even in ball mill. Would take ages to get it very fine as well, a ball mill is so easy i just leave it run for an hour and the particals are so fine it looks like milk. Will try to find some glass beads and a plastic vial.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 29-1-2013 at 16:36

maybe a different kind of glass for either the bottle or beads? One might be borosillicate and the other soft glass. What are you mixing? Maybe we can be of more help if you say.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
bmays
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-2-2013 at 15:55

I am milling down a water insoluble hormone to create a suspension of particles in water with tween 80 surfactant.

I think glass beads might work if they were borosilicate like you say, i am having trouble finding them. Beads from the craft store wear down over a few hours. I have abandoned the idea. The idea now is using tungsten tig rods or tungsten carbide rods if i can find them in a polypropylene vial. Inspired by this http://www.qclabequipment.com/MCRONEMICRONIZINGMILL.html

Go To Top