Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ammonium nitrate + Hexamine and...
SherlockHolmes
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-4-2013 at 13:45
Ammonium nitrate + Hexamine and...

This is a complex alloy of the ammonium nitrate with methenamine, sometimes with the addition of aluminum, copper oxide and the like. A high detonation velocity to 5700 m / s is explained with 2 items: the addition of copper oxide - formed tetraamono copper nitrate (TACN) hexamine (III)cooper hexanitrate This is brisant explosives (on them due to the color blue) and simultaneously are catalysts explosive decomposition of the ammonium nitrate, and the formation of methylamine nitrate (blasting explosive detonation velocity of 6100 m / s) at the partial thermolysis of methenamine in an environment of molten ammonium nitrate.

Detonation Velocity: 4200 - 5000 m / s at a density (ρ;) 1.0, and 5700 m / s at 1.23 and metal housing.
materials:
90g of ammonium nitrate
3 g Aluminium - powder
1 g Copper oxide
8 g Hexamine
Ammonium nitrate melt with gentle heating (hot plate or sand bath) and was removed from the heat source.

Add Hexamine and copper oxide, stirring constantly. Smell of ammonia and the solution turns blue.

Add aluminum (initially floats on top) and stirring was continued until the mixture was crystallized in a dense, slightly moist texture.

Still warm transfer to an airtight container or plastic bag ( because it is extremely hygroscopic)and shake vigorously for a few minutes. You need to break up any lumps to work properly!

Initiation: 1g ETN + 0.10 g lead azide. In metal body deodorant shows excellent results - blows are powerful, almost no smoke with a sharp sound. Is sealed to denisty 1.15. In a plastic bag - the explosion is weak, there are a lot of white smoke, damage is relative. small commensurate with Ammonal 90/10.

Can be cast but is not so powerful.

This is test with 100g explosive in cooper shell
vs. 5mm iron plate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXO8kHtxEIE

[Edited on 17-4-2013 by SherlockHolmes]

[Edited on 18-4-2013 by SherlockHolmes]

Sorry for my english. I am not from England. Thank you!
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 17-4-2013 at 15:46

I have been interested in compositions containing hexamine. Hexamine is an interesting fuel; conveniently solid, but easily volatizes. This can be either a good or bad thing. In deflagrations, it seems that there is a tendancy for the hexamine to simply volatize and burn away before the solid oxidizer has a chance to get hot enough to decompose and release oxygen.

Hexamine di-nitrate may be another interesting fuel-rich additive to compositions, either for detonating, or just as part of a deflagrating pyrotechnic composition. I am not entirely sure how this salt would behave during deflagration, whether it would easily volatize or not. I have a feeling it would not even be flammable in the absence of additional oxidizer.

Ammonium perchlorate and hexamine di-nitrate together would probably be a good combination.

[Edited on 17-4-2013 by AndersHoveland]
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 17-4-2013 at 22:31

very interesting... but that car gave me some serious nerves.. these kinds of things you dont want witnesses with (;
but could this possibly be initiated as 100g with say 0.5g etn instead? 0.5g etn is good initiation after all, would like to hear about the sensitivity of this.. IIRC anh. TACN is pretty sensitive relative to other stuff..
also can you try and stress test the finished substance as in heating it as much as possible to see if it can go off that way?
it would be a dangerous thing if you dropped a tiny amount of this on the stove and it initiated all of the other substance in between your hands.. (:
but sounds promising..
i think you should perhaps add some Fe2O3 to the finished product as the CuO might have been used up and there will not be any catalyst left at that time, meaning less initiations energy (:
brilliant..

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
SherlockHolmes
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-4-2013 at 23:41

In theory detonated by one gram. gun-cotton with a density of 1.10 but I say one gram. ETN to no unexploded charges later. Composition not deflagrate or at least not be lit by a lighter. Just melt. Composition is much better than Ammonal 90/10. To achieve the test result of the video they want to at least 150g. Ammonal 90/10 and at least 300g ANFO.

SherlockHolmes
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-4-2013 at 06:32

Here are a few tests of Russians in Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%D0%B0%D0%BC%D0%...

This test shows that poorly prepared "аммотропин" without aluminum and copper oxide in a plastic housing and low density is even weaker than ammonal 90/10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5tz8ARujSM

In it there is a thick cloud of smoke indicating a slow and incomplete detonation of the composition just burns without work. Commenting writes that man has simply mixed without being heated which is simply a mixture of oxidizer / fuel. This one kilogram probably would not have scratched iron on which I tested,

Density above 1.3 also loses its explosive properties.

Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2013 at 08:24

Ammotropin is like anfo that can be set off at a little higher density...
SherlockHolmes
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-4-2013 at 10:34

The detonation velocity of ANFO varies from 3200 m / s to 3800 m / s. Try pressing ANFO to 1.25 and try to detonate it :D

Go To Top