Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How precautious should I be when purchasing OTC chemicals?
Hockeydemon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 01:06
How precautious should I be when purchasing OTC chemicals?

Hey everyone,

Everything is finally starting to come together I can stop fantasizing about being a little scientist and actually do it. With this comes the need to procure chemicals :/

I know for the most part what things I want, such as PH up & down, muriatic acid, caustic soda, ammonia, bleach, professional drain cleaner, and I'm sure many others I can't think of off the top of my head.

I just don't know how precautious I need to be as a 22 year old kid.. I don't look or sound like a punk thankfully.. But should I make a point to always pay in cash? Would people think I'm up to no good if I bought those items together? If I should spread it out over different places how many?

I'd rather be safe than sorry..

Vargouille
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 01:40

Most people probably wouldn't care, but if you want to make absolutely sure, it can help if you spread the purchases into related things. pH Up and Down, Muriatic Acid, Calcium Up, Chlorine-free shock, etcetera, are all expected items for someone buying for a pool and a spa. Ammonia, bleach, and vinegar are all common items for cleaning. You can pick up caustic soda, sulfuric acid drain cleaner, copper sulfate, etcetera, for problems with your pipes, and they won't bat an eye. Personally, I wouldn't go to such length, but it's your money.
Doc B
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 02:28

Erring on the side of caution would seldom seem unwise. Even if it is just to pay in cash and out of town, while buying whatever you like in one hit to minimize the inconvenience of traveling. It won't be traceable from the purchase so it won't matter if eyebrows are raised.

Go To Top