Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Help! Need Laboy order Cancel ASAP
parmenides123
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 11:30
Help! Need Laboy order Cancel ASAP

I need to cancel an order from laboy glass that was placed a few days ago. I just found out that in my state it is illegal to possess certain items in the order. I cannot get ahold of them! Someone please link me to them. I had no idea that it was illegal to own a piece of glass! I dont want to go to jail, please help. If it was already shipped what are some options I have? (besides going to jail or mexico)
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 11:58

I'd like to think I'd brazen it out ─ then again . . . ?

You could move to a less insane state?

[edit] Seriously though, if you're not intent on 'illegal drug' manufacture, you should, perhaps, stand up for your rights!

[Edited on 1-4-2013 by hissingnoise]
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 12:46

DO you have your order number? Here is an address I've used with good results; laboyglass@vip.sina.com. I'll look for a phone number but try that. In the worst case refuse to accept the package. Don't take it inside and don't open it. I'm not a lawyer so please do your own fact checking but try the email first.

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 13:29

What a sad sad state some places are in... Better play it safe and do what they want you to do: buy the full season of honey boo boo on DVD instead, and brainwash yourself with that :)
parmenides123
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 13:51

Yes I have my order number, Ive sent an email or two to that address. Im trying to cancel the payment with my bank, paypal said its already processed but my bank says its processing. Jesus man, what a nightmare. Im a chemistry major and this is seriously disheartening. I have absolutely no illegal intentions, I just wanted to play with a chemistry set like Ive studied and seen in youtube video. I might try to contact the carrier service if all else fails, do you think this wise? Anything helps. Thank you
Steve_hi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 14:27

It most likely wont be inspected by any state authorities anyways I wouldn't wory about it.
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 15:52

Forgive me for asking but what state are you talking about? Short of Texas I can't think of any state actively hunting anyone ordering labglass.Even then it's not terribly hard to get away with it assuming attention isn't drawn.

parmenides123
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 16:15

Assuming it was that state, what would be somthig that would draw attention, aside for this post. I just hope Laboy responds, I havent got an "item was shipped" notification from them, so hopefullly they will cancel it before it goes out. I understand I have a good chance of it going unoticed, but I had no idea that I was rolling the dice in the first place...sigh..what a terrible situation to be in.
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 17:31

typically, as I understand it, large and sustained conspicuous orders. a guy buying a bottle of nitric acid once isn't nearly as risky as buying barrels of it weekly. same with glass, unless you are buying crates of glass with regular intervals, the chances of one lone Chinese package isn't high. It is possible and the shipper may notice the import papers so don't get cocky.. but from your post it sounds like this is your first order. If I heard right it isn't illegal in Texas if a certain permit is had. The sheriffs office would issue it and after signing an affidavit it is doable.You would get inspected once and then simply stay in contact with the local sheriff. BUT I am no lawyer and getting details from the office is tricky for a out of stater such as myself. this link should help get a Texan started http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RegulatoryServices/narcotics/na... IN any and all cases though: Follow the law as best as you can possibly help it. I repeat I am not a lawyer, officer nor professional adviser: DO your own research, and seek legitimate professional advice.
P.S. I have never tried to contact their carrier given the language barrier but they will respond and and they do have a fairly easy to navigate page( assuming this is EMS as the carrier). GIve it a shot,they are a big company and this is something worth trying.
[Edited on 2-4-2013 by Funkerman23]

[Edited on 2-4-2013 by Funkerman23]

parmenides123
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 18:39

Laboy responded quickly and cancelled my order. I have contacted the DPS office and intend to get a permit ASAP. I really give Laboy glass alot of appreciation, as well as members of this forum. Without yall I might have been in some serious deep water. I would do business again with Laboy once I have the proper permits or was in a different location............WHEW.
Thebrain
Harmless

Mood: indignant

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 19:22

Now that your order is safely cancelled, can you tell us what this illegal piece of glass was?
parmenides123
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 20:04

[Edited on 2-4-2013 by parmenides123]
Steve_hi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-4-2013 at 04:30

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/regulatoryservices/narcotics/narcprecursor.htm

"Chemical laboratory apparatus" means any item of equipment designed, made, or adapted to manufacture a controlled substance or a controlled substance analogue, including:

(A) a condenser
(B) a distilling apparatus
(C) a vacuum drier
(D) a three-neck or distilling flask
(E) a tableting machine
(F) an encapsulating machine
(G) a filter, Buchner, or separatory funnel

(H) an Erlenmeyer, two-neck, or single-neck flask
(I) a round-bottom, Florence, thermometer, or filtering flask
(J) a Soxhlet extractor
(K) a transformer
(L) a flask heater
(M) a heating mantel or
(N) an adaptor tube

In order to also enhance your safety the state police of Texas requests that all mothers make sure their children are properly outfitted with the proper assault rifles for their protection, befor sending them off to school. Thanks for your co-operatiion.
The Public hanging of mr. peeples will be held this afternoon at the main square all are invited food and drinks will be provided.

[Edited on 2-4-2013 by Steve_hi]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 2-4-2013 at 06:58

This really is ridiculous. An erlenmeyer? A transformer? Illegal items in Texas? I hardly can believe this and take this seriously.

I can imagine that ordering 20 liter flasks for large scale distillation can raise some eyebrows (it does in the Netherlands), but small scale glassware (e.g. 250 ml and 500 ml flasks and distillation equipment) are not a problem at all.

The only two items which really are dubious for an amateur chemist are a tabletting machine and an encapsulation machine and ordering such machines may indeed lead to further investigations where I live, certainly if this is combined with purchase of certain chemicals.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-4-2013 at 08:23

If I had a restaurant in Texas I would buy a case of erlenmeyers, one for every table, and use them as vases for plants or something like that. Maybe the same amount of beakers to put the cutlery in... just to see how stupid they would look if they came to "inspect"

I wonder though, how many people have actually gotten in trouble from doing responsible home chemistry and ordering modest sized glass in Texas. I know there are some stories, but not that many. Usually these stories are omitting details such as complaints from neighbors about smoke, bangs and the like. I would imagine it makes it even worse on the ones who are found to be in possession of illicit materials because then you are not only breaking the law that way, but you also did not follow the protocol. This would give way to an even more severe prosecution I'm sure.

Either way, it makes the ones who want to enjoy chemistry live in even more fear than they already are, which is sad indeed.
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 2-4-2013 at 11:03

Half the time, in my experience, they're actually making illicit substances, come crying to us, and then expect us not to point out the obvious. There are exceptions, such as the OP (presumably), but that's the point - they're not too common.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
parmenides123
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-4-2013 at 11:30

I spoke with a lady named Jeanne Malone who is the head lady in charge at the DPS chemical precursor program, she informed me that they do regularly investiigate and prosecute people for using those items without a permit drugs/explosives or not. After that anonymous conversation I made this account and went into emergency order cancel mode. In order to get that permit your house has to be inspected and you have to have locked safe or locker that is bolted to a wall to hold the glass. You have to give them a list of exactly everything you will be doing with, if you have any criminal record you are denied. You go into all sorts of investigative databases. I have no illicit intentions, Im a chemistry major and from conversations with my professors and lab techs, ive come to the conclusion you cant do any kind of real deal chemistry without most of those items. Its a really sad state.
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 2-4-2013 at 15:48

What a pathetic state. So much for "freedom". Imagine all the meth coming across the border from Mexico that they can't do shit about.

Realistically I don't think a box coming in the mail would be that big of a deal. The packing list would say "Glass tubes $20" and who is going to investigate that? The only thing I had searched was a really suspicious looking package from Russia with old electronic components. I can kind of understand that.

Hopefully as a chemistry major you can fulfill your science desires that way :)

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 2-4-2013 at 16:19

That's insane. Illegal to own an Erlenmeyer flask? Does Texas have high schools where they teach chemistry in labs? Or are the students simply told to find the reactions on YouTube and write their lab reports based on the video clips?

Of course, it's getting nearly as bad in Canada. I've been told I have to re-write some of the labs for my chemistry courses because we can't order in any more potassium nitrate or anthranilic acid.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 2-4-2013 at 17:37

You are supposed to be able to get KNO3 because you have a proper institution ID, no?

Anyway, I will stick with survival chem, taking minerals on the ground is not very regulated (yet) and not suspicious at all. I'm pretty sure in a few years, my way of doing chem will become popular.

I never asked for this.
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 2-4-2013 at 17:58

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  

Of course, it's getting nearly as bad in Canada. I've been told I have to re-write some of the labs for my chemistry courses because we can't order in any more potassium nitrate or anthranilic acid.

RANT ALERT:

Its all Harper's fault, trying to make us more like Americans in the bad ways. Go away, you are ruining Canada. The same thing is happening with Toronto's mayor, I am so disappointed these people exist here.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
Thebrain
Harmless

Mood: indignant

[*] posted on 2-4-2013 at 19:15

It never would have occurred to me that a piece of glass might be illegal. Although, I guess it's possible. Some states outlaw glassware that might be used to smoke pot.
Steve_hi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 05:01

So crazy, it's not like you can't use a peanutbutter or jam jar to carry out a reaction in. It's just a law to make little old ladies feel like the police are doing something to protect them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Texas

[Edited on 3-4-2013 by Steve_hi]
parmenides123
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 07:27

You can buy an assault rifle with next to nothing at a gun show and go home with it that day, but heaven forbid you get a hold of what is essentially a funny shaped glass cup. FML
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 08:01

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
You are supposed to be able to get KNO3 because you have a proper institution ID, no?

Anyway, I will stick with survival chem, taking minerals on the ground is not very regulated (yet) and not suspicious at all. I'm pretty sure in a few years, my way of doing chem will become popular.

We do have proper institution ID, but either it's too much paperwork for the lab techs to order, or the suppliers have decided it's too much paperwork to sell to little-old-us.

We can't buy anthranilic acid, but methyl anthranilate (being artificial grape flavour) is cheap like borscht, and unregulated. I'd rant about how we can still get stuff from which we can easily make the other stuff, but if I do, some civil servant will scan the board and add things to the list.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top