Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: monosodium glutamate
KonkreteRocketry
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-3-2013 at 10:57
monosodium glutamate

any thing u can do with it ? i bought 100 grams of it cause it was only 5 dollars.
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-3-2013 at 12:32

If someone if allergic to it, than you can get him serious health problems.

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 18-3-2013 at 14:20

Quote: Originally posted by kristofvagyok  

That would be like finding someone allergic to any of the other amino acids, as the free glutamic acid will surely form in the acidic environment of the gut.

Most consensus online is that MSG allergy or Chinese restaurant syndrome is still unconfirmed and studies show no effect while other show very faint inconclusive effects of this compound.

Either way, free amino acids do effect our brain and as such glutamic acid may do so to.

My suggestion to OP is to powder your food with it if it is food grade, and don't worry about any side effect except obesity..:P

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 18-3-2013 at 14:46

A lot of foods are rich in glutamate containing proteins.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamic_acid#Nutrient
This wil be converted to free glutamic acid in your digestive system and then absorbed.
Turkey based bolognese sauce with pasta might have a lot more glutamte than the average Chinese meal seasoned with MSG?
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-3-2013 at 14:46

It can make tough meat tender, I personally use it in stews, makes the meat really nice and tender :P

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
KonkreteRocketry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-3-2013 at 22:58

the box says purity over >99%, so there isnt much i can do with it ? can i get copper glutamate from it ? any ways to change it to glutamic acid ?
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 19-3-2013 at 00:00

Quote: Originally posted by KonkreteRocketry  
any thing u can do with it ? i bought 100 grams of it cause it was only 5 dollars.

I had an idea. See the seventh post down (on page 3) in the "Nitro Nitroalkane syntheses ?" thread:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=2995&a...

[Edited on 19-3-2013 by AndersHoveland]
KonkreteRocketry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-3-2013 at 01:04

Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  

I had an idea. See the seventh post down (on page 3) in the "Nitro Nitroalkane syntheses ?" thread:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=2995&a...

[Edited on 19-3-2013 by AndersHoveland]

any way to transform MSG to glutamic acid ?
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 19-3-2013 at 01:32

You do realize that MSG is just the salt of glutamic acid? I would think you could just add a strong acid to displace the glutamic acid from its salt.
KonkreteRocketry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-3-2013 at 03:33

Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  

You do realize that MSG is just the salt of glutamic acid? I would think you could just add a strong acid to displace the glutamic acid from its salt.

I only have very weak acids like ascorbic and acetic acid
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 19-3-2013 at 06:22

Quote: Originally posted by bahamuth  
Quote: Originally posted by kristofvagyok  

That would be like finding someone allergic to any of the other amino acids, as the free glutamic acid will surely form in the acidic environment of the gut.

Most consensus online is that MSG allergy or Chinese restaurant syndrome is still unconfirmed and studies show no effect while other show very faint inconclusive effects of this compound.

Either way, free amino acids do effect our brain and as such glutamic acid may do so to.

My suggestion to OP is to powder your food with it if it is food grade, and don't worry about any side effect except obesity..:P

What if the effects aren't from glutamic acid per se, but from ingesting a lot of it, unbalanced by other amino acids? Most natural sources (ie, those we have evolved eating) would have glutamic acid mixed with all sorts of other aminos; I wonder about the effects of a sudden spike of a single amino acid.

But I agree, the main dangers are more subtle - like training people to reach for the Doritos every time they crave protein.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 19-3-2013 at 07:35

I can imagine that glutamate is capable of forming nicely colored complexes with transition metals. Try adding a solution of your Na-glutamate to a solution of a copper salt, a cobalt salt, a nickel salt, an iron salt, a chromium(III) salt and see what colors you obtain. Iḿ not sure about which colors you get, but I would be surprised if none of these metals shows interesting reactions with the ion.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
KonkreteRocketry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-3-2013 at 10:37

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
I can imagine that glutamate is capable of forming nicely colored complexes with transition metals. Try adding a solution of your Na-glutamate to a solution of a copper salt, a cobalt salt, a nickel salt, an iron salt, a chromium(III) salt and see what colors you obtain. Iḿ not sure about which colors you get, but I would be surprised if none of these metals shows interesting reactions with the ion.

Yeah ok I will try after my exams, have you ever tried any experiments on it ?

which ones u think i shall try ? i don't have a lot copper stuff,

copper acetate/oxide/nitrate/carbonate/copper metal alone - sodium glutamate ?

i think carbonate might not work, and i dont think copper will also as its less reactive than sodium

[Edited on 19-3-2013 by KonkreteRocketry]
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 19-3-2013 at 10:49

Yeah ok I will try after my exams, have you ever tried any experiments on it ?

which ones u think i shall try ? i don't have a lot copper stuff,

copper acetate/oxide/nitrate/carbonate/copper metal alone - sodium glutamate ?

i think carbonate might not work, and i dont think copper will also as its less reactive than sodium

[Edited on 19-3-2013 by KonkreteRocketry]

I'd go with the acetate. The metal itself won't react (unless you let it sit exposed to air for extended periods of time), and the insoluble ones will be too slow to react. There is still one acidic hydrogen on the glutamate ion, and the acetate will be better at removing it than nitrate.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 19-3-2013 at 11:04

you could also use it to imitate the taste (unami) of muscimol. Many Chinese restaurants have a pocket full of ancient secret so they can advertise "NO MSG ADDED". If it comes with msg, then none is added. MSG naturally occurring in huge quantities in soy sauce and any black bean (soy) ferment. Commercially made from autolysed yeast, adding this yeast, which is mainly MSG, is not adding MSG, technically. It's adding yeast (which contains MSG, of which they nay say). Then there are the very similar enhancers more popular in Korea until just recently. MS inosionate MS guanulate. Heck, they could probably use K or Ca glutamate and claim no MSG. You see, it's endless. Personally, I find MSG is only one ingredient which can make some superb foods taste even better. But you have to pay attention to how you use it, both quantity, and what you use it with. NEVEV use with eggs - yuck.

muscimol is a much more potent flavor enhancer than Accent. but it also enhances other things as well,, and is far more toxic per dose/weight.

"Old men who speak of victory
shed light upon their stolen life
they - drive by night- and act as if they're
moved by unheard music." B. Currie
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 19-3-2013 at 12:20

For a copper salt I would not try the acetate. The acetate ion itself also forms a complex with copper. Try with copper sulfate or copper nitrate. The sulfate is the most common salt of copper and it contains copper, coordinated to water only.

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 19-3-2013 at 12:37

For a copper salt I would not try the acetate. The acetate ion itself also forms a complex with copper. Try with copper sulfate or copper nitrate. The sulfate is the most common salt of copper and it contains copper, coordinated to water only.

The complex with acetate is very labile, and the acetate is definitely suitable for the glycine analogue of what we're discussing.

http://webs.wofford.edu/hilljb/Chem%20323/CopperGlycine.pdf

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 19-3-2013 at 23:49

It may be labile, but if I want to experiment with coordination complexes of metals, then I want to start off with a salt in which the metal is not coordinated to some other ion. Colors of solutions tend to be different with such salts, even if the complex is labile. If e.g. the color of the solution is green instead of sky-blue (which is the normal color of copper(II) in water), then what is the cause of this? Is it the acetate ion or the other ion which you are experimenting with?

So, my rule is. Use a salt in which the metal is not coordinated at all, or just with water. Examples are:

copper sulfate and copper nitrate (not the chloride!)
nickel sulfate and nickel nitrate
chromium nitrate
cobaltous sulfate and cobaltous nitrate (not the chloride!)
ferric nitrate or ammonium ferric sulfate

ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 21-3-2013 at 06:52

Copper glutamate

http://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?a05298
KonkreteRocketry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-3-2013 at 10:03

Quote: Originally posted by ScienceSquirrel  
Copper glutamate

http://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?a05298

They mentioned using copper nitrate with glutamic acid, but i have sodium glutamate. I think sodium glutamate can work also, but whats the balanced equation ?
ElectroWin
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-3-2013 at 11:32

presumably, your copper glutamate is less soluble than either ingredient, since something has to drive the reaction forward. so i assume that sodium glutamate will work as well.

2 C5H8NO4Na + Cu(NO3)2 --> (C5H8NO4)2Cu + 2 NaNO3

KonkreteRocketry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-3-2013 at 03:20

Quote: Originally posted by ElectroWin  
presumably, your copper glutamate is less soluble than either ingredient, since something has to drive the reaction forward. so i assume that sodium glutamate will work as well.

2 C5H8NO4Na + Cu(NO3)2 --> (C5H8NO4)2Cu + 2 NaNO3

I just tried this reaction, i added Copper II Nitrate into a Monosodium glutamate solution, and nothing happened, theres no fizzing or anything, the solution just turned blue as expected. No insolvent compounds are formed, does that suggest that there is no reaction ?
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 23-3-2013 at 06:20

I would not expect any fizzling. No gas will be involved in a reaction (if any occurs at all). A possible reaction could be formation of a complex and in that case you would observe a change of color. Apparently no reaction occurs, or the complex has the same color as the aqua-complex of copper, but I do not think that the latter is the case.

Is your copper nitrate true copper nitrate, or does it still contain quite some acid? If this is the case, then your glutaminate may react to glutamic acid. The acid most likely does not form complexes. It is the anionic species which usually coordinate to transition metal ions and not the free acids.

KonkreteRocketry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-3-2013 at 10:03

I would not expect any fizzling. No gas will be involved in a reaction (if any occurs at all). A possible reaction could be formation of a complex and in that case you would observe a change of color. Apparently no reaction occurs, or the complex has the same color as the aqua-complex of copper, but I do not think that the latter is the case.

Is your copper nitrate true copper nitrate, or does it still contain quite some acid? If this is the case, then your glutaminate may react to glutamic acid. The acid most likely does not form complexes. It is the anionic species which usually coordinate to transition metal ions and not the free acids.

Umm copper II Nitrate hvae a weird smell, and it still exists in the solution so i suggest that nothing happened ? im sure they are both copper nitrate and monosodium glutamate.
Hockeydemon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-3-2013 at 23:57

I've read on more than one occasion that yeasties will enzymatically metabolize Mono-Sodium Glutamate into gamma-Hydroxybutyric acid. People do drink it and report a noticeable effect, but I am skeptical that is what is actually occurring. I would like to know if that is what is actually happening, but I have 0 interest in consuming anything full of MSG, and I am unsure how to quantitatively test what is actually happening.

I'm unaware of any quantitative experiments on the matter so it would be a fun thing to share with the internet IMO if you have a safe way to test what's going on.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top