Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anyone need a borohydride of natrium?
DoctorOfPhilosophy
Hazard to Others

Mood: enthralled

[*] posted on 15-4-2013 at 20:48
Anyone need a borohydride of natrium?

Hi guys and girls,
I bought some reagent grade NaBH4, but the min. order was half kilo, far more than I need, so I'm toying with the idea of sharing at no profit. It would be 35 cents per gram.

Here's the catch - I'm not lying on the customs form. Is there any interest in purchasing with truthful customs declaration? I know this is a tough one even for law abiding citizens, unfortunately that's the way things roll.

In terms of shipping, I'm pretty sure small amounts are exempt from the full hazmat procedure but I need community input on this one.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 15-4-2013 at 22:59

IATA regulations provide shipping options of small quantities of dangerous goods:

http://www.ehs.washington.edu/eposhiphazmat/shipquantities.p...

I myself ordered thallium nitrate (2 x 25 grams) and this could be sent in a normal parcel with an E-sticker on its outside, telling that it contains UN2727 (the UN-number for thallium nitrate). Using this method of shipping there is no need to fear customs.

Limited quantities frequently are restricted to 25 grams per inner package and 500 grams total. So, you can even ship more than 25 grams, but the material must be divided over multiple inner containers (e.g. glass bottles with suitable caps, each bottle wrapped in protective foam and plastic), which together are packaged in a sturdy outer box with protective foam and plastic.

Another issue is the value, stated on the parcel. Keep that low (below $30). This has nothing to do with safety, it is just a matter of not having to pay taxes on low-value materials. So, be honest about its contents and hazardous nature and use an E-sticker, but keep economic value low. The seller of my thallium nitrate did not do that, he stated a value of $72 and on receipt of the package I had to pay EUR 27 (more than $35) additional taxes and that is a bad thing.

[Edited on 16-4-13 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
DoctorOfPhilosophy
Hazard to Others

Mood: enthralled

[*] posted on 16-4-2013 at 09:21

Thanks for the info woelen, I've gotten a few shipments like this with a similar ORM-D sticker. Consumer commodity is a bit of a stretch but the E sticker works.

Go To Top