Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Australia (*Facepalm*)
DrSchnufflez
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 04:41

I bought a stirring hotplate from their eBay store and was well impressed by the service.
Mesa
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-9-2013 at 06:00

I realize this is a bit of a necro, but I figure it's acceptable given content.

I went down to Battery World the other day, the storefront was closed but the workshop was open and a few labourer/tradies were sitting around looking bored. I walked up and asked if I could grab some sulphuric acid off them, they tossed me a litre of ~30-35% for free. I've boiled about 150ml down to 70ml and noted no discoloration whatsoever, testing with litmus paper resulted in a piece of charred carbon :P.

That being said, I don't see why hydrogen peroxide is seen as such a precious resource(and therefore not worth using to clean Momar H2SO4.) 50% H2O2 is readily available for chips from any hydroponics store e.g.
http://www.hydroponicxpress.com.au/shop/p-gt-oxy-plus-hydrog...

Regarding SS; I've bought the vast majority of my glassware from Science Supply, the guy that runs the shop is quite friendly and quick to respond to emails. I originally grabbed a 24/29 distillation kit advertised as a cheap chinese import. When it arrived I found that the side necks on all the flasks were 19/26. After emailing him about it he offered to send out some 19/26 ground glass stoppers for free.
Also, It's noted on his site that the breaking bad reference was unintentional. It was meant to be a reference to the German physicist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Heisenberg

Regarding HNO3; I grabbed 3kg of LR potassium nitrate off an Australian ebay seller for about $25 a few months ago. Addition of H2SO4 then distillation should give me fairly pure HNO3 at its azeotrope(68% IIRC)
Given how often this reaction is cited on SM, I assume I should be fine not providing a reference here(can only find yahoo answers or about.com types from google.)

My biggest problem is sourcing any reagents/solvents that could be considered even mildly interesting. I can get sodium hypophosphite by the bucketload from the hardware store, but I can't get clean MEK without travelling 200+Km(or having it posted).
So it seems the regulatory committee's don't mind me making as much H3PO3/Meth as I want, but heaven forbid I ever try to recycle plastics with something non-flammable!
Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-9-2013 at 00:57

Mesa assuming you live in australia, it would do you good to actually read the thread. I specifically mentioned where to get MEK in australia. Or perhaps you don't live near a plumbing supplies co-op?

Also, the Nitric acid comes over as fuming nitric acid, and its entirely possible to get it at >90% especially if you use a vacuum and excess sulfuric acid.

Mesa
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-9-2013 at 08:59

Quote: Originally posted by Oscilllator  
Mesa assuming you live in australia, it would do you good to actually read the thread. I specifically mentioned where to get MEK in australia. Or perhaps you don't live near a plumbing supplies co-op?

Also, the Nitric acid comes over as fuming nitric acid, and its entirely possible to get it at >90% especially if you use a vacuum and excess sulfuric acid.

Plumbing supplies stores that carry MEK won't sell it to people without an ABN(Loc: Newcastle.) The store you linked to has an outlet about 15 minutes from me, they were one of the first I tried after getting the local hardware store's MEK(which was full of polymerized goop).

Moreover, MEK was simply an example of something that has precisely 2/7th's of sweet fuck all to do with explosives/drug manufacture, but none-the-less require a huge amount of hassle to get in any respectable purity.

There is a difference between reading a thread, and comprehending it.

[Edited on 17-9-2013 by Mesa]
DrSchnufflez
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-9-2013 at 15:41

Try a pool supply house or Clark rubber as I found my butanone there. It's sold as a solvent for the solvent welding of pool pipes and the likes. At least in Victoria it is...

And it is Butanone as I've manged to form butanone azine from it in the hydrazine Sulfate prep.

‘I’m free and easy-I’ll see you there!’
- Our Sunshine, Paul Kelly
starman
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-9-2013 at 22:23

RR75 asked:
I'm a bit late to the discussion but I thought I'd ask... does anyone have any experience or knowledge of Science Supply? Their site is interesting, but I'm wary of ordering from a website that references Breaking Bad in their lab equipment section.

I've used science supply a couple of times. He's a nice guy and ships his stuff out promptly. I haven't purchased any of his ground glass however so I can't vouch for its quality.
I know from correspondence with him that he is a long time lurker on this site and his heart is in the right place regarding amateur chemistry.

@Doc B Don't mean to be rude but wanted to ask how you happen to be in a position to sell AR Reagents and what your motivations and Bona Fides are?

[Edited on 18-9-2013 by starman]

Chemistry- The journey from the end of physics to the beginning of life.(starman)
hames
Harmless

Mood: as was

[*] posted on 21-9-2013 at 20:55

A good place to get 98% sulphuric acid and other chemicals is a place called allens in Brisbane,I got two 15l containers for about 30-$40each they have to order it in from their suppliers they were actually trying to push a 205l for about $300 but I don't own a forklift to get it off the ute, I'm sure they would also be able to supply H2O2 and solvents such as butanone anything industrial, they have a big sign out the front that says they sell to the general public,I also got all my glass from matt at sciencesupply and I assume its good quality in comparison to say wiltronics glassware.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top