Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Interesting Explosive From Nitromethane and Ammonia
Farnsworth
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 19:49
Interesting Explosive From Nitromethane and Ammonia

I was doing a bit of offhand research into nitromethane/nitric acid explosives and stumbled onto this little gem.

http://www.wydawnictwa.ipo.waw.pl/cejem/vol-9-1-2012/Shekhar...

It would seem that explosives ordnance disposal have come across a neat combination of materials here.

Quote:

Nitromethane (NM or CH3NO2) is a chemical reagent which cannot be detonated on its own even after receiving a very high shock from a detonator. However it can be used as a propellant and its combustion behaviour has been investigated [1, 2]. The integration of the kinetics of the C−N bond scission of nitromethane has allowed an elementary reaction scheme to be established. The reduction to a very simplified mechanism gives the reactions for a transient combustion calculation. The theoretical results obtained for the profiles of temperature, species and burning rates agree roughly with the experimental data of strand burner measurements. Only when NM is sensitized by the addition of other chemicals, can it be used as an explosive. NM sensitized with ammonia (5-6%) can detonate with standard blasting caps and delivers around 24% more power as compared to conventional TNT (trinitrotoluene).

Quote:
The velocity of detonation
is 6300 m/s under confinement and the volume of the gaseous products of
detonation is 1060 litres per kg...

...The density of NM with 5% polyox (gelling agent) and 5% micro-balloons was found to be 1.04 g/cm3 with a VOD of 5300 m/s...

...As an extension to this work, a 4 mm thick plastic tube was filled with gelled
NM, attached with a 1.25 mm thick copper cone with cone angle of 60° [34] and
tested against MS target positioned at an optimum standoff distance of 5 cone
diameters. NM sensitized with DETA resulted in the formation of a copper jet
of adequate strength and a penetration of 52 mm was realized. In the explosive
filling, gelling by addition of microballoons and polyox resulted in reduction of
the VOD and penetration of the charge. For 5% each of microballoons and polyox,
a VOD of 4880 m/s was realized and penetration of only 30 mm was achieved.
It was also shown that with 10% concentration of both, the copper liner spatter
on the plate and penetration of the order of 15mm only was achieved because
the VOD was reduced to 4292 m/s.

It would seem to me then, that a solution of 89% NM, 6% ammonia, and 5% gelling compound could produce a fairly inexpensive, powerful, and quite useful energetic. One that lacks the nasty corrosive attributes of the NM/NA composition and is easier to gel.

The first question that comes to mind is "what kind of ammonia"? I'm guessing 6%bw of anhydrous? Does anyone have more info to build on?

[Edited on 10-5-2013 by Farnsworth]
Motherload
Hazard to Others

Mood: Shitty

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 20:49

I am going to suspect that nitromethane is acting as the acid and forming a "salt" with NH3. Ammonium Nitromethanate. (And not a salt of Nitro Formic Acid/carboxylic acid)
The synthesis seems very vague.
My guess would be 5-6% ammonia by mass. I will have to calculate molar masses to see if it would make sense stoichiometrically.
Also ... I don't believe dry gas would be required ..... Nitromethane is and the "salt" probably is insoluble in water and could be separated from the solution as the reaction is completed.

This is just a speculation ... I have no published material that I am quoting from.

[Edited on 10-5-2013 by Motherload]

"Chance favours the prepared mind"
"Fuck It !! We'll do it live !!"
Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 23:42

interesting, but the link didn't work for me

Farnsworth
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 06:22

Fixed the link. Apologies.

[Edited on 10-5-2013 by Farnsworth]
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 20:07

Nitromethane reacts with bases. In the absence of water, a basic salt of nitromethane is formed (the so-called aci- form of nitromethane), but in the presence of water the reaction is more complex. Either way, the resulting compounds are much more sensitive.

Quote:
When nitromethane is mixed with a concentrated solution of ammonium hydroxide, after several hours the liquid develops a dark brown color and a crystal substance begins to form. The small crystals formed are colored and difficult to purify.

In a bottle, 20 cc (cm3) of pure nitromethane is mixed with 8 cc of the ammonia solution, and ammonia gas is then bubbled into the mixture until it is complely saturated (until no more gas can dissolve). A cap is then placed on the bottle and the bottle is kept under 10 °C for about a day. The crystals which separate out are then removed and gently crushed into a moist powder. The powder is placed on an unglazed clay tile to draw out the water and allowed to air dry. The residual liquid still in the bottle is again saturated with ammonia gas and the process is repeated as before. This method will yield about 12 grams of the crystal substance.

The crystals are soluble in methanol, less soluble in ethanol, and nearly insoluble in ether or chloroform. When the crystals are heated, they decompose, producing some poisonous hydrogen cyanide gas.

The crystals are ammonium 2-nitroethanaloximate, with the formula
NH4(+) C2H3N2O3(-).

The structure can be written HON=CHCH=NO2(-).

https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1089

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iscHVlucDfI

[Edited on 11-5-2013 by AndersHoveland]

Go To Top