Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Selling MMO electrodes.
Mixell
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-3-2013 at 05:51
Selling MMO electrodes.

They are 1.6mm thick (1/16") by 22.2mm-25.4mm (7/8"-1") wide by 254mm long (10").

The diamond shaped holes are 3.2mm (1/8") x 8mm (5/16").

The coating is a mixed iridium-ruthenium oxide on a titanium substrate.

The weight of a 1" electrode is 19g and the weight of the 7/8" one is 16.6g.

I have 8 in stock.

On request those can be cut to half the length (half of the electrode will be cheaper of-course).

I'm not really sure for how much I should sell them, you can send me offers via U2U.

Shipping should be pretty cheap (just a few $).

I'm open to trades as-well, more specifically in the electrolysis area (and even more specifically, I'm in need of a platinum wire).

[img][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1VZe2LZ.jpg?1[/IMG][/img]

[img][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PpKMYLw.jpg?1[/IMG][/img]

[Edited on 18-3-2013 by Mixell]
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-3-2013 at 17:01

Photos added.
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-3-2013 at 11:19

No one wants home made chlorate?
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 20-3-2013 at 16:27

Home made chlorate is great, but apparently no one wants to buy MMO electrodes when plain old graphite will do the same job nearly as well. Especially when said people are working on a budget of $10 per month.
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 20-3-2013 at 16:38

MMO electrodes remove a lot of work, they do not erode, give very pure product and last for thousands of hour.

I never asked for this.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 20-3-2013 at 16:47

10% sodium hypochlorite is readily available where I live, this is a good source of potassium chlorate on a multigram scale.
How much potassium chlorate does any home chemist require?
I normally do experiments on a scale of a few grams so a fifty gram batch is plenty for ages.
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2013 at 01:57

SS, it depends on if you are a pyro-technician that puts on a show each year or if you're working in a home lab. Pyrotechnics takes quit a bit more chemicals than a home lab does.

I go through lbs. of KClO4 when I'm working up stars for a show.

[Edited on 21-3-2013 by hyfalcon]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 21-3-2013 at 03:10

Quote: Originally posted by Cheddite Cheese  
Home made chlorate is great, but apparently no one wants to buy MMO electrodes when plain old graphite will do the same job nearly as well. Especially when said people are working on a budget of $10 per month.
I must say that once you have used MMO, you never want to go back to graphite for making KClO3. Even if you just want to make small quantities (I myself made appr. 250 grams), then working with MMO is a real pleasure, compared to working with carbon. You get a really nice and clean product, no hassle with dirty black solutions which are hard or even impossible to filter and a single recrystallization gives you snow-white pure KClO3.

MMO can be interesting for many other electrolysis experiments as well, the material withstands many oxidizing and acidic solutions quite well.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 21-3-2013 at 08:17

Pyrotechnics are out for me as I have a commercial brewing licence and I get visits from the police, fire service, customs, etc.

Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-3-2013 at 04:57

I've noticed that some forum members bid on the electrode auctions in my store on eBay....

FYI: getting them from me via this forum will be cheaper and faster.
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-4-2013 at 05:59

3 and a half left.
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 13:36

All sold.
I'm thinking about ordering ~200 units of those from a Chinese supplier, anyone else is interested in buying them?
sbbspartan
Hazard to Self

Mood: DEAD (diethyl azodicarboxylate)

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 13:57

What would the cost be if you ordered them? How big of a piece?

Check out my new website at http://www.theamateurchemist.com and my new store at http://store.theamateurchemist.com/ .

violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 13:59

I might be interested. been wanting to buy one for a while but have been wary of the quality/cost from suppliers. I have heard that the cut ones are more prone to wear or shedding, and not all makers pre-cut then plate. but plate then cut leaving exposed edges. what did you end up charging per piece anyhow? I would not be interested in more than one or 2 at most so I couldn't really help shoulder a bulk order. feel free to U2U me details. thanks
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 16:10

I've sold them for 25-30$ a piece. They do have uncovered edges, but as titanium forms a passivation layer of TiO2, those edges do not usually pose problem. That is why titanium is used as a substrate for MMO.
Passivation of untreated titanium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=...

The cost will be 300$-500$, the pieces will be approximately the same as those I sell. They might even be without untreated edges.
So I don't need help in shouldering a bulk order, 300$-500$ is not such a big sum of money...

Anyway, I'll have to look into it, as there are custom charges and cumbersome paying methods involved.

violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 16:49

300-500$ not so bad for an investment that makes money no. but deff more than a "for the shelf" item 200 would be if not sold... and 25-30$ each is reasonable provided you could send it cheaply in some sort of envelope or the like. I hate it when the item is cheap and the shipping is a ball buster.
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-4-2013 at 18:58

Wow, having business with those Chinese on Alibaba is one of the most exhausting communications I've ever had. You need to be careful with them though, as they have a certain limit on questions/inquiries regarding very small orders (above which they give you the "silence treatment").

I do have an option of cheap shipping available. 4$ including registered mail and the envelope itself, usually arrives within 7 working days.

They did offer me a very nice tubular anode for 34$/piece (photo attached), but I got my eyes on a 76m roll of 1.3mm thick and 25.4mm wide Ir-Ta coated titanium (hopefully they'll have it in Ir-Ru).

Which brings me up to the next question: Ir-Ru or Ir-Ta?

titanium tube anode .jpg - 88kB
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 19:41

Well, I have a chance of getting more electrodes (from the same supplier as the previous ones).

Anyone else is interested in purchasing?

I would also like to get responses from the guys who purchased them from me. Are they working fine? Any problems/issues encountered?

Also, I think about getting titanium cathodes as well, they will most likely be in the shape of titanium wires/rods. Will any of you be interested in them?
In addition to that, does anyone know if the titanium grade 5 alloy (Ti-6Al-4V) creates a stable passivating coating and conducts electricity as unalloyed titanium does?

I also have a chance of getting some wood's metal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood's_metal) will any of you be interested?

If you have some specific inquiry about general chemicals (stuff like CrO3, oxidizing/reducing agents and so on, nothing too exotic) feel free to ask (when there will be a solid list of inquiries, I will pass it on to the local chemical company and check if they have those things in stock).

And finally, if there any more things you might be interested in, like specific metals or anything else that comes to your mind, feel free to ask.

[Edited on 2-5-2013 by Mixell]
chemcam
Hazard to Others

Mood: I will be gone until mid-september, on a work contract.

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 20:01

Are you in the USA? The only thing I can think of that I would want is up to 3 ounces of sodium metal. My supplier won't go lower than one pound. I don't have a lot of money either. Depending on the price I may go for some titanium wire/rod.

My YouTube Channel: ChemCamTV
IRC Channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 20:14

I'm from Israel, so shipping sodium overseas will pose a problem...
binaryclock
Hazard to Others

Mood: Organic

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 20:39

Yeah I'm interested. How much per each 1"x10" product? How much for the Titanium as well?

Current Project: Playing with my new Laboy advanced distillery kit!
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 15:41

I will have the option of selling titanium wire for 2$ per meter 1mm diameter, 6$ for 0.2mm or 15$ for 0.4mm. I might also find some titanium strips. Although I doubt I'll get the wires in the near future, probably only in August/September...

Go To Top