Author: Subject: Acetaldehyde DANGER!!
strawberryfieldsforever
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 01:21
Acetaldehyde DANGER!!

Ok.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetaldehyde

" It is also produced by oxidation of ethylene and is popularly believed to be a cause of hangovers from alcohol consumption."

I mean from the point of SAFETY and down, WTF?!!

We've all probably heard the legit possibilitys of marijuana treating breast cancer or in other ways via indica tincture, but wuuuut...?:

"UCLA pulmonologist Dr. Donald Tashkin, supported by other research, concluded that the active ingredient tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, has an “anti-tumoral effect” in which “cells die earlier before they age enough to develop mutations that might lead to lung cancer” from acetaldehyde and other carcinogens."

is it just me or is this all weird

It's not like this substance is good or bad its both, and everywhere even naturally. and a carcinogen

[Edited on 12-2-2013 by strawberryfieldsforever]
simba
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 06:51

Aceltaldehyde is a class 3 carcinogen, meaning it may or may be not a carcinogen, it is still inconclusive. But even if it is indeed a carcinogen it is just a weak one, nothing to get so worried.
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 07:03

I'd be more worried about runaway polymerization than neoplasm, unless your an unhealthy individual being exposed chronically. But I'm certain I've had tons of different vino from around the globe, and no cancer yet.

The biggies I always felt worried about are things like nitrosamines, TCDD (AKA Putin poison #3). Acetaldehyde just likely to follow the path towards acetic acid. Formaldehyde ultimately forms ic acid, and is why methanol is dangerous.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 12:29

I'm fairly sure that acetaldehyde is still used as a food additive- specifically as part of "orange" flavouring.
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 12:42

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
I'm fairly sure that acetaldehyde is still used as a food additive- specifically as part of "orange" flavouring.

it is also present in natural stuff like fruits in small amounts probably

and yoghurt and so on..
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 14-2-2013 at 07:51

Your getting your panties in a wad over acetaldehyde? Next will be dihydrogen monoxide

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
Arsole
Hazard to Self

Mood: Sleepy

[*] posted on 15-2-2013 at 17:27

Dihydrogen monoxide you say? That is some dangerous stuff. I see that has also found its way into our food supply, lowering sperm count and what not.

Time to take a stand I say. ;)

Thoughts, like fleas, jump from man to man, but they don't bite everybody.
-Stanisław Jerzy Lec
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 15-2-2013 at 18:59

And its used in nuclear reactors, pesticides and street drugs!!!

Ok I so was being a bit of an asshole, Im sorry. Apparently alcohol is a cancer risk according to a random article I found. Made me think of Christopher Hitchens. I bought a bottle of Johnny Walker Black in memory when he passed.

What pisses me off is everything in the State of California is labeled as a cancer risk to the point of absurdity. Imagine seeing this sign when you go into McDonalds.

So basically don't smoke cigarettes for 50 years and don't sniff asbestos or alkylating agents and you will be fine.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 15-2-2013 at 19:17

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  

Ok I so was being a bit of an asshole, Im sorry. Apparently alcohol is a cancer risk according to a random article I found. Made me think of Christopher Hitchens. I bought a bottle of Johnny Walker Black in memory when he passed.

What pisses me off is everything in the State of California is labeled as a cancer risk to the point of absurdity. Imagine seeing this sign when you go into McDonalds.

So basically don't smoke cigarettes for 50 years and don't sniff asbestos or alkylating agents and you will be fine.

California is a joke to me. I went there, and the people there were too busy giving themselves skin cancer to pay attention to the signs.
(sorry to anyone actually living in Cali. If it makes you feel better, everyone in Washington is a hipster and packing heat).

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 16-3-2013 at 17:37

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  

Didn't the oldest woman in the world smoke for about 96 years of her life?
Thebrain
Harmless

Mood: indignant

[*] posted on 16-3-2013 at 19:52

If acetaldehyde is a carcinogen, then we're in trouble. It's found in yogurt as a natural result of fermentation. It's also in apples and hard candies. Probably lots of other places too.

Go To Top