Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Exploding high energy gases
Ral123
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-3-2013 at 16:13
Exploding high energy gases

As far as I know oxy/acetylene can achieve up to 3000m/s at normal pressure. I did a test with butane/oxygen witch turned out pretty destructive. It crushed a kinda beefy aluminium spray can.
I wonder is it possible to let gasses accelerate in a thick walled tube and in the end to have so much velocity and temperature, that a light projectile(with much smaller diameter) can be launched with high velocity.
Here's my test of 10L stoichiometric oxygen/butane:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypTADUYQ5ZI
Alster370
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-3-2013 at 16:25

If i remember correctly, a projectile can only move as fast as the speed of sound value of its propelling gas. If that holds true, your best bet is to use hydrogen, with oxygen or air. The application GASEQ gives you the speed of sound of pretty much any gas mixture you can think of at various pressures.
gnitseretni
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-3-2013 at 18:21

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voitenko_compressor

"In a typical Voitenko compressor, a shaped charge accelerates hydrogen gas which in turn accelerates a thin disk up to about 40 km/s."
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-3-2013 at 23:07

My idea is that down the pipe, the gases are more and more compressed. I've played with gas/O2 in a very thick walled polypropylene pipe. When just making noise not much happened. When I putted an apple in to be launched, the pipe cracked just before the apple. That means, the detonation accelerates along the length. May be in long steel pipe it'll be able to give an airgun pellet the energy of 0.22lr?

Go To Top