Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Paying double to anyone who orders chemical for me
Blarg!
Harmless

Mood: I'd love me some sheetz

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 07:54
Paying double to anyone who orders chemical for me

Hello, I am in the US and I am looking to buy sodium borohydride and it costs $40 for the smallest quantity in powder form from sigma-aldrich and I will pay you $80 via paypal for it if you can order this and then ship it to me.

"Use the force harry" Captain Picard
Arsole
Hazard to Self

Mood: Sleepy

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 17:01
WTF

Sigh, quit opening new posts.

I will try to make it simple for you because you seem to be slower than most. The individuals with accounts are not stupid enough to send you NaBH4.

You should keep your mouth shut for awhile and figure out how this site works.

Thoughts, like fleas, jump from man to man, but they don't bite everybody.
-Stanisław Jerzy Lec
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 17:16

^Agreed. Why would anyone order a chemical for you when you could just do it yourself? Or make it?

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 19:39

elementcollector1, you know that chemistry is a methodical science. There are methods that you can follow to achieve the reactions that you want. If you perform the method with arbitrary changes then it may not work as well as it might otherwise have done.

Well, soliciting help on forum is also a methodical process, and you don't seem to have been doing it in the optimal manner.

There are also sub-optimal ways of procuring materials. One of these is trying to buy common chemicals from Sigma-Aldrich. Sigma sell tiny amounts of very exotic intermediates to researchers for large amounts of money. For common chemicals, use eBay.
elementcollector1
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 21:02

Not sure if that second sentence was directed at me, but I'll assume it is (even though I don't quite understand what you're getting at).
The reason I don't want to help, thus making the process of solicitation sub-optimal, is that the member in question has generated what must be over 10 topics on the exact same subject (even this topic in particular is simply a duplicate). To use your analogies, this reduces the optimization of the forums in general.
I agree that Sigma-Aldrich is absolutely not an optimal source of common reagents to the amateur. Rare ones, maybe, and only then if you have a business to send them to and a fat wallet.

Also, for science's sake, Blarg! http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/beaglewebstore/-strse-1969/...

Blarg!
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 21:32

Lol sorry guys but if it was easy for me to acquire this then I wouldn't be writing two or three different posts about it. The place you reccommended is out of stock. I do not have any permits or a business to order it with so its not working out for me. Ive looked at many other sources. STILL i cannot find it. Thankfully, there are people willing to sell that may send it to me soon.

Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

Mood: alive

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 21:36

Ebay USA doesn't have any NaBH4, and ordering it internationally is very expensive.

As far as synthesizing it, I can't find any feasible method for synthesizing it -- if you can't get sodium borohydride, you can't get sodium hydride.
elementcollector1
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 21:51

Sodium hydride appears to be a common problem on the "unconventional sodium" thread over in Technochemistry, and it appears to occur when the molten NaOH is electrolyzed too long. Wiki says react this with some borosilicate glass, and you have your sodium borohydride. However, recrystallization to get a purer salt poses its own difficulties: Sodium borohydride appears to react with water (Wiki again, although the page contradicts itself in a few places). The typical method is to use a warm (50 C) solution of a diglyme (not easy to come across).

EDIT: from the thread:
Sodium hydride.
Merck says: prepared by passing hydrogen into molten sodium dispersed in oil or mixed with a catalyst such as anthracene above 250ยบ. Reacts explosively with water, violently with lower alcohols, ignites spontaneously upon standing in moist air.
So this method isn't going to work if one is after solid sodium metal but I think it has promise for potassium since it does not form hydrides in this reaction. I am still working on improving the Kbomb and will post the further results as I have them.

A more direct process:
NaOH + 4Mg + B(OH)3 = 4MgO + NaBH4

That B(OH)3 is boric acid, found in Roach Ridd with Boric Acid (probably at your local Home Depot), according to our very own MrHomeScientist.

No clue on separating the magnesium oxide, though.

[Edited on 8-2-2013 by elementcollector1]

Blarg!
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 21:52

And i mean if youre willing to tell me how to make it or how to order it and where from then by all means please go ahead and do so. Im also not slow, you may not agree with my actions but my cash will always put willing people in front of me as ive got options of multpile individual buyers now. Thanks for your input though.

Blarg!
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 21:58

So now that you see my situation, are any of you willing to mail it to me without hazmat labels in normal packaging? Like i said i dont have any permits for that.

No one will ever know its in tbe package, ive ordered so many things like this before and theyve all come through. Mail is pretty protected by felony charge if anyone decides to fuck with it.

Mercedesbenzene
Hazard to Self

Mood: Sub Zero

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 22:03

What exactly are you going to use this chemical for? If it is so hard to obtain this chemical, would another reducing agent not be more suitable? Or just not bothering with the synthesis?
Blarg!
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 22:11

What other reducing agents could I use? To reduce a 17=O?

Mercedesbenzene
Hazard to Self

Mood: Sub Zero

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 22:28

Do you mean a C=O? Off the top of my head there are a few other reagents, it also depends what you want to reduce it to, an alcohol? An alkane? An alkene? What is the exact product you are trying to make? Is there another synthetic method that would end directly with the reduced product you want? In order for us to give you a better answer you need to supply better information. Specifically references.
Blarg!
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-2-2013 at 22:36

I pretty much just basically need NaBH4. Theres a couple of uses my brother and I have for it and there's at least one that requires specifically it.

Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-2-2013 at 00:56

From the discourse you used in this and other threads you opened on this same topic, it is obvious you are up to no good. I don't want any naive member to get involved in this, so stop spamming the forum with your offers.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Closed
8-2-2013 at 00:56

Go To Top