GreenD
National Hazard

Mood: Not really high anymore

[*] posted on 25-4-2013 at 14:11
Solid-Liquid Azeotropic Distillation

This paper
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18498150

describes a procedure:
"The product was azeotroped with toluene and the resulting solid was used in the next step."

I am wondering what the best apparatus would be for this, as any condensation (incorrect term) of the solid is going to be a mess to clean up from a regular distillation apparatus. I can't find much with "solid azeotrope distillation" with UTFSE

ʃ Ψ*Ψ
Keepin' it real.
Check out my new collaborated site: MNMLimpact.com
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 26-4-2013 at 15:08

Relevant physical properties of this product and resulting "solid" are not described, so I'm unsure why I must assume problems. Assuming the product is a solid, mechanical stirring is the only extra thing about this in many cases; not even that, if the flask and amount of toluene is large in comparison or the solid is light/fluffy. And if the product does stick to the RBF, it is presumably dissolved in a solvent in the next step?

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-4-2013 at 03:52

Add some toluene, distill it using a Dean-Stark trap till no more water comes over and distill it till all solvent comes over and be happy with the remaining dry solid.

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-5-2013 at 08:39

Quote: Originally posted by kristofvagyok  
Add some toluene, distill it using a Dean-Stark trap till no more water comes over and distill it till all solvent comes over and be happy with the remaining dry solid.

The procedure does not call for such a treatment. It only says that the residue after rotavaping was "azeotroped with toluene" which does not involve any refluxing or Dean-Stark traps. Besides, this question was already raised in a recent thread.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!

Go To Top